U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 01:32 PM

4 posts, read 8,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwood45227 View Post
My parents are looking into moving to arkansas around june 2007 from daytonia beach,fl. With all the huricanes in the past 5 years everything has skyrocketed in prices down there. Can anyone suggest a small town that would be fairly cheap to move there? They are looking into renting a apt for one year unless they could find a house right away.
they both are in very good health for there age.
check out Mena, my husband and I are both retired and plan to move there
as soon as our house sells here in CA. Can't wait.!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 12:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,865 times
Mountain Home is a great place for retired people. Or one of the small towns around there. My parents live in Yellville and they love it there. They moved here from Arizona 10 years ago and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Bella Vista is also a great place for retired people. Even though there are more and more young couples moving there because the property there is very reasonable. We moved to Rogers 2 years ago from CA and we just love it!!!

Old 01-18-2007, 01:18 PM

8 posts, read 46,994 times
Default my pick

I am partial to Hot Springs or Hot Springs village. There are 2 hospitals, numerous medical facilities of every sort, restaurant's and shopping. If you need the airport it's an easy 50 mins to Little Rock. Hot Springs village is a premiere retirement gated community and is 25 mins from the town of Hot Springs. You can purchase a decent town home or ranch style home from 160,000. and under. The prices ranges can go up allot or down some depending on your hearts desire. There are multiple lakes and golfing in both towns. It can get hotter than blazes here in the summer but just go 10 or 15 mins to a great swimming lake, picnic and cool off. It might cost you 3 bucks a carload to use the state parks. lots of senior activities, music groups, volunteer opportunities, card games and country clubs to keep you busy. I live here because I love this state. We have lived in Calf, N Carolina, Virginia, Tenn, Ill. and I was born and raised to a young adult in Florida. We can live any where we want because of my husbands occupation and we choose here. Good luck.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,495 times
My Husband and I moved from PA. to AR. three years ago. We live in Pine Ridge (Lum & Abner Town) Population about 20. Mena is a nice place to live if you want to be in or near a town. Pop. there is 6,500. Prices are much cheaper then most other states, but property values are rising since many people are starting to move in to AR. We have the 4 seasons, but the winter is not as bad as it is in the Northern part of AR. We are in the Ouachita Mountain Range. If you like to fish then Mt. Ida would be a good place to be since it is near Lake Ouachita. Select Realty from Mena helped us out and were very nice to work with. You can check on their web site.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:08 PM

80 posts, read 326,677 times
Bella Vista is a beautiful place to live and a very easy commute to almost anywhere. Most the people living in Bella Vista are retired so the neighborhoods are quiet and friendly. There are many great parks, golf courses, and sporting activities around the city. Most of the area houses are tucked up into the mountains, giving their owners stunning views of the valley. There are cute shopping centers that give the town a nice flavor and great little coffee shops to sit down with a good book on a rainy day. In many ways Bella Vista, AR reminds me a little of Asheville, NC. The trees in the fall are breathtaking, a dream come true for photographers.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:11 PM

10 posts, read 53,125 times
Ft. Smith is a great city, too! For smaller communities, Charleston, Greenwood and Lavaca all surround Ft. Smith. A little hot in the summer, but great winter weather. Compared to Florida it is not so hot, though! Ft. Smith has everything available, although is not really very large either (compared to Florida cities).
My husband and I would love to live in Arkansas. We are retired. We just cannot leave our grandchildren in Illinois. Oh, if we could have only had our grandchildren first!!!

Old 03-11-2007, 02:43 PM

85 posts, read 275,475 times
BERRYVILLE or EUREKA SPRINGS, AR are both very nice choices. I lived there for a while growing up and loved the area--- also, my family still lives there. It's very beautiful and affordable--especially the Berryville area--- the people are all very friendly, greeting and waving their neighbors more than any other place I've lived. One more thing... it's not too far from Fayettville, AR, which is also another nice place to live.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:00 AM

4 posts, read 14,184 times
Bella Vista is a good choice. One plus for NWA is the the airport...you can get to almost anywhere in the US from XNA. A big plus for me...we live in a small town in SW VA and have to drive 2+hours to get to a good airport with decent airfare rates..Can't wait until we are back in NWA!

Old 05-06-2007, 07:27 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,541,431 times
Mountain Home or Mountain View.....Mountain View is further south and on the White River. If you don't want to back up to the river, the bluff view is gorgeous and land is plentiful and cheap. A lot of the homes right on the river are for trout fishermen, some are full time residences. To me, it has the really small-town feel that I adore. I would imagine taxes, etc. would be lower there.

If they wanted to be more centralized and located closer to Little Rock, maybe Plummerville or Morrilton? Morrilton has a "town", Plummerville is sort of a wide spot in the road - but it does give you good close access to hospitals, doctors, etc., since Conway is right down the road.

I don't know what is considered "cheaper" to you, but my husband and I giggle all the time - we have a 130 year old historic home we bought for $68 square foot, with $36 in taxes every year, right in the heart of Russellville....the same house in the Heights or Hillcrest in Little Rock or the historic area of Fayetteville would be in the mid six figures! Gotta love these small towns!

Old 05-08-2007, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,658 times
Mena, Arkansas. We recently bought property in the community of Big Fork on the Ouchita National Forest. Being originally from the Appalachians of East Tennessee - I have found a home away from home. Quiet, peaceful, and serene! Can this be for real? The people are great. The Spirit and Grit of Mountain People cannot be matched. (But I am bias!) Please travel Highway 8 east from Mena to Caddo Gap. You will not be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or