Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:30 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieAussieAussie View Post
Thanks for the information everyone. I have a fair idea what I may consider now and that is to stay in Australia...ONLY JOKING!
One thing I am curious about as well, are there any scary bears around the areas of WM, Memphis and Marion when it snows?
There are bears in the mountainous areas of NW Arkansas, and even there they are rare compared to the mountain west. I don't think you have to worry in eastern Arkansas, especially anywhere near Memphis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 02:07 PM

264 posts, read 1,151,187 times
There arent any bears in the Memphis area of AR, however there might be a panther or two, coyotes, and maybe a manatee( Just kidding- they only found one lost all the way up here in the Mississippi River!) These are about as scary wildlife as you will encounter... 'cept for the manatee I guess... Oh, and it doesnt snow but maybe one good (1-3 inches) time a year...sometimes not even that much...

Old 02-23-2008, 07:25 AM

11 posts, read 71,479 times
Up in the north of Australia in the Northern Territory in the city of Darwin, crocodiles actually come on land and take peoples' dogs (a few people have gone missing too either to the crocodiles or the odd serial killer). The incidents are rare but they do occur and some of these crocs are 12 feet long. Not for me thanks! As to snow, Id say only 3% of the Aust population has ever seen it in the Snowy Mountains in holiday period so it would be a rare sight for me when living over there.
Do most people carry guns? Only the farmers have a licence to posses them here but on the TV we see that all Americans own them. Is this a fabrication of the movie makers?

Old 02-23-2008, 09:40 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
Yes we carry guns!! It is called the 2nd amendment to the constitution. It is to prevent the government from thinking that the citizens are there to serve them and forgetting that the government exists to serve the people. As long as Americans are well armed, there will be no dictators!

Old 02-23-2008, 02:48 PM

264 posts, read 1,151,187 times
Shoot yea we carry guns! No thanks to the Democrats... Not to be offensive to anyone who is, I just dont agree with their gun-carrying opinion. Guns speak much more strongly than words, might I add.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:02 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,112,180 times
I'm planning on learning to shoot when I move to Ark. Can someone tell me if the gun law varies from county to county or is there one state law?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:23 PM

11 posts, read 71,479 times
The idea scares the hell out of me. If a person in general is known to have a gun in their house here, we'd think they were psychotic. Of course there are people here who possess guns; either legally or illegally (probably more of those I'd say), but generally they're owned by enthusiasts to collect, compete, shoot pests in the rural areas and to use at registered gun clubs. The average person hasnt even laid hands on one. I have never seen a gun shop for example. The government did a great clean-out of citizen owned firearms back when we had the Port Arthur Massacre. Many owned up to those that they had; what the government did with them we don't really know. Anyway it was all a political ploy to humanise the Liberal Party at the time. Is owning guns in the US a matter of shooting someone before they shoot you first?

Old 02-26-2008, 05:37 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-rox View Post
Shoot yea we carry guns! No thanks to the Democrats... Not to be offensive to anyone who is, I just dont agree with their gun-carrying opinion. Guns speak much more strongly than words, might I add.
I'm a Democrat and i will never give uo my weapons. Dont be too quick to label please.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:46 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
Okay, I'm compelled to answer this...was hoping someone else would.

I think the OP may have the misguided notion that we are all toting our guns to the grocery store, which ain't the case...in most cases. I'd say guns have a healthy place of honor in many of our homes...we have shotguns, handguns, rifles. Are we carrying them daily? No. Do I know how to use them? Absolutely. Grew up with them in the family, although more in the extended family. My father with a handgun would scare the crap out of anyone, man or beast. Doesn't know one end from the other. We are not hunters but we have the guns. Why, not sure, but we do.

Regular folks aren't walking around with a boot gun every time they leave the house. It isn't the wild west - and what you see on t.v. doesn't apply to the vast majority of Arkansas. We tend to have a healthy respect for a gun and the power they hold, but carrying them for self-protection? Naw. I'll carry one if I'm on the road traveling and could end up by myself on a long stretch of lonesome, but not if I'm going to Wal Mart.

No, guns are not a matter of shooting before they shoot you, at least in Arkansas...they are just part of the scenery.

For the record, here's a link to gun laws in Arkansas...but how the law is enforced may vary greatly from Barney Fife to a state trooper.
What Are the Gun Laws in Arkansas?

There is a concealed carry permit. I'd betcha a good 80% of the folks that are carrying concealed weapons don't have one...but most folks don't carry concealed.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:27 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Okay, I'm compelled to answer this...was hoping someone else would.

I think the OP may have the misguided notion that we are all toting our guns to the grocery store, which ain't the case...in most cases. I'd say guns have a healthy place of honor in many of our homes...we have shotguns, handguns, rifles. Are we carrying them daily? No. Do I know how to use them? Absolutely. Grew up with them in the family, although more in the extended family. My father with a handgun would scare the crap out of anyone, man or beast. Doesn't know one end from the other. We are not hunters but we have the guns. Why, not sure, but we do.

Regular folks aren't walking around with a boot gun every time they leave the house. It isn't the wild west - and what you see on t.v. doesn't apply to the vast majority of Arkansas. We tend to have a healthy respect for a gun and the power they hold, but carrying them for self-protection? Naw. I'll carry one if I'm on the road traveling and could end up by myself on a long stretch of lonesome, but not if I'm going to Wal Mart.

No, guns are not a matter of shooting before they shoot you, at least in Arkansas...they are just part of the scenery.

For the record, here's a link to gun laws in Arkansas...but how the law is enforced may vary greatly from Barney Fife to a state trooper.
What Are the Gun Laws in Arkansas?

There is a concealed carry permit. I'd betcha a good 80% of the folks that are carrying concealed weapons don't have one...but most folks don't carry concealed.
a concealed carry permit is EZ to get and their is no reason to carry without one unless you can't pass the test or pass the background check. in that case you have better leave it at home.
I don't carry everywhere I go but I do have the option to carry when I want, Even in WalMart. The Arkansas CCW is good in 14 other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas