U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 04:53 AM

62,253 posts, read 68,241,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
We hit the road at 9AM tomorrow. Destination Bull Shoals. And so it begins .
Hope you have a great and safe trip to AR. Keep us posted: I am sure you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 07:48 AM

129 posts, read 64,307 times
We'll be in the Mountain Home area next week for the same search. Keep us posted.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:00 AM

54 posts, read 35,898 times
Sitting in Eureka Springs sipping my coffee reflecting on the journey to date with two days in Bull Shoals/Mountain Home and two days in Eureka Springs.

Bull Shoals was a disappointment. The town is run down and nobody is staying at the beginning of the week, during what I would call peak season. The lake was devoid of all boats at that location, the marina was a ghost town and the camp ground was empty. What a shame.

Mountain Home was busy, but I don't know what else to say about it. There was nothing special I could pick out aside from the fact that Norfork and Bull Shoals are beautiful lakes.

All the properties we saw and liked seemed to be in the Flippin and Yellville area. Found a parcel north of Yellville we would buy tomorrow if it weren't for the fact that it was an hour away from an ER. Without medical care in Yellville, I'd hate commit to spend my last years at such a location. I'd need a wood shed to substitute for a hospital.

ES was fun for a visit. No attractive real-estate that we could find at this moment. The area has possibilities as the economy seems to be less restrained and the close access to Beaver Lake and Branson adds value.

Mountain View was a total surprise. Located out in the middle of nowhere with no reason to stop except to turn around and return to BS. We were totally surprised to a bustling downtown with lots of retail going on. We had lunch, spoke with a few shop owners and returned to BS pleasantly surprised. I wish we had more time to explore this location.

Today we travel to Petit Jean along the Arkansas River. Just lookin to relax, do some hiking and give up thinking for now.

K

Old 07-21-2016, 08:36 AM

35,941 posts, read 19,588,595 times
Quote:
Sitting in Eureka Springs sipping my coffee reflecting on the journey to date with two days in Bull Shoals/Mountain Home and two days in Eureka Springs.

Bull Shoals was a disappointment. The town is run down and nobody is staying at the beginning of the week, during what I would call peak season. The lake was devoid of all boats at that location, the marina was a ghost town and the camp ground was empty. What a shame.

Mountain Home was busy, but I don't know what else to say about it. There was nothing special I could pick out aside from the fact that Norfork and Bull Shoals are beautiful lakes.

All the properties we saw and liked seemed to be in the Flippin and Yellville area. Found a parcel north of Yellville we would buy tomorrow if it weren't for the fact that it was an hour away from an ER. Without medical care in Yellville, I'd hate commit to spend my last years at such a location. I'd need a wood shed to substitute for a hospital.

ES was fun for a visit. No attractive real-estate that we could find at this moment. The area has possibilities as the economy seems to be less restrained and the close access to Beaver Lake and Branson adds value.

Mountain View was a total surprise. Located out in the middle of nowhere with no reason to stop except to turn around and return to BS. We were totally surprised to a bustling downtown with lots of retail going on. We had lunch, spoke with a few shop owners and returned to BS pleasantly surprised. I wish we had more time to explore this location.

Today we travel to Petit Jean along the Arkansas River. Just lookin to relax, do some hiking and give up thinking for now.

K
I'd want to relax, too, after following your itinerary.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:

K
you may want to return and visit the places you liked the most over again plus add a few you will not have time to see. We did this when searching for a retirement home in the Vegas area (way before the growth and outside of town) Reno and NM. after about 3 visits we settled on NM> Of course since then we have resettled on Bella Vista and will surely be here the rest of our lives

Old 07-21-2016, 10:54 AM

3,969 posts, read 4,885,552 times
Sounds like Bella Vista is what you need...pretty, lots of different kinds of homes to choose from, lakes, golf, close to medical care, restaurants, etc.

Unless you were planning on buying acreage. Then you will be either paying a hefty price for it if it's near a bustling town and medical care, or living out in the "boondocks".

Old 07-22-2016, 06:43 AM

129 posts, read 64,307 times
Here's an interesting road trip we hope to take next week:
P1. Ozarks Sylamore Area scenic drives, camping, hiking, - 2Cooleys

Old 07-22-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ION1010 View Post
Here's an interesting road trip we hope to take next week:
P1. Ozarks Sylamore Area scenic drives, camping, hiking, - 2Cooleys
let's not share these pictures with people out of state: they may all decide to move to AR.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:36 AM

92 posts, read 155,534 times
Loved the pictures of the Ozark Folk Center. Brings back memories of the last time we visited there!! Have to get there again!!!

Old 07-23-2016, 09:18 PM

54 posts, read 35,898 times
Just got home a few hours ago. We did the whirl wind tour of more towns than I can remember. After driving straight south from ES thru Hindsville, we ended up on hwy 295 which turned to 1 lane gravel for about 20 miles. We snaked down thru Ozark National Forest to the Arkansas River and cruised East on 64 to Petit Jean. We stayed in the Lodge at Petit Jean. Both of us wish to return to experience autumn at that location at some point. The heat was extreme at 104 degrees F without the heat index. We did the 2 mile hike that seemed more like a climb in an hour as that was all the daylight we had. Needless to say we were soaked. The folks at the Petit Jean which is a State Park were the Best! The Lodge food was awesome. Neither of us appreciated the bed bugs that munched us last night, but oh well.

We also drove to Hot Springs to visit a friend of DW. Saw a bunch of towns and beautiful scenery. DW no longer thinks the town name Flippin is so funny anymore as we passed thru the town of Toad Suck.

We left Petit Jean behind in the early AM today. Passe thru Greers Ferry, Batesville, Jonesboro on our way home.

Both of us agree that we will visit again and focus on the territory surrounding Es and Beaver lake East side. It became clear that finding acreage will not be an issue once we select an area to focus on. We will return for sure in early 2017.

Thanks for all your assistance and advice.

K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas