U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-04-2016, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
6 posts, read 6,242 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I am considering these two towns as a retirement destination, primarily for the very low cost of real estate.
From what I have learned they appear to be quite similar, with Harrison having an edge ( at least for me) because it is not as isolated as Mountain Home.
However, I have noticed that several retirement books have recommended Mountain Home without even mentioning Harrison. Can anyone familiar with both offer an idea as to why this might be?

Bulletbobb
Anaheim, CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2016, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Van Buren, Arkansas
172 posts, read 88,932 times
Reputation: 156
Following this myself...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2016, 08:21 AM
 
Location: East Texas
400 posts, read 308,774 times
Reputation: 594
All I can tell you about Harrison is there's no scenery, it's cold and very cheap to live. They have a Walmart also.
We used to stay at their RV park on the way to Hot Springs or somewhere. Nothing noteworthy about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2016, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Van Buren, Arkansas
172 posts, read 88,932 times
Reputation: 156
We went through Mountain Home and Harrison during Thanksgiving week. We liked both-but Harrison is pretty much flat and standard. Just to the south is really a beautiful area, though. We had lunch and dinner at local places there, and both were friendly and had good food.
Mountain Home was much better visually, and the lake to the east was really nice. It is more remote, and didn't seem to have as much for entertainment, food, or shopping. We liked both for different reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2016, 10:05 AM
 
4,316 posts, read 1,583,762 times
Reputation: 7490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletbobb View Post
I am considering these two towns as a retirement destination, primarily for the very low cost of real estate.
From what I have learned they appear to be quite similar, with Harrison having an edge ( at least for me) because it is not as isolated as Mountain Home.
However, I have noticed that several retirement books have recommended Mountain Home without even mentioning Harrison. Can anyone familiar with both offer an idea as to why this might be?

Bulletbobb
Anaheim, CA
I will answer your question...........despite Mountain Home being much more than a retirement destination, Mountain Home aggressively worked to attract retirees.
When I first started researching areas for retirement, Mountain Home was working hard getting their name out there.
Before I had a computer and internet ( late 1990's ) I contacted Chamber of Commerce by phone and they would gladly send a mailbox full of useful info. One major realtor sent a catalogue ..........half of it was it's listings and half the catalogue was info about the city of Mountain Home.
Mountain Home touted its lakes and medical facilities ( Baxter Regional ) as a draw for retirees.
They even had a page devoted entirely to the climate along with highs and lows for each month.


I , also, got a recording where they interviewed people from Chicago and other areas who had moved there.


So to answer, for many years back, Mountain Home "got the word out ".
Harrison I had not ever heard of until I noticed it on a map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2016, 02:43 PM
 
4,358 posts, read 5,367,326 times
Reputation: 5848
I've never been to Mountain Home.

Harrison is fairly flat right in town, but any direction you go from there is great beauty. It is just north of Newton County, the most beautiful county in Arkansas (IMO), and the Buffalo National River, with several access points close by. You didn't say if you were looking for outdoor activities but if you are, go for Harrison. It's also not far from Eureka Springs, a great day-trip destination that never gets old. Branson is not far if you like that kind of stuff.

Harrison also has a pretty downtown "square" with a good many shops and even an old-time "cafe" (The Town House...my daughter and I sat there and drank coffee one morning while waiting on the shops to open, and enjoyed the clink of the diner cups in the kitchen, smelling the food, watching the world go by out the window, reading the paper, etc. We ate lunch there also...bowl of beans and cornbread -- the beans were pretty good but the cornbread was terrible). They have also restored their old movie theater, called the "Lyric".

I'm guessing you have already been looking at real estate in Harrison and know that there are some pretty good deals on some fixer-uppers.

Get on google maps and do a street view of the downtown area and also the neighborhoods that the "deals" are in. Also, if you have the time to just goof off, "drive" the area around Silver Valley Rd and Cottonwood Rd with street view. Beautiful! As a matter of fact, I posted some of that in a thread not long ago....here it is: Remember how I've said Arkansas looks like Ireland in some places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2016, 03:07 PM
 
4,316 posts, read 1,583,762 times
Reputation: 7490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I've never been to Mountain Home.

Harrison is fairly flat right in town, but any direction you go from there is great beauty. It is just north of Newton County, the most beautiful county in Arkansas (IMO), and the Buffalo National River, with several access points close by. You didn't say if you were looking for outdoor activities but if you are, go for Harrison. It's also not far from Eureka Springs, a great day-trip destination that never gets old. Branson is not far if you like that kind of stuff.

Harrison also has a pretty downtown "square" with a good many shops and even an old-time "cafe" (The Town House...my daughter and I sat there and drank coffee one morning while waiting on the shops to open, and enjoyed the clink of the diner cups in the kitchen, smelling the food, watching the world go by out the window, reading the paper, etc. We ate lunch there also...bowl of beans and cornbread -- the beans were pretty good but the cornbread was terrible). They have also restored their old movie theater, called the "Lyric".

I'm guessing you have already been looking at real estate in Harrison and know that there are some pretty good deals on some fixer-uppers.

Get on google maps and do a street view of the downtown area and also the neighborhoods that the "deals" are in. Also, if you have the time to just goof off, "drive" the area around Silver Valley Rd and Cottonwood Rd with street view. Beautiful! As a matter of fact, I posted some of that in a thread not long ago....here it is: Remember how I've said Arkansas looks like Ireland in some places?
( 2nd paragraph).........if "outdoor activities" include the water, Mountain Home wins easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2016, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Ozark Mountains Arkansas
1,297 posts, read 777,280 times
Reputation: 2764
I live in Newton county which is just south of Harrison, but Harrison is our "goto" place for Wal-Mart'in and larger stores and my main real estate office is located there. It's a smallish city but is near so many great activities like Newton county which offers spectacular outdoor activities like hiking, canoeing, scenery, etc. , Eureka Springs which I call the New Orleans of the Ozarks, and only 30 minutes from Branson MO which has lots of entertainment, shopping, and has some beautiful lakes. Harrison is a very clean town with a very low cost of living. Like the previous poster said, it's surrounded by mountains on all sides. I'm not very familiar with Mountain Home though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2017, 12:54 PM
 
52 posts, read 69,432 times
Reputation: 42
HARRISON versus MTN.HOME
HSN. Has more industry =more jobs, with some old run down areas in town.
More convenient and better safer roads to travel to other towns.


M. H. Close to 2 huge lakes, a clean town that is remote to other towns, most retirees do not like the twisty no guard rail roads when leaving town to travel, also no airport.
If you like to shop or eat out and drive, this may not be for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2017, 02:44 PM
 
4,358 posts, read 5,367,326 times
Reputation: 5848
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
( 2nd paragraph).........if "outdoor activities" include the water, Mountain Home wins easily.
That depends on whether you prefer lakes or rivers and creeks. I prefer rivers and creeks. There are plenty of those around Harrison, namely the beautiful Buffalo. Crooked Creek is also a beautiful creek and it runs right through Harrison. I think people even canoe Crooked Creek in the spring?

I prefer running water to still. Those lakes in Arkansas are beautiful as far as lakes go, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top