U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 07:48 PM

47 posts, read 124,316 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I say a few negative things about some of the cities in Arkansas...Fort Smith etc., but I agree that Arkansas does definitly get a bad rap. I have been all over the country and I can tell you that Arkansas does get a bad wrap. I think it is because it does not have a major city. I wish it did. I like cities. However, there are not many cities the size of Fayetteville that stack up very well against it.

When I moved from Georgia to Little Rock, people could not believe I was moving here, of course, they had never been here before. I would pick Fayetteville or Little Rock over any city in Georgia, Kansas, or Oklahoma.

I believe Little Rock and Fayetteville will continue to grow. Fayetteville will have a growth problem with the way the roads are structered there, but Little Rock has huge potential. I have never seen a city so ideally situated by the interstates that surround it. I hate to put down another state, but Mississippi is the worst state I have been to.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:34 PM

77 posts, read 205,612 times
Many of the stereotypes of Arkansas are true just too a much smaller extent than they are presented, as it really is with every state.

When I go back to NYC I hear the stereotypes in all aspects of life, from old friends to my business dealings, albeit in really brief meetings, with City officials and real estate billionaires and many of them are true to the extent which I mentioned earlier.

-The crippling obsession and identification with that damn pig, also high school football. This is the only stereotype I cannot refute or marginalize, how obsessed an area is with the athletic achievements of others. To be honest I would rather see the confederate flag in place of the pig, that flag is at least representative of active thought and ideals, ones I do not agree with but ideals non the less.

But what are the other stereotypes against this state? Bigoted? Bible Thumping? A lesser educated populous? Reliance upon the automobile? kissing cousins?

Now the last one can be refuted but the others cannot, heck the reasons for the bigoted, as seen by others, actions Arkansans take is often a biblical context such as the much bemused "Adam and Steve" reference. But hey a lynching has probably not occurred in this state in 30 years!

Now for others to argue that the south in general does not believe in the separation of church and state, despite its very prominent position in the Bill of Rights, I actually do believe the south firmly believes in a "Christian Government," is the exact same thing as blue states wanting any, limits on arms ownership, in the linguistics of the second we should be able to own nukes. Numerical representation does not mean superiority in the constitution.

Edit: One last stereotype I frequently hear that is partially true: Lack of a diversified economy. The economy is as about as reliant on Walmart and agriculture as Michigan was, for heaven's sake Walmart is the same size according to GDP as GM was during its peak. But this stereotype is only partly true as unlike the Dutch ( as in Dutch Disease) and Michigan they are trying to expand their economy into different fields.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:10 PM

138 posts, read 317,279 times
Most common Arkansas stereotypes and their reality
--------------------------------------------------

Marrying cousins - Maybe in some small towns between Ft. Smith and Fayetteville (they can get pretty scary), but its hardly the norm.

Everybody runs around barefoot - Never seen this in public

Most people have bubba teeth - seen a few with bubba teeth but its hardly the norm

Biggoted - Maybe. In much of rural Arkansas, you can't be accepted unless you are a WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant). There is nowhere in the state, not even in Little Rock, that gays can really feel comfortable and accepted, except for maybe Eureka Springs

Bible Thumping - Agree with this, but its not unique to Arkansas or even the South for that matter

Bad education - This is much better than it was, but still has a long ways to go. This one hits me personally because I tried to get a job out of state when I graduated college, but out of state employers look down on Arkansas education. I am going to give it another shot when I have a few years of career experience.

Reliance on the automobile - True. Fayetteville is probably the most walkable community but even it is incredibly suburban by true urbanite standards. Little Rock is almost one big suburb in itself. Many people commute long distances (50-100+ miles) to their jobs

Like everywhere, the stereotypes have some truth to them but are much overgeneralized. What makes Arkansas different is the state seems to be defined by its stereotypes and people here often show pride in living out those stereotypes instead of trying to disprove them.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:30 PM

47 posts, read 124,316 times
I agree will Gallbaro on each of his points, especially that Damn pig. Everywhere you look, you see it. I think that pulling for that team makes the people here feel like there part of a club. If you are a fan, "you are one of us." I think they are more accepting of an atheist than someone that does not support the pig.

When I was saying bad rap, I was comparing the reputation to other southern states and those less populated states. All of the points that Gallbaro made above are equally applicable to Georgia, Mississippi, Louisianna, South Carolina, and North Carolina, but Arkansas is considered, at least by the people that I have spoken to, the worst.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:34 PM

138 posts, read 317,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaddy View Post
I agree will Gallbaro on each of his points, especially that Damn pig. Everywhere you look, you see it. I think that pulling for that team makes the people here feel like there part of a club. If you are a fan, "you are one of us." I think they are more accepting of an atheist than someone that does not support the pig.
Thats the result of having only one major university in the state. Most other states have at least 2 or more.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:05 PM

77 posts, read 205,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubLR View Post
Thats the result of having only one major university in the state. Most other states have at least 2 or more.
The obsession with the athletic achievements of others has nothing to do with amount of sports teams in a state.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 PM

134 posts, read 453,312 times
I lived there a year and a half and loved it. But I will say that when I crossed the state line for the first time, the very first thing I heard on the radio was, "Call in now! The tenth caller wins our special give-away! A John Deer tractor and a bucket o' tools! Call now!" I swear that was exactly what the announcer said.

I looked at my future first husband and said, "Where the $@&# are you taking me???" But I was only 17 at the time. It immediately got better. I just thought it was really funny that the ad was literally the first thing I heard coming into the state.

And things like the govenor moving into a triple-wide on the mansion's lawn while it was being renovated (in 1999 or 2000 I think) don't help the jokes. But it's a great state and I wouldn't mind living there again.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:09 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,091,380 times
I spent a lot of time in Fayetteville and Hot Springs and loved it. The UA FAyetteville has one of the best genealogy collections in the four state area -- and the town is where the movie The Blue and Gray was shot.. It's a very historic town, but so is Hot Springs and Eureka Springs. Iyt sude if Little Rock, Fayetteville is probably the most upscale in the area; it reeks of old money. Old money begets old attitudes.

Arkansas is all about hunting, dogs, trucks, kids, country music, Baptist church twice a week, and fried chicken at the local restaurant on Sunday. Paint is the only real change I've seen in 25 years. I love it just exactly the way it is. It's Arkansas and its conservative. .

As to gdaddy, although I don't necessarily disagree with the post, I suspect gdaddy never spent much time in Grove, Okalhoma. It is unlike any other town in the four state corner.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:09 PM

13,714 posts, read 22,843,488 times
I have been to all fifty states - several times to most of them. I have been throughout Arkansas from Little Rock to Mena, Pine Bluff to Eureka Springs with a stay in Heber Spring and visits to Harrison and Batesville.

Arkansas gets a bad rap justifiably because of the 1957 Central High School incident, a stand-off that was played thousands of times in northern states on TV. It is much like all the various news stories from Alabama in the 1960's.

When you had similar incidents in 1970's in Flint and Detroit or in Roxbury outside of Boston, which were pretty similar incidents, the coverage was far more localized.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:37 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,970,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have been to all fifty states - several times to most of them. I have been throughout Arkansas from Little Rock to Mena, Pine Bluff to Eureka Springs with a stay in Heber Spring and visits to Harrison and Batesville.

Arkansas gets a bad rap justifiably because of the 1957 Central High School incident, a stand-off that was played thousands of times in northern states on TV. It is much like all the various news stories from Alabama in the 1960's.

When you had similar incidents in 1970's in Flint and Detroit or in Roxbury outside of Boston, which were pretty similar incidents, the coverage was far more localized.
So it's Yankees that are stuck in the past. Relating present day Arkansas to what happened 50 years ago. Sounds like it's them who need to get better educated and come into the 21st century. I think Arkansas has done a great job of modernizing what needed modernizing while hanging on to things/ways of the past that make it the unique place that it is. Things like Sunday sermons. Sunday chicken. Waving to the guy driving past you. Taking food to the sick and front porch pickin. If those are bad things then I'm real big sinner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or