Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 11:29 AM

183 posts, read 243,246 times

Advertisements

I have never been to Fayetteville but am a "new" Arkansan and I would like to know why NWA is the place where people with money want to go??? I've been reading nothing but Fayettevile Praise Threads and the closest I have ever gotten was the beautiful Jasper, AR. Little Rock is the capital and presumbaly has more to offer, so why aren't people wild about going there, a more populated place instead? I do not intend this indignantly, but I just want to know.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:43 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,901,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patois View Post
I have never been to Fayetteville but am a "new" Arkansan and I would like to know why NWA is the place where people with money want to go??? I've been reading nothing but Fayettevile Praise Threads and the closest I have ever gotten was the beautiful Jasper, AR. Little Rock is the capital and presumbaly has more to offer, so why aren't people wild about going there, a more populated place instead? I do not intend this indignantly, but I just want to know.

The reason why people are migrating to NWA is because three major companies have their headquarters there: Walmart, Tysons, and J.B. Hunt. It hasn't always been that way, only the past several years as those companies required more employees/support. And I should add; those companies didn't move there, that's where they originated and then expanded tremendously.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:51 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
University of Arkansas is in Fayetteville and the city is an absolutely beautiful place. Weather is more moderate than most of Arkansas also. As far as "elite" I've seen all races and classes of people living there.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:04 PM

Default My Perception is Wrong in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
University of Arkansas is in Fayetteville and the city is an absolutely beautiful place. Weather is more moderate than most of Arkansas also. As far as "elite" I've seen all races and classes of people living there.

I referred to it as elite because of the type of commenters that state their education level/career and proceed to denigrate Southern Arkansas for supposedly being the complete opposite...All classes live up there? I had no idea? See? This is why I ask ! (to discover these things)

Old 01-07-2018, 12:05 PM

Default Corporate world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
The reason why people are migrating to NWA is because three major companies have their headquarters there: Walmart, Tysons, and J.B. Hunt. It hasn't always been that way, only the past several years as those companies required more employees/support. And I should add; those companies didn't move there, that's where they originated and then expanded tremendously.

WOW ! Too bad home prices weren't in my range (rock-bottom)...or else, I'd have considered it.
But atleast it will be close enough to visit.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:09 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times
I've never seen anything that ever stated it was for the "elite". Not sure where you read such a thing. It is a desirable location for the reasons mentioned already.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:52 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Quote:
I referred to it as elite because of the type of commenters that state their education level/career and proceed to denigrate Southern Arkansas for supposedly being the complete opposite...All classes live up there? I had no idea? See? This is why I ask ! (to discover these things)
When I lived in Fayetteville I moved there from southern Arkansas, I was never treated badly or looked down on. In fact just the opposite. You might want to visit Fayetteville.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:59 PM

Commenters here on city-data stated their career and education as elite before putting down parts of southern Arkansas? What forum did this happen on?

Old 01-07-2018, 01:56 PM

Default Sorry for the Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Commenters here on city-data stated their career and education as elite before putting down parts of southern Arkansas? What forum did this happen on?
LOL "Elite" is my word...not there's. I have driven the 425 through southern Arkansas and found it "decent" saw the 165 and El Dorado and whatnot and didn't understand why people were comparing southern Arkansas to NWA as being bland and stating the the brain drain has ravaged the area leaving it poor, lifeless, hopeless, and a dump...But again, elite is my word. Although we live in a society with many perks (U.S.A. ! ) going to college and making something of one's education is still something that often escapes the lower-middle class oftentimes, hence my use of the word. But to clarify, no person actually "said" it but the posts gave that vibe based on the responses from commenters that told an educated person to avoid Southern Ark.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
LOL "Elite" is my word...not there's. I have driven the 425 through southern Arkansas and found it "decent" saw the 165 and El Dorado and whatnot and didn't understand why people were comparing southern Arkansas to NWA as being bland and stating the the brain drain has ravaged the area leaving it poor, lifeless, hopeless, and a dump...But again, elite is my word. Although we live in a society with many perks (U.S.A. ! ) going to college and making something of one's education is still something that often escapes the lower-middle class oftentimes, hence my use of the word. But to clarify, no person actually "said" it but the posts gave that vibe based on the responses from commenters that told an educated person to avoid Southern Ark.
Hmmm, ok. I don't live in NWA myself but if I had to move anywhere in Arkansas, it would not be southern (mostly southeastern) Arkansas and that doesn't mean I'm "elite".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas