U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:29 PM

13,541 posts, read 29,505,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_shannon View Post
When I first moved to Mississippi to begin graduate school, a waiter that was checking my ID couldn't resist cracking some jokes about me being from Arkansas. He had the nerve to get all up in my personal space, and with a shocked look on his face said, "you have all of your teeth; you can't be from Arkansas!" I told him to get over himself--he's from Mississippi and there's not a huge difference. I don't get it. The states are right next to each other. Our own neighbors think we're some 3rd world country.
Are you sure he wasn't joking? I can share the humor with fellow southerners, but if a "yankee" says it, them thar's fightin words!

Old 03-02-2008, 12:32 PM

3,161 posts, read 3,715,614 times
hey

any of you guys got a good possum recipe you can share ??

:-)

born in texas, raised in el dorado, back in Texas, I get the same jokes yaw do

Old 03-02-2008, 12:35 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,618,145 times
Quote:
When I first moved to Mississippi to begin graduate school, a waiter that was checking my ID couldn't resist cracking some jokes about me being from Arkansas. He had the nerve to get all up in my personal space, and with a shocked look on his face said, "you have all of your teeth; you can't be from Arkansas!" I told him to get over himself--he's from Mississippi and there's not a huge difference. I don't get it. The states are right next to each other. Our own neighbors think we're some 3rd world country.
I get this kind of treatment when in Texas also. While a lot of people in the General US forums here at city-data look down on people who aren't from one of the true urban cities like New York, Chicago, or San Francisco, its a shame how much average people in neighboring states look down on Arkansas and its people. People treat Arkansas like its some third world country. How did the state become synonymous with hillbillies anyways?

Old 03-02-2008, 12:41 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,063,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
hey

any of you guys got a good possum recipe you can share ??

:-)

born in texas, raised in el dorado, back in Texas, I get the same jokes yaw do
How funny. I am not ashamed of my roots, the reality is my Grandmother was born and raised in Texas. WAY back when she picked cotton and was poor and no doubt ate Possum a time or two. I know my Fathers family ate squirrel during the Great Depression.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:51 PM

5,371 posts, read 10,144,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
Am a the only one tired of us Arkansans getting a really bad rap??

The more I travel the more I grow tired of people associating Arkansas with hillbillies.When I was a military wife and I moved to the West Coast as well as the Northeast I was actually asked if I knew how to read?! I have gone to college!

I continue to get asked how I felt about growing up on a farm. I grew up in Fayetteville for the most part! Although Northwest Arkansas is full of natural beauty- nowadays we are filled with more and more educated people.I think outsiders assume we have never been exposed to culture of any kind. This is not the case.

No offense to those of you who grew up on farms, as I know there are many rural areas here.BUT WHAT DOES IT TAKE FOR ARKANSAS TO BE SEEN AS SOMETHING OTHER THAN SOME BACKWOODS, RED HEADED STEPCHILD???? Do you think this can be chalked up to lack of other knowledge of this state or what?

Many of us are more civilized than we are given credit for and have seen much of the world, yet everywhere we go we are seen as simple hicks-what gives??! Sorry, but had to vent.
If you really want to be the butt of many jokes move to New Jersey- These are just from Jay Leno- Rude, obnoxious, polluted all over, thieves, toxic wasteland and so on. I live in an area that has clean water, trees, nice people and no crooks that I'm aware of. So it kinda stinks in a way. I just get used to it. When you tell people your from Jersey the woman clutch their pocketbooks tighter, men check for their wallets and so on. I guess TV steroetypes alot of people they watch the Sopranos and think everyone in New Jersey is like in the mafia. I really hope people don't think this way about different areas of the country but unfortunately I think they do.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:02 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,361,248 times
Wow, You folks should take pride in your great state. It's stunningly beautiful, with some very nice people in it. Some of those comments your getting are jealousy and some are ignorance, some may be poorly worded jokes is all..
But after visiting Arkansas a few times, this California native thinks you all have it right.... You want to see some messed up stuff come out here for a visit. Razor Wire around street signs, that's California, how utterly rediculous is that?
Arkansas and Missouri have it all as far as I'm concerned..

Old 03-02-2008, 01:08 PM

16 posts, read 96,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Are you sure he wasn't joking? I can share the humor with fellow southerners, but if a "yankee" says it, them thar's fightin words!
No, he wasn't joking because I really ticked him off when I implied that Mississippi was very similar. That wasn't the only time I have had a Mississippian say something ridiculous about Arkansas. It actually happens quite often, but that was probably the most obnoxious since he was my waiter and he wasn't working too hard for good tip from this Arkie.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:16 PM

3,161 posts, read 3,715,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
How funny. I am not ashamed of my roots, the reality is my Grandmother was born and raised in Texas. WAY back when she picked cotton and was poor and no doubt ate Possum a time or two. I know my Fathers family ate squirrel during the Great Depression.

honey,
I STILL eat squirrel
as a matter of fact, I go back to arkansas the opener of squirrel season ever year to hunt with my Dad.... a family tradition...

Old 03-02-2008, 09:17 PM

564 posts, read 2,066,089 times
Quote:
No, he wasn't joking because I really ticked him off when I implied that Mississippi was very similar. That wasn't the only time I have had a Mississippian say something ridiculous about Arkansas. It actually happens quite often, but that was probably the most obnoxious since he was my waiter and he wasn't working too hard for good tip from this Arkie.
I'm from Brookhaven, Mississippi, and there are just as many goobers there as there are here in Arkansas. For some reason Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina and Kentucky get more of a "banjo pickin', bare footed, no teeth" kind of stereotype. Mississippi usually gets the "everyone's a Klan member" stereotype.

Every state in this country has some sort of stupid stereotype. I've lived in a lot of places, so I know very well. People are going to talk about you no matter what you do or where you go. I've learned to just smile and go to bed knowing that I know exactly who I am and no-one could make me believe that I'm a stereotype by their rude comments.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:44 PM

456 posts, read 1,426,923 times
i think its the hills that give that impression. flatlands seem to get off the hook somehow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or