U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 08:24 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,224,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wconell View Post
*I have heard; Folks in NM have a rep for drinking and fighting- perhaps that's where the teeth go. LOL.
Generally I think it's best to get your opponent drunk, then you won't be the one losing teeth.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:03 AM

69,353 posts, read 79,526,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wconell View Post
*I have heard; Folks in NM have a rep for drinking and fighting- perhaps that's where the teeth go. LOL.
and having 10 plus DUIs. The fighting I am not sure, the drinking you betcha!!
Nobody enjoys their wine more than me and I couldn't in my best day keep up with a lot of them...

Nita

Old 11-28-2010, 06:37 PM

45 posts, read 82,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and having 10 plus DUIs. The fighting I am not sure, the drinking you betcha!!
Nobody enjoys their wine more than me and I couldn't in my best day keep up with a lot of them...

Nita

I used to drink years ago.
I could drink anyone under the table.
I could put away 3/4ths or better of a liter of whiskey and still walk home and do chores and have beers. Never had DUI's or DWI's or any trouble. People tell me they couldn't even tell I was drunk.

The good Lord took drinking away from me and I'm a reborn man. I took a swallow of a beer a few weeks back (yes one swallow) and I got a buzz.
Hate that buzz feeling- I like to have all my faculties.

Maybe the fightin part was made up by me. lol.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:09 PM

6,662 posts, read 25,357,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
Am a the only one tired of us Arkansans getting a really bad rap??

The more I travel the more I grow tired of people associating Arkansas with hillbillies.When I was a military wife and I moved to the West Coast as well as the Northeast I was actually asked if I knew how to read?! I have gone to college!

I continue to get asked how I felt about growing up on a farm. I grew up in Fayetteville for the most part! Although Northwest Arkansas is full of natural beauty- nowadays we are filled with more and more educated people.I think outsiders assume we have never been exposed to culture of any kind. This is not the case.

No offense to those of you who grew up on farms, as I know there are many rural areas here.BUT WHAT DOES IT TAKE FOR ARKANSAS TO BE SEEN AS SOMETHING OTHER THAN SOME BACKWOODS, RED HEADED STEPCHILD???? Do you think this can be chalked up to lack of other knowledge of this state or what?

Many of us are more civilized than we are given credit for and have seen much of the world, yet everywhere we go we are seen as simple hicks-what gives??! Sorry, but had to vent.
I thought my post was best to respond to the first post.

All states are represented by the citizens, but also by the people who leave the state. Maybe even more by the people who leave.

My father was born in Lepanto, north east corner near Tennessee border. He grew up in a share croppers shack, 6 kids and mom and pop in a one room shack. I got to see the shack when I visited back in 1970 and 1975. The family were cotton pickers. Grandpa had a reputation for nice clean cotton and sold for top prices.

My father can be nice, but is not. He used to pick up hookers daily slept with his sister and cousins, gave my mother several STD's. The man is crude and vulgar. He got the crap beat out of him at a recent forth of July in his new town for leering at a 14 year old girl. He has been caught as a peeping Tom by neighbors.

Now, my father moved from Arkansas in the mid 1950's but he represents Arkansas regardless. Sad, but all states have people representing them like this.
I like Arkansas, I love the Ozarks - very beautiful country.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:14 PM

4 posts, read 4,075 times
Well, I'm an Arkie and proud of it.
After I finished nursing school, we moved to California for awhile.
I was in my early 20's at the time, shy, inexperienced and was in my first job as a nurse...so I was very insecure.
Well, while in a break room one day, two guys were in there, if I remember correctly they were doctors and one was telling the other of his experiences while in Arkansas.
He made the comment that "all" the females were barefooted, dirty and pregnant.
I was just floored. I didn't know what to think or do. I just excused myself and left the room.
I knew I had personally never seen anything like all the women fitting his description of the females in Arkansas.
I know that Arkansas is a poor state and we have problems. But you know what????
So does every other state in this country.
I do alot of google surfing as I know it's impossible for me to visit every state in this USA,
but I'm telling you that some of the neighborhoods I've accidentally landed in on Google Earth.....those neighborhoods look just about like some I know are here.....and poor neighborhoods and shacks for houses......that means the people in them are poor and they are struggling to survive....just like some in Arkansas.
The point I'm trying to make is that there are poor people everywhere. Arkansas does not have a monopoly on poor uneducated people. They are everywhere. If not right next door to you, probably the next street over.

I love Arkansas and had much rather be here than in California.
The ones talking down on Arkansas.....they need to look around them and they will probably find some of the same just a short distance away.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:23 AM

12,439 posts, read 9,957,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton1953 View Post
Well, I'm an Arkie and proud of it.
After I finished nursing school, we moved to California for awhile.
I was in my early 20's at the time, shy, inexperienced and was in my first job as a nurse...so I was very insecure.
Well, while in a break room one day, two guys were in there, if I remember correctly they were doctors and one was telling the other of his experiences while in Arkansas.
He made the comment that "all" the females were barefooted, dirty and pregnant.
I was just floored. I didn't know what to think or do. I just excused myself and left the room.
I knew I had personally never seen anything like all the women fitting his description of the females in Arkansas.
I know that Arkansas is a poor state and we have problems. But you know what????
So does every other state in this country.
I do alot of google surfing as I know it's impossible for me to visit every state in this USA,
but I'm telling you that some of the neighborhoods I've accidentally landed in on Google Earth.....those neighborhoods look just about like some I know are here.....and poor neighborhoods and shacks for houses......that means the people in them are poor and they are struggling to survive....just like some in Arkansas.
The point I'm trying to make is that there are poor people everywhere. Arkansas does not have a monopoly on poor uneducated people. They are everywhere. If not right next door to you, probably the next street over.

I love Arkansas and had much rather be here than in California.
The ones talking down on Arkansas.....they need to look around them and they will probably find some of the same just a short distance away.
Certainly no monopoly on poor, uneducated people; however, Arkansas is one of the poorest states in the country. Per Capita salaries are some of the lowest. SO there is some truth to that stereotype.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:20 AM

138 posts, read 183,535 times
I have heard the people of Arkansas referred to as "backwards." I choose to disagree with that vehemently. Colorful? Yes. Down to earth? Yes. Poor in the monetary sense? Yes. Alot are poor. But I know and am friends with alot of those "poor" people. They grow fantastic gardens. They know more tricks to keep tractors and pickups running than most mechanics.They know which herbs can be used for both food and medicine. They are some of the most skilled outdoorsmen in the country. Are they backwards because they choose to live in a double or single wide mobile home? Or are they smart for not having a 30 year mortgage? Are they backwards because of those old cars parked in the yard? Or are they smart for having spare parts and scrap metal to sell when times are tough? Are they backwards for living on hills? In hollers? On lakes and streams? Or are they smart for choosing to breath clean air and be self sufficient? Smart? Backwards? Depends on how you look at it doesnt it? Thank you.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:27 AM

69,353 posts, read 79,526,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Certainly no monopoly on poor, uneducated people; however, Arkansas is one of the poorest states in the country. Per Capita salaries are some of the lowest. SO there is some truth to that stereotype.
Statistically this is true and really sad, but remember, stats do not tell an entire story. There are many rural areas of AR that are very poor. Because we are a rural state we do not have the larger cities (overall) to bring the average up a little. That being the case, therre are areas of AR that have a very high per capita income.

Nita

Old 12-02-2010, 08:56 AM

12,439 posts, read 9,957,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Statistically this is true and really sad, but remember, stats do not tell an entire story. There are many rural areas of AR that are very poor. Because we are a rural state we do not have the larger cities (overall) to bring the average up a little. That being the case, therre are areas of AR that have a very high per capita income.

Nita
I have not seen that. I know it varies from Little Rock to the smaller towns, but I have not seen any of them with a very high per capita income...relative to the national average.

Which cities are you referring to in Arkansas?

Old 12-02-2010, 12:35 PM

678 posts, read 1,445,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I have not seen that. I know it varies from Little Rock to the smaller towns, but I have not seen any of them with a very high per capita income...relative to the national average.

Which cities are you referring to in Arkansas?
Poverty is scattered around the state but it is most prevalent in the rural areas. As far as "relative to the national average", I don't really worry about that since the national average includes places with NYC where $60,000 a year won't get you a halfway decent place to live. The population distribution in this country has a lot of people in those expensive urban areas where it takes a high 5 to low 6 figure family income just to feel middle class, which isn't the case in most of the midwest and south. So yes, salaries will be lower than the national average in most places, and there's a reason for that.

I believe Maumelle, at around $71,000 a year, is the highest overall average family income in the state. But remember you have to take average incomes with a grain of salt. Sure, there are neighborhoods in Little Rock or NWA where the average household income is mid six figures and there are neighborhoods where it's probably below $30,000, but the quality of life that money provides here is more important that how much the actual dollar amount is- a simple fact that seems to escape and shock people when they look at relocating here from a very expensive area.

A $50,000 income in Arkansas, even in Little Rock or NWA, allows you to live far better than a $50,000 income in most areas near cities in California, New York, Florida, pretty much anything in the Northeast really, and Chicago, to name a few. You can't complain about a lower than average per-capita income when you also have a lower than average cost of living, because it balances out to a degree. Per capita incomes in NWA and Little Rock aren't as high as some other areas of that size around the country, but it's much cheaper to live there, so people keep moving there and taking jobs at those salaries. That's how the job marketplace works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or