Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 02:02 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
I was up in Benton county a while back and I asked the girl at the gas station why they didn't have any beer. She spit some tobacco into a cup and was all like "dry county".

The other day I was at a wine store in Fort Smith and I got a free sample. The woman asked what I thought and I suggested maybe if she refrigerated it a little. She said no if you cool it to much you'll get nothing but tannin and bite. I was polite about it but I thought " I still ain't buyin any, tastes like %##@.
Yes alcohol is terrible thing, but that chewing tobacco...good stuff.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:24 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,238,039 times
I'm well aware that things can be worse in places like Honduras. But we're talking about Arkansas and its negative stereotypes. The section of I 40 from Little Rock to Memphis certainly doesn't help matters at all. I find it hard to believe the state/federal governments can allow an interstate to deteriorate as I 40 has. Not to speak of the area itself. As someone else said. The longest stretch of ugly road around. And I've driven a good portion of the US.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:28 AM

697 posts, read 1,774,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I'm well aware that things can be worse in places like Honduras. But we're talking about Arkansas and its negative stereotypes. The section of I 40 from Little Rock to Memphis certainly doesn't help matters at all. I find it hard to believe the state/federal governments can allow an interstate to deteriorate as I 40 has. Not to speak of the area itself. As someone else said. The longest stretch of ugly road around. And I've driven a good portion of the US.
Interstates are always behind in repair and capacity unless you're in a rapidly growing area where they just laid down new ones, it seems. 40 isn't NEAR as bad through that stretch as it is through New Mexico and Arizona. I'm not even joking when I say the potholes are so bad (in an interstate!) that you can't safely drive a car in the right side lane for quite a long stretch. I'd think it'd be hard on trucks too. That stretch isn't fantastic, but 40 all the way though Arkansas is in pretty good shape overall, and Oklahoma is finally fixing their stretches that were pretty bad (much worse than the stretch your talking about), so the I-40 corridor is gradually getting attention.

It's definitely not the longest stretch of ugly road around, I can find a few more for you if that's the kind of thing you want to go explore , but it's a poor area, nothing more. I don't know what you'd really expect it to look like.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:38 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
A suggestion to anyone that is getting ready to drive I40 from Memphis to Little Rock as I did this past weekend-----------Stop and pee in West Memphis before heading west! I40 will absolutely jar your kidneys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-22-2010, 08:28 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,861,555 times
Wow. I always thought the only people who voluntarily lived in Arkansas were in the Federal Witness Relocation Program.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:19 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Wow. I always thought the only people who voluntarily lived in Arkansas were in the Federal Witness Relocation Program.
Did your mother have any children that arent special ed?

Old 11-22-2010, 02:38 PM

697 posts, read 1,774,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
That's not for you to know.

But seriously, we moved here by choice and unless a job takes me elsewhere, I'm happy with it and have no compelling desire to leave. Great place to live, other places are nice to visit from time to time, but home still feels like home (and considering how frequently I've moved lately, that's saying something).

Old 11-25-2010, 08:22 AM

45 posts, read 98,588 times
I think the stereotyping is an advantage.
Everytime I mention moving to Ark, I get the "With the hillbillies and people with missing teeth"?
Do you "want" those shallow heads moving next to you?
I'd rather they keep their attitude and leave more room in Ark for me.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wconell View Post
I think the stereotyping is an advantage.
Everytime I mention moving to Ark, I get the "With the hillbillies and people with missing teeth"?
Do you "want" those shallow heads moving next to you?
I'd rather they keep their attitude and leave more room in Ark for me.
you know we saw a heck of a lot more people in NM with missing teeth than we see here. I always hear the same thing, but AR isn't what people think it is.

Nita

Old 11-25-2010, 05:53 PM

45 posts, read 98,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you know we saw a heck of a lot more people in NM with missing teeth than we see here. I always hear the same thing, but AR isn't what people think it is.

Nita

*I have heard; Folks in NM have a rep for drinking and fighting- perhaps that's where the teeth go. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas