U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 4,124 times

Advertisements

I currently live in northwest Louisiana. I am seriously considering moving to the Hot Springs area. I am a Massage Therapist and I love the outdoors. Are there any reasons I should not move there? The research I have done so far seems to indicate a significant rise in crime there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 11:46 AM

4,749 posts, read 6,154,695 times
I think the crime is limited to certain parts of town....but I could be totally wrong about that, I'm not from the area. We walked the downtown area (last spring) and felt perfectly safe. Of course, it was daytime. Lots of "outdoors" to explore around there, for sure.

You might want to consider living in Hot Springs Village...safest place around, I think, and very clean, neat, pretty.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:13 PM

Okay, thanks so much!

Old 05-10-2016, 01:48 PM

4,749 posts, read 6,154,695 times
Be sure to check back for more replies, though, as my Hot Springs knowledge is limited to a few visits over the years.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:29 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,174,865 times
I have never lived in H.S. but have worked there several times over the years, and would not hesitate moving there. My sister has lived there for about 15 years and loves it.

One thing you should be aware of and that is that highways 70 and 270 west are bumper to bumper during commute time AM & PM. I don't know abut the other highways because my only experience has been with these, but I suspect they are all the same.

Good luck and welcome to The Natural State.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:31 PM

Thanks so much for the info!

Old 05-10-2016, 10:06 PM

265 posts, read 270,706 times
I think you would like it here. Small town, but it's a resort town so lots of restaurants, hotels, attractions, plus the lakes and mountains. Coming from I assume the Shreveport area? I don't think crime even compares here. Crime is certainly not on my radar.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:37 AM

574 posts, read 519,149 times
while i don't live full time in hot springs, i have owned a lake condo there for about 20 years. i rented/leased condos for a decade before that, so i have spent a lot of time in hot springs. i have never had an issue with crime, other than someone stole the battery off my boat about 15 years ago.

we have family and friends in town all the time. we eat out/entertain all over town, including downtown and we have never even witnessed a crime issue. we go to kroger and walmart after dinner on friday nights and no issues there either. the lakes are beautiful, the mountains are beautiful and there is usually something for just about everyone to enjoy in the area.

are there places that you could wander off into at night and something bad happen? probably, but i have never been there.

i have spent some time in nwla, (specifically la downs and shreveport area) and i find hot springs to be a much safer and better quality of life for all ages of people. i don't know if medical is important, but hot springs has great medical and is 45 mins from little rock which has some of the best in the nation.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:49 AM

69,353 posts, read 79,526,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
while i don't live full time in hot springs, i have owned a lake condo there for about 20 years. i rented/leased condos for a decade before that, so i have spent a lot of time in hot springs. i have never had an issue with crime, other than someone stole the battery off my boat about 15 years ago.

we have family and friends in town all the time. we eat out/entertain all over town, including downtown and we have never even witnessed a crime issue. we go to kroger and walmart after dinner on friday nights and no issues there either. the lakes are beautiful, the mountains are beautiful and there is usually something for just about everyone to enjoy in the area.

are there places that you could wander off into at night and something bad happen? probably, but i have never been there.

i have spent some time in nwla, (specifically la downs and shreveport area) and i find hot springs to be a much safer and better quality of life for all ages of people. i don't know if medical is important, but hot springs has great medical and is 45 mins from little rock which has some of the best in the nation.
Wow, I didn't know Hot Springs was only 45 minutes from Little Rock, are you sure about that?

OP, as for crime, I don't think I would stop me from checking Hot Springs and Hot Springs out. I have never heard much about the crime in either place. I do not live there, but we do visit periodically and our granddaughters husband was raised there. The only thing that might be an issue is, the city is a tourist town. For some that isn't a good thing. You might also check out the number of message therapists in the town. We have used a few, there are an awful lot, which might make earning a living a little more difficult.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:58 AM

5,500 posts, read 5,165,456 times
I am living in Dodge City, KS, with my wife. We just visited Hot Springs, AR, and enjoyed it very much. I don't worry about the crime but we're wondering if there's a place there one can live in for low cost. Maybe a small modular home or a mobile home of some sort.

Would Malvern or Benton or Arkadelphia be better choices to live for less money? I'm considering retiring at age 62 so we'd need to cover those high medical premiums until we turn 65. Then things would ease up considerably. So we'd need housing to be around $650 a month or less, if that's possible.

Again, the Hot Springs area is beautiful, but living in one of those surrounding towns would probably save us money, right? Anyone know the area pretty well who could help us with this question? We love the Natural State and would love to move there in 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or