U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 08:33 AM

61,837 posts, read 67,096,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Give us an example of what rights the new administration is taking away?"....to answer your question Nita...they've done nothing substantial... yet, they just assumed the leadership position. Without diving into political ideologies, which would cause the thread to be locked...one only has to look into the past statements/actions of the two people currently in charge, and reasonably be able to predict the future road they will travel regarding women. It's obvious that at least 3 million people were concerned enough to get out, march and be heard. Marches may be trivialized by some...asking "what will they achieve"....look back for the answer....the Civil Rights march, the Anti-War marches in the 60's/70's, the marching farm workers....they can, and do have results. In four years, look back and reflect on how women particularly, (all of us for that matter) fared. Regardless of polical affiliation, if one is comfortable with the anticipated path of the current administration, so be it, nothing I can point to will alter that. Some of the foundations of our country....freedom of speech, to our beliefs, religion, politics, ideologies...and opinions. But most of all Freedom, thanks to those who have served in our Military...both men and women.

But, back to the original question of the OP...."why"...to which I posted information that outlined some of the "why" women were marching, one only has to listen to them to learn what they wanted to acheive... By the looks of it, the participants succeeded in showing the country they will not lay down subserviently, to be groped, marginalized...or to be silent.

Regards
Gemstone1
lu

there is a huge difference between the 60s and now: were you an adult in the 60s? I am guessing not. first of all, the peace marches accomplished nothing, I was living in some of the most liberal places in the country at the time. Civil rights marches might be a different story. Even then, the marches were an attempt to change the laws, what laws do you think the marchers were trying to change yesterday? No one is saying we should not have the right to exercise our freedoms; this is what makes America the best country on earth: the question is: do marches like yesterday do any good? my view: absolutely no, but they do cause bedlem, shut down businesses, cause traffic jams etc and cause unneccessary problem for many who are innncent. You should have heard what happened in Los Angeles yesterday for starters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 09:47 AM

1,162 posts, read 627,565 times
No rights have been taken away from women, no rights will be taken away from women, and no rights have even been threatened to be taken away. Period.

I think some are still upset because their side lost the election.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:16 AM

168 posts, read 59,147 times
Quote:
"Posting several liberal biased articles"...huh ?

Link 1 is a Cosmopolitan article....a Womens magazine

Link 2 is a Planned Parenthood article....they help women

Link 3 is a Forbes article...Steve Forbes may be a lot of things, but liberal is not one of them

Link 4 is a Huff Post article...OK, maybe a liberal slanted publication

These articles lay out the facts behind the man, not faux news or propaganda. This is who the man is folks, this is not political, this is his record as a public official. Do your own research, google "mike pence, record on womens rights"....then tell me it's liberally biased.

But bottom line.....Women marched today to be heard and felt by the incoming administration....to say they they will not stand still to have 50 years of hard won womens rights abolished by the new occupants.

Regards
Gemstone1
So I can put down on the calendar the date for the anti-Muslim Shariah Law march for women's rights for next week? Since they only stone their women, it may not be worth the bother... smh.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:43 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,919,715 times
"were you an adult in the 60s? I am guessing not." there ya go again Nita....assuming. " first of all, the peace marches accomplished nothing"...nothing as in contrubuting to an earlier conclusion to the Vietnam conflict, contributing the the decision of LBJ not to seek a second term, contributing to the students rights to free speech on campus, contributing to the conferring of equal rights to the LGBT community, contributing to bringing to the forefront the fact that racism still exists today, showing that police brutality against minorities exists in our law enforcement community, and has forced them to change....and who can forget Tiananmen Square or Lech Walesa.....nah, nothing important ever comes out of protesting.

"what laws do you think the marchers were trying to change yesterday?" Their clear message is/was, do not think of changing laws in a rearward direction, we are millions strong, and we will fight your attempts to erase our movement forward.

"but they do cause bedlem, shut down businesses, cause traffic jams etc and cause unneccessary problem for many who are innncent"....in yesterdays case, which really is the topic of conversation, the marchers were legal, they had been given the required permits to assemble and march.

Regards
Gemstone1

Last edited by gemstone1; 01-22-2017 at 11:01 AM..

Old 01-22-2017, 11:10 AM

61,837 posts, read 67,096,892 times
Quote:
"were you an adult in the 60s? I am guessing not." there ya go again Nita....assuming. " first of all, the peace marches accomplished nothing"...nothing as in contrubuting to an earlier conclusion to the Vietnam conflict, contributing the the decision of LBJ not to seek a second term, contributing to the students rights to free speech on campus, contributing to the conferring of equal rights to the LGBT community, contributing to bringing to the forefront the fact that racism still exists today, showing that police brutality against minorities exists in our law enforcement community, and has forced them to change....and who can forget Tiananmen Square or Lech Walesa.....nah, nothing important ever comes out of protesting.

"what laws do you think the marchers were trying to change yesterday?" Their clear message is/was, do not think of changing laws in a rearward direction, we are millions strong, and we will fight your attempts to erase our movement forward.

"but they do cause bedlem, shut down businesses, cause traffic jams etc and cause unneccessary problem for many who are innncent"....in yesterdays case, which really is the topic of conversation, the marchers were legal, they had been given the required permits to assemble and march.

Regards
Gemstone1
they still caused bedlem. No one said they were not legally there. And if what you are saying holds water, then it wasn't a womens march for rights as it was portrayed it was a march for humanity, right?

No, Johnson did not decide not to run based on the war, but more on his health which was failing badly and his lack of popularity. Racism does exist, and it is much worse now than 8 years ago, but who is protesting? Not the conservatives or most liberals: those who are doing the protesting are hurting the cause, not helping.If course many of them have time to protest cause they are not out making a living for their families unless you call looting making a living. Yes, racism exists, how else do you explain the killing of so many cops this past year?

Now, I think I will let this subject die its natural death. There is little else to say when talking to deaf ears.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:09 PM

168 posts, read 59,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
they still caused bedlem. No one said they were not legally there. And if what you are saying holds water, then it wasn't a womens march for rights as it was portrayed it was a march for humanity, right?

No, Johnson did not decide not to run based on the war, but more on his health which was failing badly and his lack of popularity. Racism does exist, and it is much worse now than 8 years ago, but who is protesting? Not the conservatives or most liberals: those who are doing the protesting are hurting the cause, not helping.If course many of them have time to protest cause they are not out making a living for their families unless you call looting making a living. Yes, racism exists, how else do you explain the killing of so many cops this past year?

Now, I think I will let this subject die its natural death. There is little else to say when talking to deaf ears.
Agreed. If you look at the funding for black lives and this march, it is primarily coming from George Soros and anarchy groups bent on a radical overthrow and revolution. Really has little to do with who is in the Oval Office. This is a revolution designed to push progressives to the left faster.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:28 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,917,906 times
What was the outcome of the 4 months Occupy Wall Street Movement again?

Old 01-22-2017, 03:54 PM

1,162 posts, read 627,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
What was the outcome of the 4 months Occupy Wall Street Movement again?
It resulted in a huge city cleanup bill handed to the taxpayers. The "occupiers" crapped on everything from police cars to their own sleep quarters. It was all real classy.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:17 AM

681 posts, read 253,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Posting several liberal biased articles won't help your case. This isn't the place for political discussions. The time for campaigning is over. We have a new administration in office effective yesterday. Done deal.
Liberal biased? It is well known and easily verifiable that Pence did these things. I guess in the conservative thesaurus biased and criticism are synonyms now.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:21 AM

681 posts, read 253,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Lack of popularity stemming largely from the unpopularity of the Vietnam War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas