U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 04:44 PM

10 posts, read 52,413 times

Advertisements

Those of you that seem to understand the "Dry" / "Wet" areas in the NWA areas, your close enough for great guessing. But if you want an answer from a queston like "Where should I live if I want full and complete access to a liquor store or an abundance of nice wet restaurants that dont require a useless yearly membership?"

Just move to my town of Fayetteville. Your headaches and wishes would just simply disappear. And, all public establishments are smoke free...if thats a plus for you as it is for me. (I say that without stepping on toes! To each thier own.)

For those not "in-the-know", Springdale is in Washington (wet) county as well, but has lesser of the entertaining type establishments as Fayetteville. North edge of Springdale is the county line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 08:15 PM

111 posts, read 395,293 times
The interesting question is WHY? I bet, if you dig, you'll find that ease of access to drinking didn't enhance the quality of life of the residents. Crime, domestic violence, auto fatalities, teen rowdies. It's not just prudes who want to go dry -- it's sensible people who hate dealing with the nonsense.

Last edited by Timtheman; 02-18-2008 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-18-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Throughout these threads, I've noticed two words that have scared the bejeezus out of me - Dry County. Equally scary - Dry City. As a native Cali girl, I must have my occaisional glass of wine. Can someone please tell me where these places are? I don't necessarily want to avoid those areas, but I like to make informed decisions.
Absolutely Tim, I have seen it so, and agree. I have failed to see where an interesting question of Why came about within this thread, I appologize. But this is the original question at hand above. And yes, its not so entertaining to know that the sensible and innocent have to deal with the indulgence of the wreckless and careless. But CESspeed seems a collected individual to me and only needs her occasional glass of wine. The "Why" aspect was not part of her interests, maybe someone elses that I missed. The "Where" aspect is what this whole thread is all about, because "Dry Counties" and "Dry Cities" scare her immensely!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:28 AM

111 posts, read 395,293 times
FayetteJeff,

Thanks for your post. You're right that I wandered a bit off topic. Sorry about that. I read into our clearly responsible friend's original post a sense of wonder that there are so many dry counties. Often I find folks don't really think about why and just write off folks who want to keep counties dry as prudes. It's really about overall quality of life -- especially in rural areas where drinking can become the sole "entertainment".

Old 02-19-2008, 08:42 AM

5,612 posts, read 13,245,233 times
Actually, I was surprised and I wasn't suprised at the same time when I first read the words "dry county". I was surprised because I didn't know those existed, but I remembered that Arkansas is in the Bible belt so it made sense to me. One of the reasons I'm doing so much research before coming is I'm trying to make sure that I'll fit in and be happy there. I don't think that people who voted for a "dry" county are prudes. I think they did some research and decided that was what was best for them.

I can have my wine sometimes and that makes me a happy girl.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:56 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,972,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtheman View Post
FayetteJeff,

Thanks for your post. You're right that I wandered a bit off topic. Sorry about that. I read into our clearly responsible friend's original post a sense of wonder that there are so many dry counties. Often I find folks don't really think about why and just write off folks who want to keep counties dry as prudes. It's really about overall quality of life -- especially in rural areas where drinking can become the sole "entertainment".
Quality of life as defined by Pentecostals, Baptists,Church of Christ! Be careful! Next they wont let ya dance!
" Footloose--everybody cut footloose!"

Old 02-19-2008, 03:26 PM

44 posts, read 172,997 times
CESpeed, don't worry about it. Those of us who lives here makes an 'outing' out of it. It's thirty to forty minutes to make a booze run from about anywhere in a dry county. It'a a tradition. It's OK to have it in a dry county, they just can't sell it in one. Yeah, I know...it's dumb.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:19 PM
MSN

12 posts, read 46,595 times
Yes, it is a slight drive to the nearest liquor store and that can sometimes be a pain (I definitely signed the petition to get the wet/dry issue on the next election ballot). Where we live in Rogers, it's about 10 minutes south to the county line and 20-25 minutes north to the state line.

I don't think the "yearly membership" in restaurants has been adequately explained. Years ago you had to fill out a membership card and pay $5. Now, however, most restaurants just make you sign a guest book as you enter the front door (not much of an inconvenience). Shogun is the only place that still asks us for a membership card and it does cost $5, but then they take $5 off your bill. With the exception of fast food type places, every restaurant that we go to has a liquor license.

One plus to Benton County - should you want to buy on Sunday, Benton Co. is a lot closer to Missouri than Washington Co. And when certain holidays fall near Sunday (Labor/Memorial Day & sometimes July 4th) or when the lottery gets high, it's especially fun to see the workers at Missouri liquor stores/gas stations trying to direct all the Arkansas license plates through traffic.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:46 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,908,005 times
mmmm....River Valley, Russellville - $5 to North Forty Supper Club and Daly's - and yeah, you get your card for a year...and yeah, they check at the door...you can go twice as a guest, I think, if you go with a member. And no, they don't take $5 off the bill! I think Savannah's in Dardanelle has a membership roster, too, but you don't get your handy-dandy card!

Old 02-19-2008, 06:20 PM

LoL, thanks Tim for finding my reply in humor, and I fully understood your point of Why. Everyday, I drive the interstate or go through 71 business, I ask, "Why" about every 5 minutes? lol

In reference to SBernard's reply, there is even a radio station on 104.9 the X that has a late evening show called "Matt's Beer Run". These beer runs happen all the time as a leisure outting, I hear they are the best with a 4x4 and a tank full of gas.

Thats not fair MSN, Copelands and Brioso Brazil didnt discount me my $5's. Wonder if they do now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or