U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 06:26 PM

162 posts, read 55,338 times

Advertisements

OK. I am REQUIRED by man law to visit Toad Suck. I may just ask if there is a post office there and get a PO box.

We want to get back to small town living. Or middle of nowhere living...

Jim, I will write your suggestions down in my little travel book. We are pretty-much doing a fly over, and will detail when it is time to pick a zip code and a realtor. I have a feeling that our heads will be spinning, taking in the sights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 06:30 PM

1,156 posts, read 618,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post
OK. I am REQUIRED by man law to visit Toad Suck. I may just ask if there is a post office there and get a PO box.

Jim, I will write your suggestions down in my little travel book. We are pretty-much doing a fly over, and will detail when it is time to pick a zip code and a realtor. I have a feeling that our heads will be spinning, taking in the sights.
Careful what you wish for, lol. I live in the middle of nowhere. I does take a little adjustment for most, but it's wonderful! Newton County, as a whole, is around 8k people. Jasper's population is 466. I'm 11 miles from that with NO neighbors, in the woods, in the middle of nowhere.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:00 PM

That is what I grew up on. Only moved to Houston to make money. Teachers outside of the bigger cities in Texas make at least $10-15K/yr less in my pay range. After 30 years in Houston, I am still ina hurry to have no hurries.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:24 PM

54 posts, read 30,831 times
Quote:

P.O box? You could live in Toad Suck Wes59. It is just downstream from Fort Smith. We passed thru it so fast I almost missed it. I'll bet the population is like 50. Maybe less.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:36 PM

Ah yes, but are there mountains for my darling to gaze upon as she sips her morning coffee? There has to be mountains for her to look at. If not, I can move to plenty of 50 population towns in Texas.

Just a random thought- are people from there called Toad Suckers? :-)

Old 09-20-2016, 08:20 PM

210 posts, read 186,964 times
Quote:
That is what I grew up on. Only moved to Houston to make money. Teachers outside of the bigger cities in Texas make at least $10-15K/yr less in my pay range. After 30 years in Houston, I am still ina hurry to have no hurries.
We moved to Hot Springs Village 3 years ago from DFW. I do not miss that rat race one bit, and love it here.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:29 AM

54 posts, read 30,831 times
Visit Petit Jean and spend one night in the lodge while you are in the area. I bethinks you might like the vistas.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:52 AM

Do you mean in the state park lodge? Looks like a nice place to stay.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:11 PM

3,781 posts, read 4,691,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
Be careful trying to see too much. It gets overwhelming as there is more beauty in ten square miles of AR than many states have within their entire borders.
This is good advice and absolute truth.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:39 PM

3,781 posts, read 4,691,201 times
Quote:
We want to get back to small town living. Or middle of nowhere living....
Then why not try to get a job in the Jasper school district, or Deer, or Mt. Judea, or even Harrison (only 20 miles from Jasper)?

I must have missed where you told why you have to start out in Ft. Smith. Ft. Smith is nice, but a little bland....and flat! You won't be lookin' at mountains while you sip your mornin' coffee if you live in Ft. Smith. Well, there may be some outlying areas where you could get a distant mountain view, but it's pretty much flat in Ft. Smith.

Now, about 20 miles north of Ft. Smith/Van Buren on Hwy. 71 is a little spot in the road called Mountainburg. You might want to live around there if you have to work in Ft. Smith. Plenty of mountain views there.

And on further north of there it just gets prettier and prettier....Winslow is a neat little tiny town off of 71 (just across I49 from Devil's Den State Park, a beautiful place), and lots of beautiful land around there for retirement. There is a school at Winslow also, I believe. Google it. I think there may even be one in Mountainburg.

The great thing about this whole area is that it is really close to larger towns (Fayetteville, Ft. Smith/Van Buren) where you can go to Lowe's, furniture stores, malls, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas