U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 10:56 AM

4,749 posts, read 6,166,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryoke View Post
Looking fwd to seeing Mt Magazine Lodge
It's awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 02:14 AM

734 posts, read 1,405,952 times
When I say this, keep in mind that I did go during Fall, but driving through Mount Magazine and continuing on 23 was one of the best scenic drives I have ever driven, and that's saying a lot considering how many times I have been to the smokies and Rockies.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:49 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,365,865 times
The Ouachitas, particularly in far western Arkansas, are different from the Appalachians in that there is more "open range" between the taller peaks. The Apps seem just be one ridge after another. The Ouachitas in parts are comprised of tall peaks, with broad plains and valleys in between.

The Ozarks aren't as extreme, as they are a carved plateau. There are sections of the Ozarks that "feel like" mountains, but most of the Ozark terrain is rolling with deep hollers and washes.

Another difference is the foliage. The Ozarks are almost entirely covered with hardwoods, while the Ouachitas have a mixture of pines and hardwoods.

Neither area feels particularly "like Colorado" because we have wetter weather and more trees. Both areas are worth the relatively short drive from DFW when you need a "mountain fix".

Old 11-30-2013, 02:40 PM

4,793 posts, read 6,517,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have to smile when I read a reply like this: the OP posted 5 and 1/2 years ago. I bet they have their answer and have visited, hopefully more than once. I know, I sometimes do the same thing, I see a topic, I answer and then I realize it is almost as outdated as me.
When someone from out of the area is looking for info a thread like this helps.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:00 PM

10,567 posts, read 11,666,560 times
Petit Jean State Park and Devil's Den State Park and Eureka Springs. You'll have that "mountain" feel.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:35 PM

9,776 posts, read 7,685,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Petit Jean State Park and Devil's Den State Park and Eureka Springs. You'll have that "mountain" feel.
Yes, don't overlook Petit Jean!

Well, DO overlook from the many overlooks in and around Petit Jean State Park, particularly the one behind Mather Lodge (a beautifully restored and updated CCC structure built of native materials and those at the other end of the mountain, overlooking the Arkansas River Valley below and "Petit Jean"'s "grave".

Then there's Cedar Falls, the highest in Arkansas - both overlooks and trails there - the unique and naturally whimsical turtle rocks, especially popular with kids, and the Bear Cave trail, which winds through natural grottos and other rock formations. There's a natural bridge, a rock shelter with prehistoric petroglyphs, very comfortable cabins, brilliant fall color, beautiful early spring wildflowers, a great staff, good food at the lodge dining room, and more. It's close enough to Little Rock to make for a quick get-away, too, yet has an entirely different ecosystem and atmosphere about it.

In addition to the park, there are numerous church camps and private homes and cabins on Petit Jean Mountain, along with a privately operated resort or two which are open to the public. But the state park is the crown jewel of the Arkansas State Parks Department, and rightfully so.

Eureka Springs is built on the side of a mountain, and is a delightful and quirky place. It tends to be a three-season destination, and is very quiet in the winter.

I haven't visited Devil's Den since I was twelve, but remember the large spring emerging from the side of the cliff - it's very scenic, and my cousins vouch for its cabins and other facilities for family gatherings.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:47 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,551,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have to smile when I read a reply like this: the OP posted 5 and 1/2 years ago. I bet they have their answer and have visited, hopefully more than once. I know, I sometimes do the same thing, I see a topic, I answer and then I realize it is almost as outdated as me.
Also, some of us, you included, simply look for threads in which to post good things about Arkansas.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:39 AM

7 posts, read 7,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Forget about the snow and Colorado feel.
Magazine mountain is the highest point at 2,753 feet. The area around there is scenic enough, and I think there's a new lodge or cabins or something like that there.
A lot of people go to the Buffalo River area, also.
The Buffalo River Area is one of the most unspoiled areas of Arkansas, the closest place to what the Ozarks originally were. There's not even a railroad track in Newton County. Mike Mills at the Buffalo Outdoor Center has some wonderful, secluded, romantic cabins for rent. And actually, we once had a real Colorado vibe there. It was our thirtieth anniversary in Feb. of 2003 and it had been snowing when we arrived. The pictures of our cabin surrounded by snow, with snow still falling, looked like a travel brochure for Colorado.

Another time we were out hiking and ran into Tim Ernst on one of his picture taking hikes. If the place is beautiful enough that someone who publishes beautiful books of photographs spends most of his time there, why would anyone else not want to experience it?

Falling Water Falls, which is on an unmarked forest road, is an incredibly beautiful spot, worth hunting. You can easily imagine native Americans camped there.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:44 PM

622 posts, read 896,582 times
My mom lives in jasper. The mountains are beautiful there...also a convenient drive to eureka Springs or Branson for a good day trip from your cabin. There are several peaks that are over 2000 feet. Can't beat the buffalo river!!! Also Newton county is one of the most sparsely populated counties in Arkansas. There isn't a stop light in the whole county. Only 8000 people in the whole county. mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-19-2014 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 01-19-2014, 12:05 AM

734 posts, read 1,405,952 times
The one downside to Arkansas is that I'm a car guy. I enjoy saving money on gas, but I also enjoy waterfalls. Many of the most impressive waterfalls around here have very rough roads that lead to them. It does surprise me that even with the most popular falls, the state still doesn't attempt to improve the roads. Triple Falls is amazing, but I told myself that after that one trip, I will never drive my car down that road again. Sweden Falls is the 8th tallest in the state but also has a very rough road leading to the trail. I took a day trip driving to several waterfalls in the Buffalo River area and ended up with a flat tire the next day. With how impressive the falls were after a heavy rain, paying the $65 for a new tire was still worth it. I moved from Kansas and originally I was looking at Colorado, but knew I couldn't afford the price of living along the range, so I went with Arkansas and have never thought twice about my decision. I'm still close to my family in Kansas but I've also got mountain areas within an hour of me. A few days ago, I purchased Tim Ernsts waterfall 2nd edition book online and am looking forward to getting it. Arkansas is definitely one of the most underrated states when it comes to waterfalls. Most people think about the higher elevations when thinking about waterfalls. Also, I went to Devils Den yesterday and felt like I was on top of the world while on Yellow Rock. To preserve the nature, they don't use barriers which makes it that much better! Hopefully experts can figure out the White Nose Syndrome soon, because Arkansas is also well known for caves and once the caves open back up, that will be yet another reason for people to visit the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or