U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2008, 09:50 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,361,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
IMHO the process of forming stereotypes is a natural survival skill ingrained in our DNA from the first homo ergaster (they were even before the first homo erectus).
Bull......yah got an awful lot uh 'book-lurnin' to be wantin' to hang around these parts.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:21 PM

5 posts, read 13,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
Thanks Clay Lady. That means a lot and I appreciate it!

Funny you mention Jasper. I went to the Math and Science School in AR, and the smartest person I have EVER met (and probably ever will) was from Jasper.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:35 PM

2,639 posts, read 5,061,452 times
My family lives in Arkansas - cousins, uncle/aunt, etc. My brother moved out there some decades ago and hasn't looked back.

It's just not for me. It's TOO behind the times. I'm specifically referring to Fort Smith, by the way.

- Grandparents had all sorts of crops in their backyard. And it wasn't even a farm! You just don't see that out this way.
- Grandparents on my father's side had an old (circa 1900, by my estimate) tractor on the side of their house. I think it's still there.
- Cars were rare. The streets were frequently empty.
- Sidewalks are almost unheard of.
- No kids playing in the streets (I do like that though)
- Everyone had the southern drawl - this is the deal breaker right here.

I'll never forget going out there to visit my grandmother and going to the mall out there - they'd just gotten the PlayStation in stock when I was busy playing PlayStation 2. Come on now.

One thing I'll give Fort Smith AR credit for: food.

Crab legs from White Castle w/butter = no comparison to anything California has, not even Brigantine.

What-a-Burger (did they go out of business?)

Sonic Drive In (they're in California, but not nearly as authentic as out there)

Hardee's

Old 07-27-2008, 05:17 PM

620 posts, read 1,825,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Bull......yah got an awful lot uh 'book-lurnin' to be wantin' to hang around these parts.
Naah! ... I just use Google when I get stumped and say what I want to say no matter how big the words are.

Being from Arkansas and still carrying this southern accent around, I have to be a little iconoclastic to keep these Yankees off balance just a little.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:12 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,358,955 times
there's all kinds of ignorance out there and sterotyping Arkansas is just one of them...I went for a visit and was sold on the place. I can fish and not have someone worry that I'm hurting the poor little fish........I can breath air that I can't see......I can hunt and be normal, not percieved as some right wing militia type.......you get the idea...

Old 07-27-2008, 06:30 PM

10,167 posts, read 16,655,696 times
Speaking as a Texan and neighbor state, I always thought of Arkansas as "kinfolk."

There might be some issues, and us make fun of one another, even scrap a bit...but when it comes down to it, we usually fight on the same side of the creek.

And, like super sweet tea, it might not be MY favorite thing in the world...but I will be dammed if I want to hear any yankees gettin' too uppity about 'em...by gawd, high cotton and catfish!

Old 07-27-2008, 06:50 PM

5,340 posts, read 12,356,277 times
Hey - I'm from Jersey - how do you think we feel! LOL

Old 07-27-2008, 06:55 PM

184,077 posts, read 75,024,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Hey - I'm from Jersey - how do you think we feel! LOL
Never been to Jersey so can't comment except to say I have friends form Jersey and to them the key operative word is "From". Now I don't have a clue as to why and I'd never bash Jersey on unfounded claims. I'm a nice southern cracker that would still get his glutals tanned by a very senior mom if I did. I have heard through the grapevine that you have a few to the north of you who like to ramble on about ya'll though...

Old 07-28-2008, 08:06 AM

69,366 posts, read 79,558,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
My family lives in Arkansas - cousins, uncle/aunt, etc. My brother moved out there some decades ago and hasn't looked back.

It's just not for me. It's TOO behind the times. I'm specifically referring to Fort Smith, by the way.

- Grandparents had all sorts of crops in their backyard. And it wasn't even a farm! You just don't see that out this way.
- Grandparents on my father's side had an old (circa 1900, by my estimate) tractor on the side of their house. I think it's still there.
- Cars were rare. The streets were frequently empty.
- Sidewalks are almost unheard of.
- No kids playing in the streets (I do like that though)
- Everyone had the southern drawl - this is the deal breaker right here.

I'll never forget going out there to visit my grandmother and going to the mall out there - they'd just gotten the PlayStation in stock when I was busy playing PlayStation 2. Come on now.

One thing I'll give Fort Smith AR credit for: food.

Crab legs from White Castle w/butter = no comparison to anything California has, not even Brigantine.

What-a-Burger (did they go out of business?)

Sonic Drive In (they're in California, but not nearly as authentic as out there)

Hardee's
My how we see things: growing produce? We lived in Calif for years, always grew some of our own produce (I am sure not like you are referring to) southern drawl: that is all bad? I believe we have had a couple of Presidents with this problem as you see it, 3 or 4 come to mind right now.
No cars on the streets? What time of the day? Ft Smith is a pretty busy place with traffic just like many areas, but certainly not like San Diego which is one big freeway clear up to San Francisco.

Now for the things you like: you mention Sonic, Hardees, What a Burger when you have "in and out" you are so lucky, most of us from Calif, if there is one thing or two we miss it is "In and Out" and Trader Joes.

It is a matter of what you like, ft smith is very different from say NWA, just like Escondido is very different from Los Angeles but I am guessing you are pretty young to be making the comparisons you are. I could be wrong.

I am not attacking your views, they are yours and you have a right to them, I am saying, some are in the minority.

Nita

Old 07-28-2008, 08:33 AM

2,639 posts, read 5,061,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My how we see things: growing produce? We lived in Calif for years, always grew some of our own produce (I am sure not like you are referring to)
I'm assuming you had less than an acre of open land. My grandparents had 3 acres full of crops. Highly unlikely you had that.

Quote:
southern drawl: that is all bad? I believe we have had a couple of Presidents with this problem as you see it, 3 or 4 come to mind right now.
I guess you missed the memo where I said It's just not for me, meaning I don't personally care for it. It's a matter of bad or good; I just don't like it. My parents still have not gotten rid of theirs. In my experience, living in California, you really need to sound like you've been here for 20-something years or people think down on you. Hence, the topic of this thread. If people never asked me where I was from, they'd never figure I was born in Florida, or had family in Arkansas just by the tone of my voice and its lack of any appreciable accent.

Quote:
No cars on the streets? What time of the day? Ft Smith is a pretty busy place with traffic just like many areas, but certainly not like San Diego which is one big freeway clear up to San Francisco.
Maybe they've evolved. The last time I went to Fort Smith was approximately 15 or so years ago. In the residential areas, cars just were not there. Of course people had cars, but there was no driving up and down the streets like out here. Here, traffic signals in major residential areas is common; out there, they made do with stop signs. That alone should tell you that traffic was not nearly thick enough as compared to out here.

Quote:
Now for the things you like: you mention Sonic, Hardees, What a Burger when you have "in and out" you are so lucky, most of us from Calif, if there is one thing or two we miss it is "In and Out" and Trader Joes.
In N Out has two things on its side: Burgers, and shakes. The fries are disgusting compared to every other fast food joint. They're slow to prepare the food, lines are frequently long (because of the burgers and hidden menu items) and the place is hardly ever clean due to the rampant amount of traffic. Trader Joes I can't speak to, never been, never bothered, but IMO, Hardees blows most San Diego fast foods "In N Out" of the water; greatest shakes on earth. And don't even get me started on the A&W restaurant. Ours is bulked in with an Arby's or something stupid - a pale shadow of the Fort Smith one.

Quote:
It is a matter of what you like, ft smith is very different from say NWA, just like Escondido is very different from Los Angeles but I am guessing you are pretty young to be making the comparisons you are. I could be wrong.
You missed the other memo where I said, I'm specifically referring to Fort Smith. I'm not judging any other part of Arkansas. In fact I'm not even negatively judging Fort Smith. It's just not for me. Read the memos, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or