U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 08:03 AM

166 posts, read 59,147 times

Advertisements

Firstly, a happy Thanksgiving to all you fine people here in the forums...
We are checked into the Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs. And while it is nice and all as far as I am concerned, my wife is having happy fits over the entire place. She is currently planning for us to walk to downtown- I figure no places are open- and then back. Nothing like mountain climbing on a 40 degree Thanksgiving morning!

We LOVED Newton County! It jumped into first place very fast, and we did spend about 30 mins photographing the elk. Really liked Jasper- Ponca was a bit of a let-down. After a couple of trips in and out, I like Harrison much more than I thought I would. Overall, the rain and clouds messed up the picture taking, but we had a fantastic time seeing the area.

Holly, we tried finding a couple of houses that are on your website but to no avail. Much too early to worry about such things, but we have noticed that houses on Zillow will show nice views, but in reality- not so much.

This trip certainly did what we wanted it to. We are most excited to get things finalized in Houston for a move to Arkansas this coming summer. I never thought I would be looking at people wearing foam pig hats and feel a kinship... :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 09:05 AM

3,822 posts, read 4,732,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post
We LOVED Newton County! Told ya!

we have noticed that houses on Zillow will show nice views, but in reality- not so much. Yeah, sometimes they're showing the winter view, when the leaves are off the trees.
.[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 11-24-2016, 05:00 PM

1,161 posts, read 627,565 times
The fog was pretty thick yesterday in many areas which hindered your views for sure. The elk have been out all day long lately. It's so amazing to see them, it never gets old.

So glad you loved your trip. Enjoy Eureka Springs too.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:52 PM

We head for Fayetteville tomorrow morning. I really wanted to like the Crescent Hotel, but for $150/night it was lacking. The room was drafty as sin, shower did not work (repair guy was quick and fixed it though), the internet was really bad to non existent one night and weak the second, and the food/drinks expensive for what you got. The Thanksgiving lunch was good and maybe worth the $25/person. We like Eureka Springs better than expected, though not to live in. The Beaver lake area was also really nice. I guess I was not expecting so much mountains and elevation around ES.

Off to Bella Vista, Bentonville, and Fayetteville for one night. Find somewhere with a Black Friday extravaganza for Ms Jackie to dive into...

Old 11-25-2016, 06:23 AM

61,832 posts, read 67,096,892 times
Quote:
We head for Fayetteville tomorrow morning. I really wanted to like the Crescent Hotel, but for $150/night it was lacking. The room was drafty as sin, shower did not work (repair guy was quick and fixed it though), the internet was really bad to non existent one night and weak the second, and the food/drinks expensive for what you got. The Thanksgiving lunch was good and maybe worth the $25/person. We like Eureka Springs better than expected, though not to live in. The Beaver lake area was also really nice. I guess I was not expecting so much mountains and elevation around ES.

Off to Bella Vista, Bentonville, and Fayetteville for one night. Find somewhere with a Black Friday extravaganza for Ms Jackie to dive into...
share your feelings about Eureka Springs: fun to visit, would never consider living there and the hotel, is jut ok, but has the old charm.

enjoy your visit today to NWA

Old 11-25-2016, 03:57 PM

ES was cool, in an amusement park sort of way. Everything was closed, but it still felt like a trip to 6 flags over Texas. Maybe could live farther out, but not really for us.

We left ES and went to Thorncrown. Lovely place. We ended up going back to Jasper for another look. Got some clear pics of the canyons. Finally got to Fayetteville about 4PM. Rest up tonight and head home. I think we have a new state to call home...

Old 11-25-2016, 04:11 PM

1,161 posts, read 627,565 times
Quote:
ES was cool, in an amusement park sort of way. Everything was closed, but it still felt like a trip to 6 flags over Texas. Maybe could live farther out, but not really for us.

We left ES and went to Thorncrown. Lovely place. We ended up going back to Jasper for another look. Got some clear pics of the canyons. Finally got to Fayetteville about 4PM. Rest up tonight and head home. I think we have a new state to call home...
It's a beautiful place that seems to step back in time. It's hard not to fall in love with it. The scenery never gets old.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:45 PM

Jackie really got excited over the Beaver lake area. She really like the combination of mountains and water- much more so than anything we have seen in Texas. She never was too excited over Texas lake living.

Unrelated I guess, we really got a kick out of Fayetteville. Not to live in, of course, but our hotel manager suggested the Christmas lights on the square. OH MY GOSH!! It was a beautiful sight to behold- we truly enjoyed walking the square and enjoyed helping several families wanting to take pictures. It really wrapped up an awesome week up here.

Jackie and I were grabbing dinner and she told me that she had started out unsure of whether she wanted to do this at all. She had only seen the Memphis to Little Rock to Texarkana view of Arkansas. She has fallen in love with the area, and is so heart warmed at the kindness of all of the people we have visited with throughout the area. She stood in a tshirt shop in Fayetteville and chatted with a local girl of about 20-something for at least 15+ minutes. This is not something she does all of the time. We are already looking forward to March, and the next trip up.
Attached Thumbnails
Sell NW Arkansas-elk-color_resize.jpg  

Old 11-26-2016, 05:00 AM

61,832 posts, read 67,096,892 times
Quote:
Jackie really got excited over the Beaver lake area. She really like the combination of mountains and water- much more so than anything we have seen in Texas. She never was too excited over Texas lake living.

Unrelated I guess, we really got a kick out of Fayetteville. Not to live in, of course, but our hotel manager suggested the Christmas lights on the square. OH MY GOSH!! It was a beautiful sight to behold- we truly enjoyed walking the square and enjoyed helping several families wanting to take pictures. It really wrapped up an awesome week up here.

Jackie and I were grabbing dinner and she told me that she had started out unsure of whether she wanted to do this at all. She had only seen the Memphis to Little Rock to Texarkana view of Arkansas. She has fallen in love with the area, and is so heart warmed at the kindness of all of the people we have visited with throughout the area. She stood in a tshirt shop in Fayetteville and chatted with a local girl of about 20-something for at least 15+ minutes. This is not something she does all of the time. We are already looking forward to March, and the next trip up.
thanks for letting us share your week and enjoyed your reports. Have a wonderful holiday; we will hear more from you I am sure. Not to knock anyplace, but OMG, after living in Texas for 13 years as we did, AR is close to heaven.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:23 AM

2,148 posts, read 3,530,872 times
God bless, Wes. You all are discovering just what we did.......that Arkansas is a hidden gem of epic proportions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas