Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 08:19 PM

11 posts, read 14,043 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Florida and so does my parents, but I am considering on going to school in Arkansas, how would I be able to qualify for in state tuition while still being an dependent. If all goes well, I will continue to live there for a couple of years. I also will be living there 6 mths prior to school and maybe more if I don't get into the school. This is a school I really want to attend but cannot fully afford, I will get a job there and everything but would appreciate being qualified for financial aide and in state tuition. I plan to go to UAM, can still be considered and dependent for financial aide even though my parents live in florida and I will be living in Arkansas?
http://uam-web2.uamont.edu/pdfs/registrar/residency.pdf
This is there residency requirements, is what I'm doing enough.

Last edited by kgacares; 10-23-2016 at 08:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 06:33 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,633,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgacares View Post
I currently live in Florida and so does my parents, but I am considering on going to school in Arkansas, how would I be able to qualify for in state tuition while still being an dependent. If all goes well, I will continue to live there for a couple of years. I also will be living there 6 mths prior to school and maybe more if I don't get into the school. This is a school I really want to attend but cannot fully afford, I will get a job there and everything but would appreciate being qualified for financial aide and in state tuition. I plan to go to UAM, can still be considered and dependent for financial aide even though my parents live in florida and I will be living in Arkansas?
http://uam-web2.uamont.edu/pdfs/registrar/residency.pdf
This is there residency requirements, is what I'm doing enough.
From what I learned when we moved here in 2015 (with a college kid), once you switch over your drivers license to your new Arkansas address or have other proof (like rent/lease papers), it's 6 months from then and you'd be in-state.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:57 AM

4,315 posts, read 3,976,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
From what I learned when we moved here in 2015 (with a college kid), once you switch over your drivers license to your new Arkansas address or have other proof (like rent/lease papers), it's 6 months from then and you'd be in-state.
Her parents will be living in Florida.

You mean all any out of state student has to do is get an Arkansas drivers license and 6 months later all out of state students qualify as in state ?

I sure hope Arkansas isn't that liberal when handing out lottery money to out of state students.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:12 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,420,118 times
OP, I think the web site you have gotten information from tells you exactly what you need to know and Holly has said the same. As for getting both out of state tuition waved and financial help, you will have to prove need as well as doing well on any entrance tests. Now, if you graduated in the top 10% of your class in high school and can prove it, that is a different story. Then it is easy to get out of state tuition waived. Our granddaughter did, but she also went to a highly competitive public school and did very well on her SATs. You will need to check with the university for more details. It appears you will need to move to the state and work for 6 months, then you can get in state tuition. btw, just read your post about So Dakota; why are you asking about AR and tuition when you are in the process of relocating for school there?

Last edited by nmnita; 10-24-2016 at 10:37 AM..

Old 10-24-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

You mean all any out of state student has to do is get an Arkansas drivers license and 6 months later all out of state students qualify as in state ?

I sure hope Arkansas isn't that liberal when handing out lottery money to out of state students.
Why wouldn't it? These "students" are actually adults. Whether they are still claimed under their parents taxes or not makes not difference in any of the financial parts of school.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

This isn't about handing out lottery money!!! I plan on living there and working for the next couple years of my life. I am more than happy to give to the state and have even considered paying out of state tuition but if I don't have to, why should I? I've been planning on leaving Florida for years, just haven't found the right state to move to. Arkansas just happen to be one of them that I've got my eye on. Going to school there was never in my plans but I might be moving there so why not?

Old 10-24-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OP, I think the web site you have gotten information from tells you exactly what you need to know and Holly has said the same. As for getting both out of state tuition waved and financial help, you will have to prove need as well as doing well on any entrance tests. Now, if you graduated in the top 10% of your class in high school and can prove it, that is a different story. Then it is easy to get out of state tuition waived. Our granddaughter did, but she also went to a highly competitive public school and did very well on her SATs. You will need to check with the university for more details. It appears you will need to move to the state and work for 6 months, then you can get in state tuition. btw, just read your post about So Dakota; why are you asking about AR and tuition when you are in the process of relocating for school there?
Mind your business and stop reading my previous post. Just answer the question. This thread does not relate to the previous. I'm asking about Arkansas.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Yes, but I'm not moving with my parents, I'm moving by myself.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:45 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,420,118 times
Quote:
Mind your business and stop reading my previous post. Just answer the question. This thread does not relate to the previous. I'm asking about Arkansas.
No reason to get so defensive: this is a public forum. Many view what we have posted on other threads. My question is a legit one: why are you asking about AR when you are in the process of starting school in So. Dakota? I am sure others would be curious to know as well.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Yes, but I'm not moving with my parents, I'm moving by myself.
You're an adult, right? Then it doesn't matter where your parents live. Our son moved here but lives in Bentonville. If he decided to go back for another semester, he is counted as in state now, but if he decided to apply for financial aid, then he must use our income, even though we don't claim him and he doesn't live with us. I can't remember the age cutoff for that, but I think it's 23.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: