U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 08:36 AM

69,541 posts, read 79,825,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I spent a lot of time in Fayetteville and Hot Springs and loved it. The UA FAyetteville has one of the best genealogy collections in the four state area -- and the town is where the movie The Blue and Gray was shot.. It's a very historic town, but so is Hot Springs and Eureka Springs. Iyt sude if Little Rock, Fayetteville is probably the most upscale in the area; it reeks of old money. Old money begets old attitudes.

Arkansas is all about hunting, dogs, trucks, kids, country music, Baptist church twice a week, and fried chicken at the local restaurant on Sunday. Paint is the only real change I've seen in 25 years. I love it just exactly the way it is. It's Arkansas and its conservative. .

As to gdaddy, although I don't necessarily disagree with the post, I suspect gdaddy never spent much time in Grove, Okalhoma. It is unlike any other town in the four state corner.
interesting your comment about Grove, when we decided to re-locate from the southwest it was a toss up between Grove and Bella Vista. Obviously BV won out..

and Capt Dan is right, we have the best of both worlds..
NIta

Old 02-04-2009, 10:55 PM

30 posts, read 80,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am sick of the Arkansas stereotypes as well. I have been asked many times when out of state if I wear shoes. In the General US forum, every thread that is negative about a city or state turns into a thread bashing "hillbilly Arkansas" and/or Little Rock. There are tons of rural areas in Arkansas where people live in trailers and have rusty cars in their yard, but thats rural areas in every state especially in the South, not just Arkansas. You don't see states like Texas and Georgia getting the same bad rap as Arkansas, yet their rural areas are very similar to rural Arkansas. Little Rock is also a nice city and the city as a whole doesn't fit the "Gang Wars Bangin in Little Rock" stereotype. There are parts that do, but every city has parts you want to avoid.
Woow there! I lived in GA for 13 years and never saw anything like abandoned furniture on the side of the road, trash and junk cars like I have here in north AR.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:29 AM

157 posts, read 448,409 times
Quote:
I spent a lot of time in Fayetteville and Hot Springs and loved it. The UA FAyetteville has one of the best genealogy collections in the four state area -- and the town is where the movie The Blue and Gray was shot.. It's a very historic town, but so is Hot Springs and Eureka Springs. Iyt sude if Little Rock, Fayetteville is probably the most upscale in the area; it reeks of old money. Old money begets old attitudes.

Arkansas is all about hunting, dogs, trucks, kids, country music, Baptist church twice a week, and fried chicken at the local restaurant on Sunday. Paint is the only real change I've seen in 25 years. I love it just exactly the way it is. It's Arkansas and its conservative. .
I disagree with some of your characterizations. Arkansas as a state is certainly conservative. But let's not forget, the cities you listed--Fayetteville, Little Rock, Eureka Springs, and Hot Springs--are it's most progressive cities. (1st 3 went Obama.) There a viable progressive communities in these cities. And that's no coincidence--this is part of what makes those cities exciting and different with vibrant cultures.

I only dabble in country music and only tangentially been in a Baptist Church, but I've never been hunting. I went to a high school where a high school where this was the norm.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:22 PM

6 posts, read 12,048 times
excuse me if someone already mentioned this, but look at the positive side of this - the stereotypes will keep Arkansas under the radar of people looking to move somewhere new; the only new people who move to the Ark will be those who have taken the time and effort to actually visit and talk to people to find out what it is really like. be ok with Ark being a secret hideaway

Old 11-04-2010, 01:31 PM

735 posts, read 1,057,527 times
Are you referring to the stereotype of beautiful topography with top notch business opportunity and a thriving economy with many of the nations largest companies based in Arkansas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desirefirst View Post
excuse me if someone already mentioned this, but look at the positive side of this - the stereotypes will keep Arkansas under the radar of people looking to move somewhere new; the only new people who move to the Ark will be those who have taken the time and effort to actually visit and talk to people to find out what it is really like. be ok with Ark being a secret hideaway

Old 11-04-2010, 01:38 PM

6,076 posts, read 10,761,092 times
Quote:

As to gdaddy, although I don't necessarily disagree with the post, I suspect gdaddy never spent much time in Grove, Oklahoma. It is unlike any other town in the four state corner.
Just jumping in here, but I've been to both Ark and Okla and love the people in both states. Sure they have their ways of doing things and some are set in their was, but that's what makes them special. For the most part if they have something to give and you can use it, they're more than happy to give it to ya.

Now you had me all the way up until you said something about the church bit. Nothing wrong with folks going to church, just as long as they don't hound me about going. I don't need some preacher telling me if I'm living right or wrong . Other than that, have as much fun going if you want.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Just jumping in here, but I've been to both Ark and Okla and love the people in both states. Sure they have their ways of doing things and some are set in their was, but that's what makes them special. For the most part if they have something to give and you can use it, they're more than happy to give it to ya.

Now you had me all the way up until you said something about the church bit. Nothing wrong with folks going to church, just as long as they don't hound me about going. I don't need some preacher telling me if I'm living right or wrong . Other than that, have as much fun going if you want.
and we have been here 21/2 years now, never did we feel NWA was Bible Belt. Yes, there are a lot of churches and yes, most people do attend one, but I don't think religion is in your face. We drink, we like to have a good time, some of us gamble and yes, most of us do go to church on Sundays, but get home in time to watch football.

Nita

Old 11-04-2010, 03:47 PM

757 posts, read 1,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Your probably better off having people think these things of your state or it might get over-run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desirefirst View Post
You guys both have it right. My state's been overrun and will be overrun again when the economy improves, fueling worse traffic, an even higher cost of living, more suburban sprawl, etc.

Maybe I'll move to AR, even if you people do hate hippies/liberals/environmentalists/anyone from the west coast/non-whites/non-religious people/people who don't love football/fire arms/off road vehicles/etc.

The COL might be so low as to be worth it.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:07 PM

6,076 posts, read 10,761,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and we have been here 21/2 years now, never did we feel NWA was Bible Belt. Yes, there are a lot of churches and yes, most people do attend one, but I don't think religion is in your face. We drink, we like to have a good time, some of us gamble and yes, most of us do go to church on Sundays, but get home in time to watch football.

Nita
Now I've heard the Ark has become the No.#2 light industry capital of the US, second to Omaha Neb. Is this true?

Old 11-04-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Now I've heard the Ark has become the No.#2 light industry capital of the US, second to Omaha Neb. Is this true?
I have no idea, I am sure someone else will jump in here, but I can tell you, we do have many small and mid sized businesses moving in or already here.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or