U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-17-2008, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,767 times
i would definately like some more information..........

Old 04-18-2008, 09:10 AM

730 posts, read 1,297,438 times
Default So Excited!!

Finally taking the Crescent Hotel ghost tour tonight!!

Old 04-18-2008, 12:47 PM

5,949 posts, read 10,299,226 times
Please give us a review to add to the collection here - that's one thing in AR I've never done in my life...I'm kind of intrigued now.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:10 PM

730 posts, read 1,297,438 times
Well, made it back. The Crescent Hotel ghost tour is worth the money. The history of the place is amazing. First the building was a girl's home and then a "cancer cure hospital" where a quack named "Dr. Norman Baker" (a man with a 10th grade education and no medical training) promised people a cure for their cancer, collected their family's money, and them experimented on them until they died.Most of the bodies were stored and incinerated on the property while the families of the patients (who lived too far to travel) were told they were given proper burial.

I will admit that I did'nt actually see or experience anything supernatural, but the place gave me an overwhelmingly eerie feeling the moment we pulled up.We took both a digital and film camera. Did'nt capture anything on the digital- but I tell you the place really messes with electronics. Many people on our tour (including ourselves) had problems with cell phones and cameras that were fully charged going dead and then periodically coming on again.Many guests complain of incidents inside the hotel involving laptops.
I might add, we did not stay the night at the hotel after taking the tour. Most people did, but to be honest their is no way I could have slept.

There was a mother with four 12 year old boys staying in room 419 for the evening. This is supposed to be most active room (the one featured Ghost Hunters) It was the boys birthday present. I would love to know how their evening went,as the ghost who alledgedly haunts that room dislikes electronic devices and messes. Of course the boys were loaded with ipods, cell phones, laptops, etc.....

Yes, the fireplace is the creepiest thing.

Most certainly, this is a local attraction worth checking out.

Last edited by NOEM1226; 04-19-2008 at 06:20 PM..

Old 07-28-2008, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-rox View Post
Hello, does anyone have any experience with any spooky tales or places to see in Arkansas? Anything on the Gurdon Lights, Crossett Lights, Fouke Monster? Are there other "haunted" places to go and see across the state. We were thinking of going to Fouke and snooping around, or Gurdon to try and see the lights. Are these tales true or just hoaxes? Is there actually something to do involving these tales. Like say, a place to go and see any lights in Crossett or Gurdon, or a place to see the "Fouke Monster". Are they worth seeing or are there even better places? Might be a cool experience for the kids y' know. Thanks
It's been said that the Gurdon light was just gas fume's leaking down on the tracks making a spark so it looks like a light is there

Old 07-30-2008, 08:51 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,905,538 times
Default Capital Hauntings

Interesting story in today's Demozette about whether or not the Capital building is haunted! NWAnews.com :: Northwest Arkansas' News Source (http://www.nwanews.com/adg/News/232801/ - broken link)

Old 07-30-2008, 08:03 PM

106 posts, read 284,792 times
Interesting site that updates on some of the stores listed here ... Shadowlands Haunted Places Index - Arkansas

Old 08-04-2008, 05:41 PM

786 posts, read 1,471,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
The former physics department chair at HSU has seen the Gurdon light many times and given presentations about it.

Linky:

The Gurdon Light in Arkansas - Associated Content

Nashville Leader Online (http://www.nashvilleleader.com/articles/2006/09/27/news/02news.txt - broken link)

I went with a few of my friends once and didn't see anything, but supposedly the conditions weren't right. The graveyard is kind of odd, but not terribly creepy...only a few plots just thrown in some woods and but forgotten about. The scariest part was trying to negotiate the dilapidated railroad bridges in the dark.
You may not actually see it,but a trip to see the Gurdon Light is great fun. It's plenty spooky whether you see anything or not. I live just a few miles away,but I wish I had gone more when I was a kid. I guess I could go now,but I don't have the time anymore.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:38 AM

292 posts, read 809,383 times
Been to the Crescent many times, spent the night....have never seen or heard or felt anything. I think people see what they're looking for.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:56 AM

796 posts, read 1,432,955 times
Talking tales of the arkie spooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-rox View Post
Hello, does anyone have any experience with any spooky tales
Monticello, the 1930's - Mom worked in the cotton mill downtown and lived on the family farm deap in the woods east of town.

Up in the morning and off to work before daylight - sun up even, she would meet a nephew who would be carrying a lantern that she could see a dancing along the path.

One morning, try as she might, she could not catch up and when she got a good look at the dancing light there was no one holding it.

Meg, 1920's setting around the stove reading Treasure Island and hearing from the attic the trump of a foot followed by the stomp of - the peg -
Dad said that later in the year that they cached old peg again, a big fat rat that had been caught before and it had gnawed the trapped paw off leaving a stomping stump.

Midland, 1950's went to the neighbors halloween night, mom insisted that second son go out back of the house and check that the hen house door was closed. So bra and I went with for back up. Low and behold this white goblin with no feet came at us from around said hen house. I have never seen some one move so fast, he was out of the yard crossing the road, bra and me were just approaching the kitchen door where dad with youngest son in his arms was standing taking in the tells of the goblins. I was in shock - Dad and youngest son were not scared a tall.

Same time frame, same neighbor sent second son to our house with tale of wildcat cornered up a tree, to come with his blunderbuss. One blam later another neighbor's house cat is back on the ground dead. Guess it had used up the other eight in some one else's trees. Now them 6 foot rattlesnakes under the barn------ took a couple of blams for them, even then the shivers on the neck------

Last edited by ArkansasTraveler; 08-08-2008 at 02:01 AM.. Reason: would and wood are two different lumbers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas