U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 10:41 AM

678 posts, read 1,448,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Guess that explains why there are so many dentists around here.

So much discussion on this thread. Maybe because no one wants to admit that the stereotypes are true. lol If you're not a hunter with deer blood on your face, you won't fit in in these parts.
Stereotypes will be fulfilled if you are looking for them, plain and simple. However, as someone pointed out earlier, you can find the groups of people we're being stereotyped for in any state. There was a more country/backwoods atmosphere from the parts of Iowa I lived in than anywhere I've lived in Arkansas (and there wasn't even much corn ), but that state isn't thought of as the same way. If I wanted to believe all Texans were self righteous pains in the ass, you'd be a perfect fulfillment of that stereotype too, but I know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I don't know anything or anyone from Arkansas, but there is a lot of a negative sterotypes associated with this state. I did have a friend drive through a few years back and told stories that fit the sterotype of Arkanasas.
Stories are no fun if they're not amazing or horrible. Your friend probably chose to tell what they thought would be funny. I used to absolutely hate Texas because the only part of it I'd seen was the panhandle and Amarillo. I interacted with some very rude people and thought it looked like a brown wasteland. Luckily, I didn't keep that opinion forever, because I've now traveled a lot more of the state and really like it. It's foolish, as I have learned, to form opinions about a state based on a short exposure to it by "driving through". I'm sure your friend must have seen a dozen moonshine stills and two misspelled street signs in their time here, right?

Old 11-08-2010, 10:41 AM

3,391 posts, read 5,861,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Lived here far longer than you. Fit in fine. Don't own a gun. Liberal politics.

The people who don't fit in are people who don't want to fit in. Who go around complaining because life isn't fair. Who put rudeness and hostility out there, and expect friendliness and civility in return.

Whenever I meet someone who's not friendly, I try a little harder. Smile a bit more, make a gentle joke or two. People come round. No matter where they live.
Wonderful post! Very well stated.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
if i wanted to believe all texans were self righteous pains in the ass, you'd be a perfect fulfillment of that stereotype too, but i know better.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:53 AM

69,510 posts, read 79,748,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Lived here far longer than you. Fit in fine. Don't own a gun. Liberal politics.

The people who don't fit in are people who don't want to fit in. Who go around complaining because life isn't fair. Who put rudeness and hostility out there, and expect friendliness and civility in return.

You don't have to hunt to live in Arkansas. You don't have to like country music. You don't have to root for the Razorbacks.

Arkansas is not urban. It has no urban centers. Little Rock is as close as you'll get to a big city, and it's not a big city. Northwest Arkansas has grown exponentially over the past three decades, and there are no big cities there. If you are accustomed or want the shopping venues of NYC, Chicago, LA or even Dallas, you won't find them here. If you're looking for a jacket or a pair of shoes, there are enough stores here to give you some choices. Just not as many in large urban areas. If you want to go out to eat someplace nice, there are options here, too. Even restaurants with gourmet chefs. But there won't be as many options as in large urban areas. Entertainment is plentiful. There is always something going on. There aren't as many big headliner concerts in Arkansas because there aren't as many people living here. Bottom line, a music star is going to perform where they have the best chance of selling-out the venue, and that means large population centers. But we get some great bands, some awesome performers, some fabulous shows nonetheless.

Arkansas is just like the rest of the country. There are brilliant people who live here, gifted writers, talented musicians, genius geeks. Just like anywhere else. And there are a troublemakers and racists and just plain unhappy people who live here, too. But most people are just average folks, just like the rest of the country, who work hard, who look forward to the weekends, who have favorite shows on TV, who have library cards, who want their kids to do well in school and to go on and have better lives. They worry about their bills, they probably spend too much on Christmas, they wish they could win the lottery, they go on vacation to ski in Colorado or to bask on sunny beaches. They eat the same foods as everyone else. I've never eaten squirrel, but I don't knock people who do, because I've tried lefsa. I've said no to blood sausage in Vermont. I once tried chocolate covered ants at a gourmet tasting in Minneapolis. Crunchy. I've tasted rattlesnake, but it was sold at a butcher, wrapped in celophane on a plastic foam tray. And it tasted a lot like chicken, only chewier. Octopus is too chewy, could barely swallow it.

Whenever I meet someone who's not friendly, I try a little harder. Smile a bit more, make a gentle joke or two. People come round. No matter where they live.
Yes you do have to be a Razorback fan!!!!

Nita

Old 11-08-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Yes you do have to be a Razorback fan!!!!

Nita
LOL! Nita, when I visited family in Bella Vista in September, I was shocked at how much Razorback merchandise was available. We shopped a newer Walmart in Rogers, and they had aisles and aisles of Hog stuff. Amazing! Waaaaay more team merchandise than I'm used to seeing in Phoenix. So, I have to ask...how 'bout them Hawgs?

Old 11-08-2010, 11:49 AM

39,088 posts, read 23,221,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggietable View Post
Hot springs, little rock and a few places like eureka springs are ok, but Harrison the kkk capitol of the south west are sick. I just saw a new documentary that did a bit on Harrison and its grand wizard and the compound in Harrison. There are some here who try to down play it but its there and the sun down laws are still there to some extent. Most of the people in the rural areas are racist red neck low information people who wear ignorance as a badge of honor.
A new documentary???????

Old 11-08-2010, 12:04 PM

837 posts, read 1,941,446 times
excellent post, DC.

edit: well, I missed a whole page of posts. I'm talking about #250.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:07 PM

511 posts, read 637,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
Stereotypes will be fulfilled if you are looking for them, plain and simple. However, as someone pointed out earlier, you can find the groups of people we're being stereotyped for in any state. There was a more country/backwoods atmosphere from the parts of Iowa I lived in than anywhere I've lived in Arkansas (and there wasn't even much corn ), but that state isn't thought of as the same way. If I wanted to believe all Texans were self righteous pains in the ass, you'd be a perfect fulfillment of that stereotype too, but I know better.

The kicker is I moved here with the feeling that Arkansans were nice good country folk. My perceptions came from my visits to Eureka Springs, and meeting the pleasant locals there.

But even my very first trip to LR brought a slap of negativity. For Halloween fun, I had painted my fingernails black and just decided to let it wear off naturally. I arrived to check into my hotel, and was taken aback when the service desk clerk had the gall to ask me,

"Hey, let me ask ya something, why do you paint your fingernails like that?"

To me, such a question is incredibly rude and arrogant. A person in customer service is here basically stating that they think a mode of decoration is weird, and they want to know why. I can't imagine such a question would fly easily in liberal places like CA. At the very least, a person with some decent CS skills should know not to ask personal questions that make the customer feel uncomfortable.

Stereotypes or not, I have merely reported my frequent negative experiences, nothing manufactured. Want another example? On Saturday, the internet guy was scheduled to come out. They never showed. I suspect it was another outage in the area, and I didn't even get a courtesy phone call. Just another headache living in wonderful AR.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:18 PM

39,088 posts, read 23,221,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
The kicker is I moved here with the feeling that Arkansans were nice good country folk. My perceptions came from my visits to Eureka Springs, and meeting the pleasant locals there.

But even my very first trip to LR brought a slap of negativity. For Halloween fun, I had painted my fingernails black and just decided to let it wear off naturally. I arrived to check into my hotel, and was taken aback when the service desk clerk had the gall to ask me,

"Hey, let me ask ya something, why do you paint your fingernails like that?"

To me, such a question is incredibly rude and arrogant. A person in customer service is here basically stating that they think a mode of decoration is weird, and they want to know why. I can't imagine such a question would fly easily in liberal places like CA. At the very least, a person with some decent CS skills should know not to ask personal questions that make the customer feel uncomfortable.

Stereotypes or not, I have merely reported my frequent negative experiences, nothing manufactured. Want another example? On Saturday, the internet guy was scheduled to come out. They never showed. I suspect it was another outage in the area, and I didn't even get a courtesy phone call. Just another headache living in wonderful AR.
I don't think the question was rude or arrogant. They were curious, they didn't intimate any judgment except that black fingernails are unusual. I'm sure the question would have been taken as a simple question in many other locales. I think it's odd that you take offense so easily.

As for utility servicemen not making an appointment. Welcome to the real world. It's not an ARKANSAS thing. People all over the country have problems with utility and other service workers not keeping appointments, and failing to call to let people know.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:18 PM

69,510 posts, read 79,748,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggietable View Post
Hot springs, little rock and a few places like eureka springs are ok, but Harrison the kkk capitol of the south west are sick. I just saw a new documentary that did a bit on Harrison and its grand wizard and the compound in Harrison. There are some here who try to down play it but its there and the sun down laws are still there to some extent. Most of the people in the rural areas are racist red neck low information people who wear ignorance as a badge of honor.
I think you need to pay attention to when these documentaries are filmed? I don't think this is recent and I totally disagree with you on your overall view of AR. Obvioulsy you know absolutely nothing about NWA. Are you saying Fayetteville is a bunch of ignorannt and do you feel the same about those who work for some of the major coorporations in AR? There is more to AR than the small rural areas. And there is more to AR than Hot Springs, Little Rock and Eureka Springs.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or