U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:07 PM

5,612 posts, read 13,117,778 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a single 39 yo Black female who lives in Los Angeles, CA. I'm very interested in moving to Arkansas (I haven't decided what part yet), so I've been reading quite a few threads here. I have to admit the ones that concern race relations (interracial relationships in particular) have concerned me because I date white men and from what I've read here, if I move there without being in a couple, I'll stay single. Any information that can help me?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:13 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,108 posts, read 7,274,482 times
Junkman
Jump on board, looks like we are trolling again...

Old 02-10-2008, 08:15 PM

Default Not Trolling

I am not trolling. This an honest question.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:07 PM

774 posts, read 1,617,209 times
I don't know about Arkansas. I am a white man who is dating a black woman. It is widely accepted here in the Tampa Bay area. What is it about Arkansas that makes you want to move there?

Old 02-10-2008, 10:31 PM

I lived in a rural / very nature area of California and loved it, so I'm looking for something similar. Also, even though I don't have children yet( I do plan to), I don't like the idea that a child - even as young as 11 or 12 - can walk into a clinic and have a major medical procedure without her parents knowledge.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:00 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,749,263 times
CESpeed...

I think your best friend is the "search" function in this forum. There have been absolutely reams written about this very subject within the last few months...just scroll down the Arkansas pages and you should be able to find what you need.

The general concensus of opinion is that we have rocketed into the 20th century as Arkansans. While the more rural areas may not be totally accepting, the larger areas of Little Rock and the NW corner of the state are more tolerant of all kinds of lifestyles.

Even the most "cosmopolitan" areas of Arkansas will be considered rural by Cali standards, I would think. The truly rural areas might drive someone who is used to a faster pace and more amenities batty...I think we would all agree that SE and south central AR are not where you want to be. Another area to consider would be the northeast part of the state, up close to Memphis. Your better question might be "can I find work in my field?" if indeed you need to work - and again, you most likely will circle back to Little Rock and NWA.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:40 AM

Hello, Sam. I've read quite a few of your posts and I'm glad you weighed in. Actually working in my field generally is not a problem, I've checked that out (I'm a social worker). As much as I like L.A., I loved in living in the rural area of California I lived in. The slow pace won't bother me, it sounds as though if I'm willing to travel a little bit, I can find a sorts of entertainment. However, it doesn't make sense to me to move to an area where I'll stay single, I can stay in L.A. for that.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:52 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,749,263 times
One of my son's friends is a social worker in Bentonville? Sprindale? Rogers? Somewhere up there...and they are always short-handed, but I don't know if that's a lack of state funds or no qualified people. I know she has another part-time job, and I can only assume that is to make ends meet. I doubt the payscale will make you start packing your bags...she's in child protective services, I think.

I think northwest would be pretty accepting, as would the area right around Eureka Springs. To be honest, though, I'm not sure there's much of a black population around Eureka which may make you more of an oddity than anything you could do with regard to dating. Fayetteville? Well, the demographics are younger there, I would think, just by virtue of the University....not that I want to run you off from Arkansas, but have you considered the outlying areas of Memphis, like Horn Lake, Mississippi? That area is growing really fast too...but the MS people could tell you more about acceptance. As far as Little Rock, people talk about it being close-minded but it looks to me like just about anything goes.

My assumption is that a lot of this was started with previous generations - as the boomers and their children sort of inhabit the world now, I think you can count on more acceptance. Or maybe that's just me.....I just figure whatever melts your butter is okay with me!

Old 02-11-2008, 09:35 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,799,667 times
I've seen a fair number of interracial couples here in the LR/Central AR area.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:40 AM

730 posts, read 1,952,130 times
I think that interracial dating is pretty much accepted in Northwest Arkansas at this point and in Little Rock. Not so sure about the rual areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or