U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 03:14 PM

5,612 posts, read 13,254,780 times

Advertisements

From the research I've done NWA sounds an awful lot like L.A. I'm trying to move away from L.A. It would be helpful to me if people would be specific about why they like or dislike an area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 03:43 PM

39,077 posts, read 23,193,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
And in the same post they always bash Little Rock. People in NWA generally have an unexplained disgust toward our state capital and its metro.

This is bashing, too. Most people in NWA like Little Rock and lots of other parts of Arkansas. You get a lot of posts from people extolling Northwest Arkansas who have just moved there and are excited by their new home. Kinda like you have just moved to Little Rock so you have positive things to say about that area. Some of us who have lived there all our lives have stayed here because we like it, so we say good things about it. We don't troll to bash other parts of the state. There are lots of negative posts about NWA as well.

As to the OP, I didn't post anything because NWA wasn't on his original list, and I felt like he had narrowed it down by some criteria that excluded Northwest Arkansas. My recommendation to anyone moving to Arkansas is to come visit first. Explore the state a little bit; it may be the smallest state west of the Mississippi, but it's very diverse, culturally, geographically, politically, economically, etc.

DC

Old 02-12-2008, 05:16 PM

69,411 posts, read 79,637,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
This is EXACTLY why the the Little Rock Metro and Northwest Arkansas should have their own subforums. A poster specifically asks for information about certain parts of the state, then the NWA folks have to throw in their same old rhetoric about how NWA is like heaven on Earth. NWA would be like NEA if it wasn't for Wal-Mart.
But it isn't like NEA regardless of why. what is wrong with people being proud of where they live?

Nita

Old 02-12-2008, 05:21 PM

69,411 posts, read 79,637,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
From the research I've done NWA sounds an awful lot like L.A. I'm trying to move away from L.A. It would be helpful to me if people would be specific about why they like or dislike an area.
Out of curiosity why would you think NWA is like L.A? We left Los Angeles area in 1981 and don't even like to go back to visit. We love NWA; there absolutely no similarities or none I can think of.

The area is not overcrowded, there is practically no crime or very little, property is very inexpensive, taxes are low. The people are mostly middle class and very friendly. People who live there are proud of where they live, it is very middle America and conservative. It gives you a down home feeling. It is clean and smog isnt' an issue. I could go on and on.

Nita

Old 02-12-2008, 08:01 PM

5,612 posts, read 13,254,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Out of curiosity why would you think NWA is like L.A? We left Los Angeles area in 1981 and don't even like to go back to visit. We love NWA; there absolutely no similarities or none I can think of.

The area is not overcrowded, there is practically no crime or very little, property is very inexpensive, taxes are low. The people are mostly middle class and very friendly. People who live there are proud of where they live, it is very middle America and conservative. It gives you a down home feeling. It is clean and smog isnt' an issue. I could go on and on.

Nita
I'm trying to get away from the "city". I guess I want my cake and eat it, too. I want to live in a rural area, but be close enough to a city where I can shop, to out dinner, maybe a movie every now and again and if I get sick, I'm not too far away from a doctor. A nice place to raise kids eventually works, too.

I'm spoiled,huh?

Old 02-12-2008, 08:06 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,363,681 times
OK Cali to Cali again.... NWA is nothing like LA Metro or the BAy Area, You drive 5 minutes out of town in NWA and your in the boonies... Drive 2 hours out of LA and your still crowded

Old 02-12-2008, 10:36 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,623,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
They feel like the red-headed step child. I used to feel that way as well.
Actually you can't say this anymore. NWA has been on the radar for many new-to-the-state national retailers, restaurants, and hotels while Little Rock has had the misfortune of getting ignored. I don't understand why this is being that central Arkansas beats NWA in both population, per-capita, and per-family income. You could use a favored younger sibling analogy in this situation. However, at least as far as restaurants are concerned, Little Rock has definate local flavor that NWA lacks.

Quote:
OK Cali to Cali again.... NWA is nothing like LA Metro or the BAy Area, You drive 5 minutes out of town in NWA and your in the boonies... Drive 2 hours out of LA and your still crowded
True there. NWA is NOTHING like LA, other than the fact its very sprawl oriented and you have to drive a sizable distance to get anywhere. At least LA is dense sprawl while NWA is very low density. The traffic will be a joke compared to what you are used to in California. There is only one Interstate, and it only has two lanes in each direction. Whats funny is people actually complain about how "bad" the traffic is up there. People here in Little Rock complain too, and while it does slow down at rush, its simply not comparable to what people in the major cities of this country have to deal with.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:35 AM

3 posts, read 12,567 times
CE, Arkansas is 1 of the most beautiful states that I have ever had the pleasure to drive through. With the northern part of the state there are mountains and hills and lakes and the kind of beauty that some people have only dreamed of seeing. And the southern part is mostly flat farm land with rivers but not near the beauty of the northern part of the state. Wikipedia encyclopedia can help you with just about anything you want to know about Arkansas that you might want to find out.....

Old 02-13-2008, 01:13 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,525,479 times
Tajasmi obviously said it cause she didn't have good experiences there. It is their opinion which is fine, no need to get too excitable . My dads best friend lives in N. Little rock and thinks its ok. I personally don't care for W. Memphis either, i think its better on the tennessee side.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:53 PM

395 posts, read 1,230,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Why do I want to stay away from N Little Rock and W Memphis?

Well let me just say that from growing up there(in AR), those were the ONLY places I ever heard anything negative about...that's all. Gangs usually are the reasons...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas