U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 08:21 AM

69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam530 View Post
Ignorance feeds stereotyping. People who think all people that are from a certain state, a certain town are the same, simply have not traveled extensively and base their opinions on something as foolish as TV shows.
How very true.

Nita

Old 11-16-2010, 10:43 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,360,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
Besides, it could be worse, people might think you were from Mississippi
or Alabama or somewhere else in the south.
BWAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!

I cut my pig-shootin' teeth in Georgia in a place that would make rural Mississippi look like the Vegas strip, long before Gore invented the internet (!).

Some of the best food I've eaten was in Alabama, and some of the best fishing in Mississippi.

It's beautiful country, them's good people, and the inference that someone might look my way and think, "What's the matter with you? You from Alabama or sumpthin'?"

Well......

That just tickles my hillbilly bone.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:30 PM

678 posts, read 1,445,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
BWAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!

I cut my pig-shootin' teeth in Georgia in a place that would make rural Mississippi look like the Vegas strip, long before Gore invented the internet (!).

Some of the best food I've eaten was in Alabama, and some of the best fishing in Mississippi.

It's beautiful country, them's good people, and the inference that someone might look my way and think, "What's the matter with you? You from Alabama or sumpthin'?"

Well......

That just tickles my hillbilly bone.
I don't understand the vast majority of your colloquialisms, but I think I agree with you in saying that making assumptions about a person based off their origin (or vice versa) is foolish. (Although I do have to put in the mandatory biased plug for fishing in the Twin Lakes area in north central Arkansas .)

Old 11-16-2010, 03:37 PM

66 posts, read 123,315 times
People think everyone would TN is a Beverly Hillbilly or a thug if you are from Memphis.

I just simply ignore such simple minded people. Sadly they are the ones with the small minds.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:47 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,318,986 times
Quote:
Ignorance feeds stereotyping. People who think all people that are from a certain state, a certain town are the same, simply have not traveled extensively and base their opinions on something as foolish as TV shows.
+1

Old 11-16-2010, 08:42 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,354,649 times
Quote:
And I think the worst of them are Californians who live in the state that produced most of those shows, if not all of them. And that's stereotyping from a former Californian who lived there.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:54 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,360,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
colloquialisms
That there's a $5 word, Wiz.

Can I still tell people I know ya?

Exactly, don't judge a book by it's cover, or what shelf it came off of.

To infer that someone is lacking in any capacity because they came from "Alabama or Mississippi", and that we should be feeling better being in Arkansas because we could be in one of those states is ludicrous.

So, we should assume everyone from Ohio, or Michigan, or where ever, are all Nobel prize winners waiting in the wings?

I've been to Detroit, I might have to debate that.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:32 PM

678 posts, read 1,445,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
That there's a $5 word, Wiz.

Can I still tell people I know ya?

Exactly, don't judge a book by it's cover, or what shelf it came off of.

To infer that someone is lacking in any capacity because they came from "Alabama or Mississippi", and that we should be feeling better being in Arkansas because we could be in one of those states is ludicrous.

So, we should assume everyone from Ohio, or Michigan, or where ever, are all Nobel prize winners waiting in the wings?

I've been to Detroit, I might have to debate that.
Haha, thanks, and you certainly can (for what little that'd be worth!).

Agree on all counts.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:29 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,242,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
Am a the only one tired of us Arkansans getting a really bad rap??
It doesn't help when the state elects someone like Loy Mauch to the House - people all over the country have been making fun of this guy, and the people who voted for him.

The South shall rise again | Arkansas Reporter | Arkansas news, politics, opinion, restaurants, music, movies and art

Old 11-20-2010, 07:38 AM

6,354 posts, read 10,333,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
Am a the only one tired of us Arkansans getting a really bad rap??

The more I travel the more I grow tired of people associating Arkansas with hillbillies.When I was a military wife and I moved to the West Coast as well as the Northeast I was actually asked if I knew how to read?! I have gone to college!

I continue to get asked how I felt about growing up on a farm. I grew up in Fayetteville for the most part! Although Northwest Arkansas is full of natural beauty- nowadays we are filled with more and more educated people.I think outsiders assume we have never been exposed to culture of any kind. This is not the case.

No offense to those of you who grew up on farms, as I know there are many rural areas here.BUT WHAT DOES IT TAKE FOR ARKANSAS TO BE SEEN AS SOMETHING OTHER THAN SOME BACKWOODS, RED HEADED STEPCHILD???? Do you think this can be chalked up to lack of other knowledge of this state or what?

Many of us are more civilized than we are given credit for and have seen much of the world, yet everywhere we go we are seen as simple hicks-what gives??! Sorry, but had to vent.
I realize this topic was started in 08 but I see it's still going strong. Has anyone here ever driven from Memphis on I 40 to Little Rock. The first time I did this I thought I had landed in a foreign country. And not one I'd want to be in. I haven't been there in some time but has the state done anything to make improvements here? The shacks, run down businesses and just overall ugly blight was tough to see. Now when I reached Little Rock I turn south and everywhere here is just beautiful. But the area between Memphis and LR has been left behind big time. Or at least it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or