U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 12:01 PM

57 posts, read 47,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacresusa View Post
If you're near Yellville check out the Front Porch restaurant. We've loved it each time we've stopped in!
Unfortunately, it appears the Front Porch closed in 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 09:20 AM

92 posts, read 164,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
Unfortunately, it appears the Front Porch closed in 2013.
Shame, it was a great place. It might have been 2013 for our last trip through, can't remember which year it was. We stopped several times over the years. It will really be missed!!

Old 04-15-2017, 09:13 PM

52 posts, read 33,536 times
We are also looking for a retirement home and are looking at Mena ... have you found your place yet?

Old 07-06-2017, 08:34 PM

6 posts, read 3,753 times
Default Retire to Arkansas

Have you retired to Arkansas yet? That is where we are going in the next few months to start looking. If you have retired let me know where you ended up. We are going to look in Mountain View area, thanks

Old 07-07-2017, 04:27 AM

64,695 posts, read 72,088,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneks View Post
Have you retired to Arkansas yet? That is where we are going in the next few months to start looking. If you have retired let me know where you ended up. We are going to look in Mountain View area, thanks
It looks like you move around a lot from some of your other posts. Sounds like us during our working days. Because you like the country atmosphere I am sure Mountain View would be a nice, small, quiet place to enjoy your retirement years but just a word of advise, remember, those wonderful little towns can be remote without good shopping and entertainment, but more than that, good medical care. I know,from experience, as we age, we need decent doctors and a decent hospital close by. There are a lot of parts of AR, NWA where you can get both. Have you thought of towns like Pea Ridge, Garfield,Huntsville or Centerton just to name a few. You might want to explore some to them.

Good luck to you: keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:40 PM

Been away for a while, but DW and I are still exploring AR. We had narrowed our areas of interest(last year) to the Yellville region and NW KY by Lake Barkley. This past summer we crossed KY off the list and are now focusing on north AR. We did get back to AR this past May after all the rains deluged the area. We had a fantastic stay at Silver Run, did some hiking by the Buffalo, fished the White, toured the Ranger factory and looked at real-estate. The ticks freaked DW out as did her fear of snakes. I tried to explain to her that snakes don't hunt people, they just defend themselves. The key is to be observant and back away. If that fails, snake loads in our Ruger LCR will do the trick.

Next year is the big 60 for me and I hope we have settled on "how" we want to live. This is a big question. Trying to think outside the box as to how we live now. A new adventure is supposed to be "new". Been looking at getting a bigger parcel of land (10-30 acres) in an area not commercially farmed. Been Zillowing, looking at a bunch of real-estate on Bull Shoals and Norfork lakes. DW also wants to look around Mountain Home some more. We need at answer the "how" to live question as it will help narrow the property search. DW saw a old downtown building in Yellville that she loved. I mentioned we could inquire about buying it and move into the upstairs apartment. DW gave me the funniest look. I merely said it was an option for her business enterprise to keep moving forward while we search for a cabin property. There are tons of options.

We are returning to Silver Run cabins for Thanksgiving with the entire family. Hoping to float the Buffalo, fish the White again and visit ES on the off day if we get rain. We never made it to Beaver Lake last year.

At this point, I believe we will be settling in North Central AR. I'm 90% certain.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
Been away for a while, but DW and I are still exploring AR. We had narrowed our areas of interest(last year) to the Yellville region and NW KY by Lake Barkley. This past summer we crossed KY off the list and are now focusing on north AR. We did get back to AR this past May after all the rains deluged the area. We had a fantastic stay at Silver Run, did some hiking by the Buffalo, fished the White, toured the Ranger factory and looked at real-estate. The ticks freaked DW out as did her fear of snakes. I tried to explain to her that snakes don't hunt people, they just defend themselves. The key is to be observant and back away. If that fails, snake loads in our Ruger LCR will do the trick.

Next year is the big 60 for me and I hope we have settled on "how" we want to live. This is a big question. Trying to think outside the box as to how we live now. A new adventure is supposed to be "new". Been looking at getting a bigger parcel of land (10-30 acres) in an area not commercially farmed. Been Zillowing, looking at a bunch of real-estate on Bull Shoals and Norfork lakes. DW also wants to look around Mountain Home some more. We need at answer the "how" to live question as it will help narrow the property search. DW saw a old downtown building in Yellville that she loved. I mentioned we could inquire about buying it and move into the upstairs apartment. DW gave me the funniest look. I merely said it was an option for her business enterprise to keep moving forward while we search for a cabin property. There are tons of options.

We are returning to Silver Run cabins for Thanksgiving with the entire family. Hoping to float the Buffalo, fish the White again and visit ES on the off day if we get rain. We never made it to Beaver Lake last year.

At this point, I believe we will be settling in North Central AR. I'm 90% certain.
thanks for the update. It is always fun to see what is happening with those who are considering a move to our great state.

Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM

26 posts, read 1,596 times
Cherokee Village is a big retirement community in north central Arkansas. They have a web page have a look.

Old Today, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the lead Mike. However, we are not the retirement community type folk. Too tightly packed for us. We stopped in at Holiday Island a year ago. It reminded us of the suburban chicago area life we fled 10 years ago.

We avoid HOA's, LOA's and any other kind of community governing organization that wastes time ruling over the lives of others, making tyrannical rules about the color of ones house, flag display, dictating how your lawn will be kept, etc... On top of that, they are another taxing agent digging deeper in your wallet with each misguided vote.

Not for me. I guess that makes me a rebel.

We are looking at properties away from town. Don't get me wrong, population centers have commercial value. We just prefer not living in them. Not for the long term.

Old Today, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
Cherokee Village is a big retirement community in north central Arkansas. They have a web page have a look.
I am not sure but I think BV is better for those who want a variety of demographics than Cherokee Village. The last report shows BV median age as 50 and each year it gets a little younger. It has a nice combination and is 1/2 rural and 1/2 urban which is what we happen to like about it. I do think, price wise Cherokee village is a little less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas