U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 01:14 PM

54 posts, read 35,853 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

I woke up recently and discovered I better get my butt in gear to figure out where to retire to as I am tired of 40 plus years of the grind, tired of Illinois politics, tired of flat landing. Like Bilbo, it's time for another adventure. Wife is a bit younger but willing to go, so we have begun exploring KY, TN and now it's time for Northern AR. We already have a trip planned to start in July with 2 nights in Bull Shoals, 2 nights in Eureka Springs and Two nights at Petit Jean state Park. Hope to get a flavor of the area to see if it fits.

We are expatriot city folk, can't stand crowds anymore. Been homesteading the past 8 years and commuting 100 miles each way to the Chi-Town Area. Lookin for a smallish town to settle near with a population of Bible believers, reasonable medical facilities and some local restaurant action. We don't need much as we are the self sufficient type. We plan to settle on a rural setting within 5-10 miles of town.

I look forward to getting back to fishing which I have not been able to touch for years now. Stream walkin was a favorite. Looks like most of the NW Arkansas streams are downstream of dams (backwater). Is there any free-flowing water one can wade and walk without fear of getting caught in a transition? If yes, is it accessible to the public or all private?

Thank you for reading.

Kevin

Last edited by explorearkansas; 06-22-2016 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 05:13 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,979,877 times
"Is there any free-flowing water one can wade and walk without fear of getting caught in a transition?"....the Buffalo River.....America's first designated "National River".

"a population of Bible believers"....should be no problem there.

"Lookin for a smallish town to settle near with ***, reasonable medical facilities and some local restaurant action." small towns severly limited here.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 06-22-2016, 07:15 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,012,674 times
I think you should look hard at Carroll County, around Eureka Springs and Berryville. Eureka is a tourist town and has a number of good restaurants and attractions, but you can live in the boondocks within 15 minutes of town. Beautiful scenery, beautiful area. The Kings River is a treasure. Clear flowing stream, popular with floaters and fishermen. Berryville has the "big Walmart". There are quite a few retirees in the area, so the medical care and senior amenities are much better than they'd be in most other small areas like that. Holiday Island is the big retirement community adjacent to Eureka Springs.

You are a short drive to Branson and all of its attractions, and close to both Beaver Lake and Table Rock Lake.

For medical care needs or shopping needs that aren't met in that immediate area, they are about 1 hour east of the Northwest Arkansas metropolitan area, about 500,000 people total (where I live) and we have fine medical care, all the shopping a person could ever need, and some larger attractions and amenities for day trips.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:32 PM

878 posts, read 828,433 times
I always promote the Ouachita Mountains, west of Hot Springs. My favorite is the Mena area, about 45 minutes west of H.S. and about one hour south of Ft Smith. Mena is a 5,000 Pop. community with good medical, but you would have to go to H.S. or F.S. for the restaurant scene. Plenty of property available in the surrounding mountains and most of it joins the Ouachita National Forest so you could have a "big back yard". I hope you choose The Natural State because I don't think you will be disappointed wherever you choose.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:00 AM

62,249 posts, read 68,241,115 times
If you want to locate in areas that are heavy Bible Belt and it sounds like conservative, I think I would stay away Eureka Springs, except to visit. This time of the year, though crowded with tourists, it is a great place to see.

Old Fossil mentioned Mena, that might be nice but I don't think many consider it the NW part of AR. I think, if it were me, I would be inclined to consider someplace like Pea Ridge. It would have everything you desire or sounds like you desire. I would, of course push Bella Vista like I always do, but you wouldn't have much land and you would have neighbors, but in many parts of the village we have no neighbors on either side of us and in some cases not even across the street, but we are only about 15 or 20 minutes from medical facilities, good shopping, good restaurants, etc. Another area we love and would be more rural, but still close in is Hawasee/Gravette area. 2 couples we know from church live there. Both are originally from upper mid west. And last but not least you may want to consider areas around the Beaver lake area. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:44 AM

1,672 posts, read 850,189 times
Huntsville, Flippin, Mena...I have lived in NW Ar twice and the possibilities for fishing are extensive, all the way from small stream wading for trout or panfish up to large impoundment fishing from a boat.
Also if you live in NW AR there is Elk River in SW Mo, Grand Lake in Okla, Roaring River State Park in Mo....truly a fisherman's and outdoorsy person's heaven.
Plus Rogers and Fayetteville give you all the 'big city' fix you need -- or you can drive to Tulsa or Joplin or Springfield.
I suggest you spend at least 2 weeks exploring.
If Ar doesn't float your boat check out Eastern Tennessee south of Knoxville.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:26 AM

35,941 posts, read 19,588,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Huntsville, Flippin, Mena...I have lived in NW Ar twice and the possibilities for fishing are extensive, all the way from small stream wading for trout or panfish up to large impoundment fishing from a boat.
Also if you live in NW AR there is Elk River in SW Mo, Grand Lake in Okla, Roaring River State Park in Mo....truly a fisherman's and outdoorsy person's heaven.
Plus Rogers and Fayetteville give you all the 'big city' fix you need -- or you can drive to Tulsa or Joplin or Springfield.
I suggest you spend at least 2 weeks exploring.
If Ar doesn't float your boat check out Eastern Tennessee south of Knoxville.
I second the mention of Roaring River. Since you plan on visiting Eureka Springs, and you love fishing, Roaring River would be worth a visit. Roaring River is not a community, it's a state park that is actually designed around fishing.

Given your list of desires, I actually think Hindsville would be a place to check out. It's close to Springdale, and the highways have been upgraded substantially in recent years, there's a lot of farmland in the area, prices are low, it's very Bible-belt, and you would have easy access to the War Eagle River and to the Withrow Springs State Park

https://www.arkansasstateparks.com//...ark.aspx?id=15

https://mostateparks.com/park/roaring-river-state-park

Old 06-23-2016, 08:10 AM

62,249 posts, read 68,241,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I second the mention of Roaring River. Since you plan on visiting Eureka Springs, and you love fishing, Roaring River would be worth a visit. Roaring River is not a community, it's a state park that is actually designed around fishing.

Given your list of desires, I actually think Hindsville would be a place to check out. It's close to Springdale, and the highways have been upgraded substantially in recent years, there's a lot of farmland in the area, prices are low, it's very Bible-belt, and you would have easy access to the War Eagle River and to the Withrow Springs State Park

https://www.arkansasstateparks.com//...ark.aspx?id=15

https://mostateparks.com/park/roaring-river-state-park
I never thought of Hindsville but did think about Huntsville. I actually think almost anywhere in Benton, Washington or Maddison county would work for OP as long as it isn't places like Fayetteville, Bentonville or Rogers: great places to live but not the rural atmosphere he seems to want.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:36 AM

92 posts, read 155,534 times
We found our retirement haven in Sharp county about 10 years ago! Now this year I plan to retire and we move onto our land this fall!!

Old 06-26-2016, 03:19 PM

54 posts, read 35,853 times
Wow,
I did not expect all the great replies. I'm pretty excited about making the trek next month. We only have a week so this trip is focused on northern AR. Wife still holds onto a desire to stay close to where the kiddos are. Me, not so much. The three locations; Bull Shoals, Eureka and Petit Jean we are stopping to provide a few days to check out each area. The first two days will be spent from West Norfork lake to the south end and the East side of Bull Shoals heading west. Next we move to Eureka for two days to scope out West Bull Shoals, north up around Beaver lake and then all the way around from the south side of Beaver avoiding the larger cities if we can. The final two days is in the Lodge at Petit Jean to hike and check out the Arkansas river area. On the trip home I plan to cruise thru Heber Springs. Our goal is to determine if AR is a place to further explore for retirement. I hope the adventure will loosen up DW's desire to stay close to home.

Hot Springs is a bit far away from the kids for DW right now. I won't rule it out, but that would require another trip to explore.

Since nobody raved about the medical center near Mountain Home, I presume it is not held in high regard.

Thanks all y'all for the input. We have a few more places to look at. I really do appreciate you taking a moment to respond.

Kevin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas