U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 08:52 AM

4,807 posts, read 4,203,545 times

Advertisements

Through these Arkansas forums my wife and I have learned of Van Buren, AR. Wow - those Victorian structures downtown. And the city is right next to Ft. Smith for all of its amenities and only an hour from Fayetteville and NWA! I am going to be looking at housing prices and such there. Glad to have learned about it - a river runs through it, too. The Arkansas River, no doubt. Still some learning ta do!

I am still working, 4 years and 9 months ta go full time medical work - then I may get a cleaning job part time ta pay for medical insurance until Medicare kicks in at 65. That's the rough plan - but Arkansas is playing prominently into our plans more so, now. New Mexico and Arizona were ahead, now not so much so. Thanks, y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 09:01 AM

172 posts, read 89,157 times
I am not knocking the state I have spent my entire almost 58 years in, but yes, this is such a beautiful spot to call home.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Through these Arkansas forums my wife and I have learned of Van Buren, AR. Wow - those Victorian structures downtown. And the city is right next to Ft. Smith for all of its amenities and only an hour from Fayetteville and NWA! I am going to be looking at housing prices and such there. Glad to have learned about it - a river runs through it, too. The Arkansas River, no doubt. Still some learning ta do!

I am still working, 4 years and 9 months ta go full time medical work - then I may get a cleaning job part time ta pay for medical insurance until Medicare kicks in at 65. That's the rough plan - but Arkansas is playing prominently into our plans more so, now. New Mexico and Arizona were ahead, now not so much so. Thanks, y'all!
We have toured through VB also, and really liked it. My wife's office is true downtown FS, so we are looking for a house, apartment or something close by that. There is a beautiful loft across the street from her office, so we are hoping there will be a 2/2 open this summer. I am not sure where I will be, since I still have to finalize changing over to an Ark teaching certificate and find a school. It's not a problem- just pieces to the puzzle.

Old 11-26-2016, 02:11 PM

We have toured through VB also, and really liked it. My wife's office is true downtown FS, so we are looking for a house, apartment or something close by that. There is a beautiful loft across the street from her office, so we are hoping there will be a 2/2 open this summer. I am not sure where I will be, since I still have to finalize changing over to an Ark teaching certificate and find a school. It's not a problem- just pieces to the puzzle.

Exactly. The whole thing (relocating) is like putting a 500-piece jigsaw puzzle together, right? We are kind of used to it - ever since my Boeing layoff of May 2003 - going back to school to get an Allied Healthcare degree - then graduating and going to work in the medical field - it gets downright crazy sometimes - all of the workplace politics and economics - there is a lot of insecurity - I am just longing for retirement - but can't yet - like I said, I'm planning on another 4 years and 9 months of fulltime medical work left - then possibly some part-time service employment like janitorial/cleaning, just in order to cover medical insurance - until Medicare kicks in at age 65. This is our rough plan - my wife is a cook and can help me in a cleaning business or working for someone else cleaning places - this will only be part-time, yes.

Van Buren, AR, will be perused now by us from afar - but we Googled it's distance from Grandview, MO, where we are, and it's not very far. A fun visit is in order - we'll check out any assorted surrounding areas we ought ta check out as we have time, too. Look forward to future comments and anecdotes from you on your "journey" - do keep us all informed, OK?

Old 11-27-2016, 06:19 AM

65,018 posts, read 72,756,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

We actually started our retirement in NM, but there were just too many problems in the state. The weather is the strong point for sure and the is a certain beauty in the state but after that is sorta went down hill. We have found AR has so much more to offer.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:53 PM

Ours has been one wild and whooly journey- at least on paper and in the car. 5 years ago, I had my student loans from my college and masters degree that totaled $105k. We owed a butt-load on credit cards and the house, all totalling over $250,000. I realized that we could NEVER retire and carry that sack of bricks with us. We went on a massive debt payoff and shoved all the money possible into paying off debt.
The student loans are gone, and all but the house will be paid off from that debt by next March. We owe a little on cars but that will be it when we sell the house.
Last year about this time, we went to Tennessee and looked east of Knoxville. We have also looked at retiring in NM, Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, Arizona, and many parts of Latin America. We looked into the CenTex area along San Antonio north to west of Ft. Worth. Things either didn't fit, were too expensive, or too far from the grandkids.
NWA is about 9-12 hours away from the grandkids, which is fine, and has all of the amenities we are looking for. The people are very friendly and I felt at home almost the first day. People sometimes drive like a lunatic on the mountain roads, but...

Old 11-28-2016, 05:53 AM

65,018 posts, read 72,756,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post
Ours has been one wild and whooly journey- at least on paper and in the car. 5 years ago, I had my student loans from my college and masters degree that totaled $105k. We owed a butt-load on credit cards and the house, all totalling over $250,000. I realized that we could NEVER retire and carry that sack of bricks with us. We went on a massive debt payoff and shoved all the money possible into paying off debt.
The student loans are gone, and all but the house will be paid off from that debt by next March. We owe a little on cars but that will be it when we sell the house.
Last year about this time, we went to Tennessee and looked east of Knoxville. We have also looked at retiring in NM, Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, Arizona, and many parts of Latin America. We looked into the CenTex area along San Antonio north to west of Ft. Worth. Things either didn't fit, were too expensive, or too far from the grandkids.
NWA is about 9-12 hours away from the grandkids, which is fine, and has all of the amenities we are looking for. The people are very friendly and I felt at home almost the first day. People sometimes drive like a lunatic on the mountain roads, but...
again Thanks so much for the updates as your week progressed. Good luck with the future plans.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:59 AM

2,292 posts, read 3,825,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post
People sometimes drive like a lunatic on the mountain roads, but...
Yes, and I've found the locals do love to tailgate, but I've also found that if you find a safe spot to let them pass they'll usually thank you with a friendly wave.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Yes, and I've found the locals do love to tailgate, but I've also found that if you find a safe spot to let them pass they'll usually thank you with a friendly wave.
I think we only had one person all week that almost climbed in the backseat with us. I guess the Texas plates made them think twice about following a flat-lander on mountain roads.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:14 PM

Interesting about the tailgating - we noticed it on our visit to Hot Springs in May. They do stand on it! I pulled over one time, IIRC. I used the opportunity ta test my driving skills. It was actually kind of fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas