U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 05:50 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,374,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
It really upsets me when people in the Los Angeles forum read I'm on my way to Arkansas and they start in on the "backwoods" and "redneck" jokes. It's highly annoying.
CESpeed, my wife is from southern California, and I hear some version of southern bashing every other time I'm there, it seems. I live in Georgia by the way. There tends to be a greater percentage of people from California bashing the South than of practically anywhere else, and this is based on my own personal observations over the years.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:57 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,374,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
Also when I lived in North Carolina there were so many "rednecks" and yet if I mention that state in conversation I get comments on it beaches and beauties- Not it's shortcomings as far as undereducated rural communities.Do not slam me NC- I loved living in your state but felt it was in many ways similar to life in Arkansas.
My wife's family is originally from North Carolina, and life in North Carolina is as southern as Arkansas, with perhaps a few areas near Charlotte and Raleigh.

For some reason, North Carolina gets treated as though it is somehow different, moreso than Georgia which has a greater population. Perhaps it has something to do with their longer coastline, better mountains and medium-sized cities fit for growth amongst northerners who desire a nice, more affordable suburban lifestyle. Only metro Atlanta in Georgia is not the brunt of jokes.

Southern-bashing is ridiculous, as the people of the South aren't more "redneck" or "hick" than people in other regions. Sure, we have a different accent, but so does every region.

I suppose you can chalk all of the southern-bashing up to Hollywood media which made sure that people villify southerners, having them believe that we that which we are not.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:51 PM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
My wife's family is originally from North Carolina, and life in North Carolina is as southern as Arkansas, with perhaps a few areas near Charlotte and Raleigh.

For some reason, North Carolina gets treated as though it is somehow different, moreso than Georgia which has a greater population. Perhaps it has something to do with their longer coastline, better mountains and medium-sized cities fit for growth amongst northerners who desire a nice, more affordable suburban lifestyle. Only metro Atlanta in Georgia is not the brunt of jokes.

Southern-bashing is ridiculous, as the people of the South aren't more "redneck" or "hick" than people in other regions. Sure, we have a different accent, but so does every region.

I suppose you can chalk all of the southern-bashing up to Hollywood media which made sure that people villify southerners, having them believe that we that which we are not.
you may be right and again I want to add: how many of our Pres since the early 60s have been from the south: I think it is about 4: am I wrong?

Nita

Old 07-30-2008, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,335 times
I personally don't live my life caring about what persons from other areas than which I live think about me. Life is too short to really care. If one is so miserable, there are plenty of roads that lead out of the state. Go to those big crowded cities, no one is holding you back.
I am not the least offended by the word, "Hillbilly", especially after learning the word's origin. Arkansas was settled by a lot of Scotch/Irish imigrants. Their word for "Friend" was "Billie" or a word sounding as such. Thus, "Hillbilly" means "Friend from the Hills". I am not at all offended by this conotation. Plus, if the rest of the world doesn't want to be around their idea of a 'Hillbilly', GREAT! We moved to Arkansas to get away from the crowded, crime ridden cities and enjoy the laid back life. Yes, there are drugs, but where are there not drugs? There are stupid, low class human beings all over the world, but with a smaller the population, the chances of a large quantity of lowlifes won't be living around here. Good-bye big city - Hello country.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:07 PM

3,446 posts, read 7,656,988 times
I feel your pain. I am orginally from NJ and everyone thinks NJ is full of Sopranos like people, crime and grime - but there are many areas of NJ full of farmland, horse grazing and beautiful contryside - we are not called the "Garden State" for nothing

Old 07-31-2008, 12:26 AM

168 posts, read 436,530 times
My experience as someone born and raised in Alabama:

I would never bash Arkansas as being hillbilly....I've been to the Fayetteville area...it's fast growing and has many educated people. I would like to complain about the rudeness though (shocker?)...they must not like my Alabama cartag or OU Sooners stickers LOL

As for New Jersey, I have never met nicer people. They tend to have more fun in life and help us to ignore the rudeness of New York City....which SHOULD NEVER represent the entire state of New York

California is the most beautiful state I've ever been....this being if you're used to seeing the Smoky Mountain areas of the Southeast. I've met both very nice and very rude people from California. The only complaint would be the "plasticness" I saw in a few people while I was visiting. Great state overall though!

And forgive me for not sticking to the point. I travel through Arkansas a lot. The "rudeness" I've experienced probably comes from the more deprived areas I'm driving through. And as for states unfairly being labeled hillbilly....I have a friend at Harvard who was asked if he had running water back home.....so there you go!

Old 07-31-2008, 05:41 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,524,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I feel your pain. I am orginally from NJ and everyone thinks NJ is full of Sopranos like people, crime and grime - but there are many areas of NJ full of farmland, horse grazing and beautiful contryside - we are not called the "Garden State" for nothing
People in the south are just as guilty of stereotyping non-southerners as people from elsewhere stereotype the south. I've never been to New Jersey, I'm sure it's nice, but I've noticed that Pennsylvania, another northeastern state, gets a lot of flack for being some dirty old rust belt state. When in fact, it has some of the most beautiful countryside I've ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiefrombama View Post

I would never bash Arkansas as being hillbilly....I've been to the Fayetteville area...it's fast growing and has many educated people. I would like to complain about the rudeness though (shocker?)...they must not like my Alabama cartag or OU Sooners stickers LOL

And forgive me for not sticking to the point. I travel through Arkansas a lot. The "rudeness" I've experienced probably comes from the more deprived areas I'm driving through. And as for states unfairly being labeled hillbilly....I have a friend at Harvard who was asked if he had running water back home.....so there you go!
Not sure why this exists, but I was born and mostly raised in Arkansas, and I too have noticed the rudeness. I always got sick of hearing about "southern hospitality", because I had no idea what people were talking about. We were in Alabama for a few years when I was young, and I do remember it being one of the friendliest places we lived in.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:23 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,467,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by left4gradschool View Post
Funny you mention Jasper. I went to the Math and Science School in AR, and the smartest person I have EVER met (and probably ever will) was from Jasper.
Hey ! This is great to hear ! Jasper is 19 miles from us...and our county seat. (I wonder if I know that person ?)

I am a transplanted Idahoan, and, after living here for 31 years, I am a pretty much 'dyed in the wool' Arkie, and not ashamed of it. My husband's cousin is the sheriff of Newton County ( our county).
I knew a few native Idahoans that were worse hicks than most anyone I know here. I suspect they are everywhere.

And kind, considerate, people abound here.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:36 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,856,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiefrombama View Post

As for New Jersey, I have never met nicer people. They tend to have more fun in life and help us to ignore the rudeness of New York City....which SHOULD NEVER represent the entire state of New York

California is the most beautiful state I've ever been....this being if you're used to seeing the Smoky Mountain areas of the Southeast. I've met both very nice and very rude people from California. The only complaint would be the "plasticness" I saw in a few people while I was visiting. Great state overall though!

I doubt anyone cared at all about the Sooners sticker...the "Bama tag now...that's a whole 'nother story

We tend to like Auburn fans a whole lot better than tide fans. But that still ain't getting you too many brownie points.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:36 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,467,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
It really upsets me when people in the Los Angeles forum read I'm on my way to Arkansas and they start in on the "backwoods" and "redneck" jokes. It's highly annoying.
It isn't just the people from Los Angeles that do that. When we were 'fixin' to move from Idaho to Arkansas, my Boise cousins made all those stupid remarks about 'one leg shorter than the other' and going barefoot. It really annoyed me. But that was over 30 years ago, and all but one of the 5 cousins have passed on, and I am still going !
I don't guess they are making those jokes anymore....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or