Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 08:39 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times

Advertisements

Geographic areas and the border of a state are very different things. California for example has so many different geographic areas and people that define themselves differently then in other parts of the state. It is not a one size fits all situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 08:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Geographic areas and the border of a state are very different things. California for example has so many different geographic areas and people that define themselves differently then in other parts of the state. It is not a one size fits all situation.
very true, but I do think most people in CA think of CA as a Pacific West coast State. This is a bit different from how many in say, ARK and MO see their state

Old 05-08-2019, 09:54 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
NWA is just a bunch of transplants that are trying to recreate elements of wherever they came from. Looks and feels different than the rest of the south, and certainly does not represent the Ozarks as a whole.

I believe, when you're in or near any major city, no matter what part of the country, it's going to be a culture shock for those who've lived in the smaller cities away from the major cities.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:07 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
To me Arkansas is unique in that it truly has a deep south element and the mountain south element. Distinctly different in many ways but all packaged nicely in one state. You can get from one area to the other in a matter of an hour or two and there is a wide expanse of both areas.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:20 AM

811 posts, read 888,408 times
I have been doing a lot of business in Arkansas this Spring, mainly in Little Rick, and it just doesn’t feel very Southern to me. But I agree it’s not Midwestern either. I dint know if it’s because I crossed the Mississippi River which is psyching me out or the fact that the people in Arkansas seem more Midwestern in dress, cuisine. Feels more Midwestern imo.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:50 AM

1,264 posts, read 666,115 times
I really don't believe you can get a "true" feel for the whole state by just spending time in the largest city of most states, Arkansas included. We are from Illinois and most people identify us as being Chicagoans, but we are from Central Illinois, in a tiny town amidst this region's business of agriculture. Most of our values, and culture are very different from each other so, obviously we identify with Illinois differently. But we are both right to feel that way. Look how many times through history that Europe has changed boundaries, added countries, combined countries, and still the people of the "regions" remain the same despite boundary changes.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:23 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,651,149 times
Funny that this thread shows up 3 years later.

After living here 4 years now, in the north central AR area, high in the ozarks, I still don't think of this area as anything "southern" as far as culture. But I do love it here, it's home now and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:03 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post

I still don't think of this area as anything "southern" as far as culture.
\

Many people say that Ozark "culture" is very much like southern Appalachian "culture" more so than southern culture as such, and many of the first settlers came from southern Appalachia.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:46 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
I believe, when you're in or near any major city, no matter what part of the country, it's going to be a culture shock for those who've lived in the smaller cities away from the major cities.
I don't disagree, but that really wasn't my point. Little Rock retains its southerness and similarities to rural areas as well as other southern cities like Shreveport and Memphis, even though it has a lot of transplants.
NWA isn't midwestern by any means, but it does manage to be different (at least in some areas) than most of the rest of the south (aside from similar places with lots of transplants).
For what it's worth, I don't automatically equate southern with rural. There are, and always have been, southern cities with their own brand of southern urbanity. Just because a place has suburbs and strip malls doesn't mean it's not southern. It does, however, contribute to making those places thoroughly American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas