U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:21 AM

58 posts, read 269,583 times

Advertisements

I have to side with Sheree..................don't see where the OP stated NW Ark ? Or am I missing something.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 01:30 PM

77,804 posts, read 97,834,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlrfo4 View Post
I have to side with Sheree..................don't see where the OP stated NW Ark ? Or am I missing something.
No, you are right, the OP didnt' mention NW AR, but many of us did suggest it as a possibility and included all of the NW section. I think another issue is; she has, twice referred to how liberal Fayetteville is one of the selling features of the area. All is well and good except nowhere has the OP indicated he wants to relocate to a liberal or a young swinging community.

Nita

Old 02-14-2008, 04:06 PM

5,612 posts, read 14,521,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No, you are right, the OP didnt' mention NW AR, but many of us did suggest it as a possibility and included all of the NW section. I think another issue is; she has, twice referred to how liberal Fayetteville is one of the selling features of the area. All is well and good except nowhere has the OP indicated he wants to relocate to a liberal or a young swinging community.

Nita

Hi. I didn't mention it becuase I had kind of already weeded out that area, but I'm open to suggestions from people who already live in the area. (Nita: I'm a "she" btw ) In checking out Fayetteville, I discovered there are 40 registered sex offenders. eek.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Hi. I didn't mention it becuase I had kind of already weeded out that area, but I'm open to suggestions from people who already live in the area. (Nita: I'm a "she" btw ) In checking out Fayetteville, I discovered there are 40 registered sex offenders. eek.
ok, she,Sam our moderator is a she also. I am sure Fayetteville is a great place for some, but from what you say you are looking for, it doesn't seem to be a good fit, not that I am the one who should be making the judgement. Of course you will eventually decide what is right for you and your family if you have one. I think some of us are just so sold on the NW corner we think everyone should feel this way. Our granddaughter, who is a senior at the University can imagine living anyplace but NWAK, she doesn't particularly want to stay in Fayetteville, but does love the surrounding towns.

Good luck, I am sure you will get plenty of advise.

Nita

Old 02-15-2008, 08:14 AM

Thanks. I hope so. So far, I haven't gotten any of the information I asked for, but a lot of arguing over an area I didn't ask about and attempts to interest me in an area I didn't ask about.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:51 AM

154 posts, read 651,140 times
Quote:
Thanks. I hope so. So far, I haven't gotten any of the information I asked for, but a lot of arguing over an area I didn't ask about and attempts to interest me in an area I didn't ask about.

You might like Texas.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:24 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,443,819 times
Quote:
One thing you'll definitely find with Arkansans is a lot of pride of place and that tends to result in a fair bit of bickering over what place is better.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
You are right, we are, but for whatever reason, people do get very passionate about certain subjects like families, where they have chosen to live, etc. This is human nature and certainly part of the technology age, we spend time reading and responding to forums and because we are not face anonymous we often gives our views in a way we would not in person.

Nita

Old 02-15-2008, 02:00 PM

5,981 posts, read 17,594,422 times
Okey-dokey, so let's help this poster out with her original list; we're going more rural here, which I think was the point we got to after several posts.

*Little Rock *Texarkana
*North Little Rock * West Memphis
*Jonesboro * Blytheville
*Conway * Camden
*Hot Springs * Newport
*Jacksonville *Stuttgart
*Sherwood *England
*Crossett *Hope
*Wynne * Magnolia
*Malvern *Monticello
*Warren *Clarendon

I can only comment on what I think I know, so here we go - and I'm not saying anything bad about the areas I comment on, just that they don't seem to meet the requirements.

If you don't want to live in a city, rule out Little Rock/NLR metro area, including Jacksonville/Sherwood, which merge into NLR and really don't have their own definite flavor, and most likely Hot Springs and Conway since they are good-sized towns by Arkansas standards. I personally think Conway melts into LR/NLR almost, but the Conway folks will say no - so to each his own. Knock out West Memphis and Texarkana, although each offers a little more in the way of shopping and entertainment, W. Memphis obviously from Memphis and Texarkana just because it's a little more populated and sitting over the state line.

Towns that are close to nothing in the way of dining, shopping etc.:

Blytheville took its share of knocks after the base closed down.
Camden is pretty out of the way.
I suppose Jonesboro is close enough to Memphis, but not for a run to town for a great dinner and movie. An hour or so?
Stuttgart is a rice field, pretty much. Not saying anything bad, it's a farming region, and there's rice. Lots of it. With rice comes lots of water, with water comes lots of mosquitos and oppressive humidity.

I like Hope, Malvern and Monticello...all nice little towns. Malvern has a great lake, DeGray, if you're into water sports. It's grown quite a bit lately, but kind of a sprawl-y growth.

Can't say anything about Wynne, Crossett and Warren.

England is close enough to Little Rock for a reasonably quick trip. It is pretty much out in the middle of nowhere but is a nice little community, maybe lacking the charm of Monticello or somewhere like that. There's nowhere for Little Rock/NLR to spread to now but toward England/Scott. It's very rural, there's no movie theater that I can remember, and little to nothing for kids to do in that area that isn't involved in agriculture or something like that. It's a really tiny dot on the map.

The only other town I can think of would be Batesville - again, if you get too far from the metro areas you really are close to nothing....and yet, you can be close to a metro area and still feel rural. Another area you might consider is the Sheridan or East End areas down south of Little Rock. Or Wye Mountain/Bigelow. But you are definitely rural...you're close to Little Rock and can get there fairly quickly, but these are not townships per se.

And that's my little view on the world...

Old 02-16-2008, 07:03 AM

Default Thank you

I appreciate the information so far. If there's more, please give it to me. I think it's great that people are so passionate about where they live. The passion telss me that these are good places to live. In L.A. the only people who LOVE it are very rich people or the illegals and immigrants because it better than where they came from. As for me, L.A. was great when I was growing up, but it's just gotten so bad I don't recoginze it anymore. So I'm really looking forward to moving to a place I can feel positively passionate about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas