U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:33 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,036,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
Yes we carry guns!! It is called the 2nd amendment to the constitution. It is to prevent the government from thinking that the citizens are there to serve them and forgetting that the government exists to serve the people. As long as Americans are well armed, there will be no dictators!
And in states that have CCW crime is down, Cuz they never know who is packen. Some SOB say give me your car and your money, I'll give him something that he don't want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 06:36 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,898,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
a concealed carry permit is EZ to get and their is no reason to carry without one unless you can't pass the test or pass the background check. in that case you have better leave it at home.
I don't carry everywhere I go but I do have the option to carry when I want, Even in WalMart. The Arkansas CCW is good in 14 other states.
I guess that was my point - you have a CCW and the option to carry to Wally World and don't...and do you honestly believe the majority of good old boys are getting a CCW? Or the thugs? Nah. Either can't or won't pass background. I think most people are operating under the "better to ask forgiveness than permission" school of thought...and the carry law has enough holes in it to drive a truck through. Who's to say I'm not on a trip with a gun in my car?

I took the poster's question to mean that it sounded like everyone was carrying all the time for personal safety in case the gunfight broke out in the middle of the street. Nope, we just carry because we do.

Aussie, I've been to your country and loved it! But things are very, very different here. Citizens do own guns, usually multiples, in the south...and many believe strongly in the right to bear arms. It's just one of the things you'll have to adjust your thinking on. It is what it is.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:47 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,964,314 times
And dont be fooled by political speechmaking and terminology--we ALL believe in Gun control; hitting what we aim at!!

Old 02-26-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I guess that was my point - you have a CCW and the option to carry to Wally World and don't...and do you honestly believe the majority of good old boys are getting a CCW? Or the thugs? Nah. Either can't or won't pass background. I think most people are operating under the "better to ask forgiveness than permission" school of thought...and the carry law has enough holes in it to drive a truck through. Who's to say I'm not on a trip with a gun in my car?

I took the poster's question to mean that it sounded like everyone was carrying all the time for personal safety in case the gunfight broke out in the middle of the street. Nope, we just carry because we do.

Aussie, I've been to your country and loved it! But things are very, very different here. Citizens do own guns, usually multiples, in the south...and many believe strongly in the right to bear arms. It's just one of the things you'll have to adjust your thinking on. It is what it is.
I have no idea how many good ol boyz get their CCW, But I know of one for sure that has done it the right way. If someone is found to carrying with no permit it is illegal and you will be arrested and lose you gun and you can't get a CCW after that. So come on, Do it the right way, Don't help to give guns and guns owners a bad name.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
I have no idea how many good ol boyz get their CCW, But I know of one for sure that has done it the right way. If someone is found to carrying with no permit it is illegal and you will be arrested and lose you gun and you can't get a CCW after that. So come on, Do it the right way, Don't help to give guns and guns owners a bad name.
Junkman, you GOTTA know I agree with you - absolutely and without question. Everyone that has a gun needs to have a permit and attend basic gun safety courses, and preferably some advanced courses. A gun is only as safe as the person carrying it. You absolutely WILL have your gun taken away from you if you are caught illegal, no doubt about it. After many years in law enforcement, though, I simply question how many people actually do it the right way and their motivation or lack thereof for not doing things as they should be done...but that's a question I don't guess anyone can give a good answer to, although some of the reasons are obvious.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Junkman, you GOTTA know I agree with you - absolutely and without question. Everyone that has a gun needs to have a permit and attend basic gun safety courses, and preferably some advanced courses. A gun is only as safe as the person carrying it. You absolutely WILL have your gun taken away from you if you are caught illegal, no doubt about it. After many years in law enforcement, though, I simply question how many people actually do it the right way and their motivation or lack thereof for not doing things as they should be done...but that's a question I don't guess anyone can give a good answer to, although some of the reasons are obvious.
I have always wondered how the police feel about people having CCW permits? If they think it is a good or bad thing? I would hope they don't feel threatened by a legal person with a gun. They told us in class if stopped by the police to give them the CCW permit with your DL, And that makes good sense to me, Don't want any misunderstanding.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:26 PM

Well, all things being equal, and in a perfect world - police wouldn't have to worry about who was licensed and who wasn't...no one would have them. Not very realistic.

Me personally? I'd RATHER see your CCW if your carrying - I'd also rather you keep both hands on the wheel at all times, I don't care if you have a letter from the Pope. There are lots of legal folks out there who are NUTS. Just because they haven't been declared so by the court doesn't keep them from being any less nutty. And play nicely with the officer...if you don't play nicely, no amount of paper is going to keep him/her from removing you from that vehicle and finding out just where that gun is at.

I think it goes without saying, or I would hope so, anyway...whether you have a permit, CCW, gun or whatever in the car - roll your window down, keep your hands up and don't go fishing through the console, under the seat, or in the glove compartment until you are asked. If your gun is in your glove compartment, for pete's sake say so before you open it. There's too much craziness in the world today. You very likely will experience a great deal of rudeness from outside the car if you don't follow the basic rules....and that goes for the passengers too. Hands up, sit up straight, pay attention. It's a damned shame it has to be that way, but it is what it is. Everyone can go by the law, everyone can be safe...just use common sense.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Well, all things being equal, and in a perfect world - police wouldn't have to worry about who was licensed and who wasn't...no one would have them. Not very realistic.

Me personally? I'd RATHER see your CCW if your carrying - I'd also rather you keep both hands on the wheel at all times, I don't care if you have a letter from the Pope. There are lots of legal folks out there who are NUTS. Just because they haven't been declared so by the court doesn't keep them from being any less nutty. And play nicely with the officer...if you don't play nicely, no amount of paper is going to keep him/her from removing you from that vehicle and finding out just where that gun is at.

I think it goes without saying, or I would hope so, anyway...whether you have a permit, CCW, gun or whatever in the car - roll your window down, keep your hands up and don't go fishing through the console, under the seat, or in the glove compartment until you are asked. If your gun is in your glove compartment, for pete's sake say so before you open it. There's too much craziness in the world today. You very likely will experience a great deal of rudeness from outside the car if you don't follow the basic rules....and that goes for the passengers too. Hands up, sit up straight, pay attention. It's a damned shame it has to be that way, but it is what it is. Everyone can go by the law, everyone can be safe...just use common sense.
For sure a little common sense goes a long way.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:21 AM

11 posts, read 63,208 times
Thanks for your input one and all...I have a lot to think about.
Cheers
Belinda

Old 03-10-2008, 07:44 AM

11 posts, read 63,208 times
Hi again
Ive just been doing a bit of nosing around on the internet regards the areas I have to choose for work purposes and noticed during my searching that some time back there was the murder of 3 little boys by a creek in West Memphis; this was the main town I was considering relocating to. I went on to read many articles (plus the viewing of the youtube documentary) regarding the case and have found it quite disturbing. What is the general consensus now regarding the conviction of the 3 men being incarcerated for the crime? What is the overall opinion about the case all-round after all these years? So sad!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas