U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 03:41 PM

3,391 posts, read 5,853,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Why are you even posting on a AR forum?
Because I have "connections."

Old 11-08-2010, 03:55 PM

678 posts, read 1,446,674 times
Quote:
First, for someone who calls himself the wizard, you sure don't know how to use paragraphs very well.

Secondly, everything I've posted is 100% factual experiences that happened to me. I don't post positive experiences because there really are none. If I wrote to say that my experience living here has been wonderful, I would be lying.

If I were nothing but a negative complainer, I would have griped about my experiences in places like Tyler, TX. Yet, I never felt so mistreated to compell me to write letters of complaint to businesses, or have some jackwagon put a note on my car telling me to learn to park as I did here.

I have been clear that I believe it is a Benton\Bryant attitude, and people are a bit more friendly in LR, and NWA is a world of difference.

Thirdly, if you don't like my posts, don't read them.
1- Apologies. It is difficult to tell if I've added a line of space between paragraphs when typing on my phone.

2- I don't believe that. I can't recall why you moved to the area, but if you are that unhappy, I don't see why you would want to stay. I can't imagine there are no positive experiences, I have several positive interactions here on a given day and the occasional negative one. That said, it seems more likely you simply don't notice the positive experiences, since you are clearly focused on pointing out only the negatives.

Not posting negative things about Tyler proves nothing. Many people on these forums are disgruntled and post negative comments simply because they didn't want to move somewhere and that heavily influences their view of the area. I've only traveled through Tyler so I don't have a strong opinion about it, it may be a very nice place, but you have certainly had negative experiences there too. Bad service and rude people exist everywhere. For example, I found the driving atmosphere in many parts of Texas to be much more hostile than in Central AR, but that doesn't mean I think all Texas drivers are jerks. I've never had a note or left a note on a car, but I've been tempted before when a park job was especially bad and prevented me from being able to park someplace. If you parked badly, someone informing you of it isn't uncalled for, in my opinion.

As for the Benton/Bryant "attitude... You referenced Central Arkansas in general when you made the statement that people were "rude and uncaring". You have not been "clear" in describing this attitude problem when you generalize it across an entire region of the state, and your posts show that.

3- Your posts are somewhat prolific and often negative. It is hard not to read them, but more importantly, I find most of your posts to be detrimental to the threads as a whole. It's one thing to say you had a bad experience somewhere, it's another to come into a thread and make the kinds of generalizations you do. I simply don't think your negativity should go unchecked. That is all.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:20 PM

678 posts, read 1,446,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Not all that old, it just appeared in the latest issue of "The Week". The web news article I referenced was dated Oct. 29, 2010.
And his community and people from communities all over AR came to protest. It shows the average resident here doesn't consider that kind of hate speech acceptable. I think the very positive reaction far outweighs the negative actions of one idiot.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:02 PM

69,422 posts, read 79,656,989 times
Quote:
I worn the black fingernails around Texas, and not one person made a comment about it. Yes, it is unusual in Texas, but people are more considerate and don't question a person's choice of dress or decoration. It wasn't any of his business, and I certainly shouldn't have to justify my choices.

It was my first experience of the attitude here. People just blurt out whatever they want with no consideration to other people's feelings.
hey, explain your comment: you now say you wore them aroung in Texas but your first posting said you did the nails in AR just for Halloween. So which is it, you wear them a lot or you did it just for Halloween? As for questioning a person's dress, people do it all the time. In fact someone recently griped about a T shirt they wore in a restaurant in Austin that the waitress questioned.

Nita

Old 11-08-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Gross sarcasm = rudeness in my book. Not doing very well proving me wrong. The difference with AR is the level of service is consistently bad.
I guess we have been lucky, we have found most services in AR better than some places we have lived.

Nita

Old 11-08-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
First, for someone who calls himself the wizard, you sure don't know how to use paragraphs very well.

Secondly, everything I've posted is 100% factual experiences that happened to me. I don't post positive experiences because there really are none. If I wrote to say that my experience living here has been wonderful, I would be lying.

If I were nothing but a negative complainer, I would have griped about my experiences in places like Tyler, TX. Yet, I never felt so mistreated to compell me to write letters of complaint to businesses, or have some jackwagon put a note on my car telling me to learn to park as I did here.

I have been clear that I believe it is a Benton\Bryant attitude, and people are a bit more friendly in LR, and NWA is a world of difference.

Thirdly, if you don't like my posts, don't read them.
you do realize he is a medical student don't you? Or I guess you didn't know that.

May I also add, remarks about grammer, spelling or any similar posting is against the rules of this and all forums. I am wondering though what word is compell? I have never seen it before I don't think.
Nita

Old 11-08-2010, 05:07 PM

17,641 posts, read 21,829,175 times
My brother is formerly from Long Island NY and has lived happily in Little rock for the past several years.
He loves it, and has found the people to be friendly and well educated.
He has no complaints about anything and really enjoys the relatively mild weather.
My brother is an artist and is in a rock band and he dresses in a way that might cause heads to turn anyplace but in Greenwich Village or Hollywood CA. He has experienced no negativity from others in Little Rock.
He thinks Arkansans are very open minded in general, and he is encoulraging us to relocate there when our kids are out of HS!

Old 11-08-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Looks like Arkansas has some educational attainment issues as well.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/c2kbr-24.pdf

Arkansas is the second lowest state in population with a bachelors degree 16.7%
and fifth lowest state in population with a high school or better degree 75.3%

Texas where I live has similarly low numbers 75.7% and 23.2% and it is an embarrassment to the state.

Even Puerto Rico has a higher college educated population with 18.3%, but a lower population with high school or better at 60%.

Fortunately for Arkansas that is changing, as it was one of the states that had the highest rate of increase in educational attainment in the last 10 years.
WE can all use statistics but they do not tell the entire story. No one would deny AR is very low on the educational scale and this comes from beign a rural state. Rural states are not known for the number of college graduates, but there are many regions of the state that do have college educated people. I would add, having an education does't make you better or mean a heck of alot. And I will add to that, I am a college graduate from a family of educated people going back to my grandmother, who, at the turn of the last century had a college education.

Nita

Old 11-08-2010, 05:14 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,321,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
I don't like stereotypes, but are not the original "Bitter Clingers" from Ohio?
Hahaha!!!

And that'd be 'Klinger,' Earthbound.

*wonders why all these people who have never been to Arkansas (not necessarily referring to you, Earthbound) keep posting in this thread*

Old 11-08-2010, 06:15 PM

735 posts, read 1,055,455 times
I find it intriguing that East Texas Dave wears fingernail polish. It's not what I pictured from the many entertaining posts usually having to do with some employee at a Pizza Hut or Walmart not being friendly to txdave (not that there is anything wrong with men wearing fingernail polish.)

Quote:
I worn the black fingernails around Texas, and not one person made a comment about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or