Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2016, 07:17 AM

643 posts, read 471,239 times

Advertisements

My wife and I bought land near HSV. 4.5 acres nice view public water cable internet. The land last sold for 25k we bought for 18k. We see homes are declining in value still in the area and maybe its a good idea to buy an existing home, so now how do you get out of the land? Vacant land is not selling in Arkansas from what we are seeing. The housing market is still down in Arkansas. We have had it for sale for a few months but I also know that about now to next month is when season comes on. If anyone has a pulse on the property market in the area please bring me up to speed. My real estate agent is fine but several view points are always good to cross ref.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 08:57 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,610,944 times
You haven't stated any negatives about the land, only that the market is going down. Lower the price. There is ALWAYS a price point that the market will react to, that overcomes any and all negatives that the property may have. You just haven't found it yet.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
You haven't stated any negatives about the land, only that the market is going down. Lower the price. There is ALWAYS a price point that the market will react to, that overcomes any and all negatives that the property may have. You just haven't found it yet.
The pros are fantastic ridge view,no HOAs, about 2 miles from HSV and 12 from HS. Paved road semi private community. Cons the lot is a bit narrow so it limits the size of home you can put on it. Its a small ridge of build-able land of of a ridge. It still would be easy to put a 13 to 1800sf home on it.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
The pros are fantastic ridge view,no HOAs, about 2 miles from HSV and 12 from HS. Paved road semi private community. Cons the lot is a bit narrow so it limits the size of home you can put on it. Its a small ridge of build-able land of of a ridge. It still would be easy to put a 13 to 1800sf home on it.
Land does not appreciate at the same rate as homes and you did purchase pretty much in what many would say the middle of nowhere. It sounds like, if you can afford it, you would be better off to purchase a home and keep the vacant land for now: sooner or later it will be salable. I did notice you said vacant land is not selling well in AR, you are right. That is because there is so much of it. As for your comment about the housing market: this many be true in the Hot Springs area I don't know, but in NWA the market is 8 doing quite well. Average, is back up to the prices thing were welling for just before the 2008 slump started.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:56 AM

The reason vacant land is not doing well is because building cost to buying a home existing is so far apart right now. Home prices are down to what it cost to build. The only reason we bought land was we liked the idea of having a few acres in a subdivision. The land in the sub runs from 3 to 20 acres.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
The reason vacant land is not doing well is because building cost to buying a home existing is so far apart right now. Home prices are down to what it cost to build. The only reason we bought land was we liked the idea of having a few acres in a subdivision. The land in the sub runs from 3 to 20 acres.
Sounds like a wonderful reason for buying land and yes, you are right, it is cheaper to buy already built, but I think this has always been the case.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:38 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,907,004 times
You need to supply some information to help us help you.

Did you buy the land strictly as an investment?
Did you purchase to put a retirement home or a vacation home on the property?
Is it a hideout and getaway from the world?

Without this info, its hard to help. But I will say that land is always a good LONG TERM investment. But in general it is not for a quick buck. I wouldn't be concerned about short term fall in prices. Depending on many conditions, it may well go up again in value in the future.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:47 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,621,220 times
I've got land in a nice area and it's been up for sale for at least 6 years. Despite reducing the price several times. Beautiful walk to lake and mountain views. Still can't find a buyer. It does have an HOA and rules about home square feet minimum. No cabins, trailers etc. maybe, it's putting people off? Just to let you know you aren't alone....

Old 07-06-2016, 07:08 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,541,867 times
Much depends on where it is located. I don't know what HSV stands for.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:12 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Much depends on where it is located. I don't know what HSV stands for.
Hot Springs Village (HSV)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas