Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 04:53 AM

3 posts, read 15,969 times

Advertisements

I am not familiar with the AR real estate law, thus I'm posting the question here.

Can the house foreclose due to unpaid mehcanic's liens?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 06:54 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
Wrong forum. Contact a lawyer. If they want to charge to answer the question, try Legal Aid or a Law School. They sometimes have public clinics to help with these questions.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
You can cantact any real estate agent. This is part of the training for Real Estate licencing. I don't know about AR, I do about Va, Ca and Texas.

Nita

Old 02-22-2008, 01:30 AM

6 posts, read 55,589 times
Just stating an opinion, not to be confused with professional advice, but I don't believe a mechanics lien can instigate a foreclosure process. At least not to my knowledge.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:31 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Here's something written by a local Little Rock attorney...under the mechanics and materialmen law. Have no idea when it was written. You need an attorney. I personally always thought the mechanic's lien was just for automotive, etc. Apparently I was wrong...again...

http://www.gill-law.com/system/documents/MM_lien_v2.pdf (broken link)

Old 02-22-2008, 11:31 PM

288 posts, read 1,079,748 times
If Mliway is the homeowner, his contractor needs the lawyer

Old 02-23-2008, 12:23 AM

3 posts, read 15,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Here's something written by a local Little Rock attorney...under the mechanics and materialmen law. Have no idea when it was written. You need an attorney. I personally always thought the mechanic's lien was just for automotive, etc. Apparently I was wrong...again...

http://www.gill-law.com/system/documents/MM_lien_v2.pdf (broken link)
Thanks Say I Am. The material was very helpful.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,058 times
Default Arkansas foreclosure

YES, a mechanic's lien can get your property foreclosed on.

Had a contractor slap a lien on my property after he was 3 months late getting it out - still wasn't done. He did it as retalilation.
Even though we had written deadlines and draws.

The first 'real estate' lawyer didn't want to sue - said he could 'save' me money. With $1,500 a month in holding cost... he COST me a TON of money. He also didn't tell me after 15 months the lien will go POOF.... but I didn't know that. He tried to get me to 'settle' with the guy after about 12 months even though I had given him 4 checks and he was only due 3!

He though he would scare the heck out of me to get me to settle. He said I couldn't win. When he found out I wasn't as dumb as I appeared - he told me I should hire someone else because he didn't like my 'attitude'!

I took his advice hired a great lawyer in Conway - sued and won. My property is in Little Rock.

One caution... beware of 'real estate lawyers'. That is the second 'real estate' lawyer I've had a bad dealings with.

Just a woman in Arkansas

Old 08-11-2009, 05:36 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
It shouldn't. I think it is an excuse to foreclose. The Mechanic's Lien is normally disposed of at the sale if it was not paid previously. You cannot re-fi with a lien because it is a cloud on the title. Any mortgagor holding title can foreclose for any reason. Most generally it is done due to payment issues. The lien is a separate issue. But if your contract includes a caveat barring liens, than that leaves no leg to stand on.

An automobile repair not paid is not a mechanic's lien. I do not believe it can be placed on a house. The Mechanic's lien is for repairs -such as a new roof- that was never paid for. Most states don't let contractors who have agreed to take payments also place a lien on the property if the payments are timely. Every state is different. What is valid in CA or IL may not be valid in Arkansas and vice versa.

Last edited by linicx; 08-11-2009 at 05:47 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 07:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcarr View Post
YES, a mechanic's lien can get your property foreclosed on.

Had a contractor slap a lien on my property after he was 3 months late getting it out - still wasn't done. He did it as retalilation.
Even though we had written deadlines and draws.

The first 'real estate' lawyer didn't want to sue - said he could 'save' me money. With $1,500 a month in holding cost... he COST me a TON of money. He also didn't tell me after 15 months the lien will go POOF.... but I didn't know that. He tried to get me to 'settle' with the guy after about 12 months even though I had given him 4 checks and he was only due 3!

He though he would scare the heck out of me to get me to settle. He said I couldn't win. When he found out I wasn't as dumb as I appeared - he told me I should hire someone else because he didn't like my 'attitude'!

I took his advice hired a great lawyer in Conway - sued and won. My property is in Little Rock.

One caution... beware of 'real estate lawyers'. That is the second 'real estate' lawyer I've had a bad dealings with.

Just a woman in Arkansas
thanks for responding but did you realize the OP posted 18 months ago and never came back?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas