U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 06:19 PM

2,185 posts, read 3,908,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
love it; reminds me of a time (right after we moved to NM) I was geting my hair cut in the Dallas area where we had lived before. The young lady who cut my hair asked me where I lived, I told her NM, she said she envied me cause of all the awesome beaches..I don't think I ever saw a beach along the Rio Grande.

Of course I explained to her that NM wasn't anywhere near Cancun and Cozumel nor was it part of Mexico. She preceeded to ask me when that happened?

Now that sure doesn't fit the dumb Texan sterotype does it.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:31 PM

735 posts, read 1,056,687 times
I've always noticed New Mexico tags always have "New Mexico USA" written out. I think a lot of clueless police officers around the US would assume New Mexico has nothing to do with the United States.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:39 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,556,904 times
Wow, this is such an old thread, and it's thrived to 30 pages! That's impressive! As a rule I don't post to threads longer than 6 pages (the contents tend to fizzle out by then) but kudos to the OP for generating so much interest.

I think the whole south is pretty much stereoptyped and that's really too bad. Because, although I've never been to Arkansas, I'm sure it's as good a place as anywhere else. Yes, there are cultural differences from one region of the US to the other, along with climate differences as well as political and historical differences. How BORING it would be if all states and its people were exactly the same!

And we have choices. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and certainly don't hold the attitude that it's "better" than Arkansas. In fact, I envision Arkansas, and the south over-all, as having their own reedeming qualities that can't be found elsewhere else. I don't have "red-neck phobia" so prevalent in these forums, nor do I think the populace mostly sits around their front porches with goose guns and bearing toothless grins.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:56 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,571,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
love it; reminds me of a time (right after we moved to NM) I was geting my hair cut in the Dallas area where we had lived before. The young lady who cut my hair asked me where I lived, I told her NM, she said she envied me cause of all the awesome beaches..I don't think I ever saw a beach along the Rio Grande.

Of course I explained to her that NM wasn't anywhere near Cancun and Cozumel nor was it part of Mexico. She preceeded to ask me when that happened?

Nita
Ok, that is hilarious!

I love New Mexico by the way. Deming, Albuquerque, Gallup, and Santa Fe are absolutely wonderful.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:06 PM

837 posts, read 1,941,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
I find it intriguing that East Texas Dave wears fingernail polish. It's not what I pictured from the many entertaining posts usually having to do with some employee at a Pizza Hut or Walmart not being friendly to txdave (not that there is anything wrong with men wearing fingernail polish.)
right? I'm seein' a whole new side of txdave!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:19 PM

69,511 posts, read 79,748,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Now that sure doesn't fit the dumb Texan sterotype does it.
One example by a very young and obviously not terribly educated young lady. This isn't typical of much of the Dallas area. Certainly not in the particualr area this happened in. The area is upper middle class, mostly Blue ribbon schools and certainly filled with kids that go on to top universities. Yes, those kids do exist in Texas whether you think so or not.

Nita

Old 11-08-2010, 08:42 PM

123 posts, read 355,397 times
Negative stereotypes are generally bad but they do serve a good purpose. What if Arkansas was truly believed to be the land of milk and honey by everyone around the USA(And Mexico, Africa, Europe..etc). There would be way more people moving there overpopulating the place. At least the negative stereotypes keep the hoards of people out. I live in Nebraska and the negative stereotypes we have keep the place from being taken over by foreigners. Not that it's bad that people move to other states, but you want your own state to have it's own identity. I like Arkansas the way it is, and I am planning on moving there in 2 weeks.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:26 PM

9 posts, read 33,811 times
I love the people of all the south and Arkansas as well......from a NewYorker

Old 11-08-2010, 11:30 PM

604 posts, read 639,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
Am a the only one tired of us Arkansans getting a really bad rap??

The more I travel the more I grow tired of people associating Arkansas with hillbillies.When I was a military wife and I moved to the West Coast as well as the Northeast I was actually asked if I knew how to read?! I have gone to college!

I continue to get asked how I felt about growing up on a farm. I grew up in Fayetteville for the most part! Although Northwest Arkansas is full of natural beauty- nowadays we are filled with more and more educated people.I think outsiders assume we have never been exposed to culture of any kind. This is not the case.

No offense to those of you who grew up on farms, as I know there are many rural areas here.BUT WHAT DOES IT TAKE FOR ARKANSAS TO BE SEEN AS SOMETHING OTHER THAN SOME BACKWOODS, RED HEADED STEPCHILD???? Do you think this can be chalked up to lack of other knowledge of this state or what?

Many of us are more civilized than we are given credit for and have seen much of the world, yet everywhere we go we are seen as simple hicks-what gives??! Sorry, but had to vent.

I'm in Missouri. We think you guys are completely country-dwellers..

Maybe its because there arent very many heavily populated/well known places down there?

I wish stereotypes didn't exist, and we could all just let everything go, turn the other cheek etc..

But then the world might be perfect... and no mega corporation would want that

Old 11-08-2010, 11:42 PM

678 posts, read 1,448,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sage1 View Post
Negative stereotypes are generally bad but they do serve a good purpose. What if Arkansas was truly believed to be the land of milk and honey by everyone around the USA(And Mexico, Africa, Europe..etc). There would be way more people moving there overpopulating the place. At least the negative stereotypes keep the hoards of people out. I live in Nebraska and the negative stereotypes we have keep the place from being taken over by foreigners. Not that it's bad that people move to other states, but you want your own state to have it's own identity. I like Arkansas the way it is, and I am planning on moving there in 2 weeks.
This is also a valid point. A broad, (albeit inaccurate) stereotype does help ensure that people relocating to an area actually do their research about where they are going to live and that they'll be happy there. Arkansas/Nebraska/etc. would probably like to avoid the problems that have happened with states like California, or places like NYC, which often grew due to a very positive mental image that may have overridden more logical concerns like cost of living or employment opportunities in the minds of the people moving there, who now like to whine about the cost of living and employment opportunities. I absolutely agree that it's important to really know where you're going to be living.

(Incidentally, I'm from Iowa originally, so I understand how you feel about the Nebraska stereotypes, haha. We don't all drive big John Deere tractors to Wal-Mart or spend our lives in a corn field!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
I'm in Missouri. We think you guys are completely country-dwellers..

Maybe its because there arent very many heavily populated/well known places down there?

I wish stereotypes didn't exist, and we could all just let everything go, turn the other cheek etc..

But then the world might be perfect... and no mega corporation would want that
I have never understood this, but have encountered this mindset from friend in Missouri several times. Aside from St. Louis and Kansas City, Missouri is extremely similar to Arkansas in a lot of ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or