Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 08:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Harrison ,AR, (which I live close to) has a very bad reputation for racism, but not long ago I saw a picture of a newly married couple in the Harrison newspaper. One was black and the other was white. I don't remember which was which. I believe this is a first for Harrison. Times are a-changing. Good luck. I hope you find a compatible place to live.
I think Harrison is a little different from most of AR. or that is my understanding.

Nita

Old 12-19-2010, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,861 times
i am from arkansas and i live in little rock now....arkansas is one of those states that are slow on everything!it is alot more interrcial dating though now days!i dated a white women for the first time in 2002 and married her in 2004 and we are still together.you might get a few retard looks from hillbillys and dumb rednecks depending on where you are!my advice love who you want to love anywhere you are in the world because live is to short to worry about ignorance!oh yea dont believe everything you read...white guys are dating alot more out their race nowadays in little rock, fort smith, and fayettville arkansas.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyric View Post
i am from arkansas and i live in little rock now....arkansas is one of those states that are slow on everything!it is alot more interrcial dating though now days!i dated a white women for the first time in 2002 and married her in 2004 and we are still together.you might get a few retard looks from hillbillys and dumb rednecks depending on where you are!my advice love who you want to love anywhere you are in the world because live is to short to worry about ignorance!oh yea dont believe everything you read...white guys are dating alot more out their race nowadays in little rock, fort smith, and fayettville arkansas.
and what brought this up may I ask?

Nita

Old 12-19-2010, 11:26 AM

731 posts, read 1,367,341 times
Any posts with the words "interracial, gay, liberal, conservative, racists, tolerance" live forever. This post will be around 10 years from now.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:48 PM

18 posts, read 39,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I always prefer honest answers. I'd like for those answers to be positive, but it is what it is. I just don't want to move to an area where I can't live my life freely. Thus, why I'm doing research a year ahead of my move. I'm leaving L.A. because I'm not happy here and I would hate to move 1500 miles to stay unhappy.
I understand you not wanting to move to an area where you can not live your life the way you want. I moved to NWA - Bella Vista - about 5 years ago, had someone been honest with me, I would not have moved here. I found, just my opinion, that if you do not agree with the people in charge, you are an outcast. If people here do not like your opinion, you are an outcast. If you voice that opinion, watch out. Of course, there are some that really don't care what you do, but the majority, if they don't like you, you know it. There are 2 things we must remember: 1. Thou shalt not judge lest ye be judged; and 2) integrety - integrety comes when character is tested, be true and never be ashamed of doing what is right.

What is right for one isn't always right for another person. Keep the faith, only you can make yourself happy. Don't worry about what others think or say, as long as you are enjoying life, that is all that matters. It is better to have a few good friends than many untrue, backstabbing people in your life. I don't know what Fayetteville is like, never lived there but did hear many good things about it. Visited Hot Springs several times, loved it.

As for me, I do not want to live in a place like this. I am in search of a new home also. I found out what I didn't want by moving here. Now I can find what I do want, and I know I will.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:50 PM

18 posts, read 39,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonsglow13 View Post
I understand you not wanting to move to an area where you can not live your life the way you want. I moved to NWA - Bella Vista - about 5 years ago, had someone been honest with me, I would not have moved here. I found, just my opinion, that if you do not agree with the people in charge, you are an outcast. If people here do not like your opinion, you are an outcast. If you voice that opinion, watch out. Of course, there are some that really don't care what you do, but the majority, if they don't like you, you know it. There are 2 things we must remember: 1. Thou shalt not judge lest ye be judged; and 2) integrety - integrety comes when character is tested, be true and never be ashamed of doing what is right.

What is right for one isn't always right for another person. Keep the faith, only you can make yourself happy. Don't worry about what others think or say, as long as you are enjoying life, that is all that matters. It is better to have a few good friends than many untrue, backstabbing people in your life. I don't know what Fayetteville is like, never lived there but did hear many good things about it. Visited Hot Springs several times, loved it.

As for me, I do not want to live in a place like this. I am in search of a new home also. I found out what I didn't want by moving here. Now I can find what I do want, and I know I will.
OOPs, I guess I should have looked at the dates sooner!!

Old 01-03-2011, 05:48 PM

40 posts, read 117,984 times
Default That's my question?

" What is it about Arkansas that makes you want to move there?" (Sorry Arkansas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I don't know about Arkansas. I am a white man who is dating a black woman. It is widely accepted here in the Tampa Bay area. What is it about Arkansas that makes you want to move there?

Old 01-03-2011, 06:24 PM

4 posts, read 6,020 times
I currently live in Memphis, my home is Stockton CA. I miss CA terribly with all of its lakes to fish on especially Camanche Lake in Ione, CA 30 miles N.E. of Stcokton. As far as interracial dating or marriage in Memphis I have seen many couples that are black and white. People down here still look and take a second even third look. I Love it personally because it shows that some adults will not be bothered by other peoples demonic minds of prejudice and racism.

But why you being in California would won't to move to Arkansas is beyond me. I came to Memphis after having lived in Oklahoma 14 years; working for American Airlines and graduating from Bible School in Broken Arrow, OK. I have been pastoring in memphis for over 15 years.

As far as arkansas probably a larger city like Little Rock would be a good choice but those little towns well you better make sure you know how to legally protect yourself you might to. Maybe a short visit would provide you with the info you need about if you could handle the bias and hate you might expereince if you move there.

We have had interracial couples in our church and I loved it but they did not stya very long; from a few months to a couple of years or so. Christians have no business being racist and filled with prejudice or hate. We have the love of God in us and that love (agape love) transcends natural, human love which is limited and blind and restrictive.

Just give it a go and let us know what you find.

By the way, I am a black 58 year old pastor;Moderator cut: no advertising

Last edited by Kimballette; 01-03-2011 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 01-05-2011, 03:39 PM

245 posts, read 545,239 times
I lived in NW Arkansas for a few months, and myself being hispanic and my wife African American, I never once encountered anything odd, or funny looks either. At work it felt more like a beautiful refreshing surprise to some( so I think lol) but I am sure some would be open to it. I will say that most people I had met in Ar were not too interested in interracial dating, but were not against it either. I found the place very friendly and welcoming, I would live there again if I had to.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce81 View Post
I lived in NW Arkansas for a few months, and myself being hispanic and my wife African American, I never once encountered anything odd, or funny looks either. At work it felt more like a beautiful refreshing surprise to some( so I think lol) but I am sure some would be open to it. I will say that most people I had met in Ar were not too interested in interracial dating, but were not against it either. I found the place very friendly and welcoming, I would live there again if I had to.
Bruce, I am glad you posted, obviously you have a better understanding than many of us. No matter who we are, we might have issues, either one way or the other, but you experience the interracial situation daily. I see more and more families here in NWA that are mixed and have rarely, if ever, heard a truely negative comment about them or seen anything unusual. The more we are exposed to diversity the easier it is for us to learn to accept changes.

Again, thanks for posting your experiences here.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas