U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:52 PM
DRD

37 posts, read 112,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
Am a the only one tired of us Arkansans getting a really bad rap??

The more I travel the more I grow tired of people associating Arkansas with hillbillies.When I was a military wife and I moved to the West Coast as well as the Northeast I was actually asked if I knew how to read?! I have gone to college!

I continue to get asked how I felt about growing up on a farm. I grew up in Fayetteville for the most part! Although Northwest Arkansas is full of natural beauty- nowadays we are filled with more and more educated people.I think outsiders assume we have never been exposed to culture of any kind. This is not the case.

No offense to those of you who grew up on farms, as I know there are many rural areas here.BUT WHAT DOES IT TAKE FOR ARKANSAS TO BE SEEN AS SOMETHING OTHER THAN SOME BACKWOODS, RED HEADED STEPCHILD???? Do you think this can be chalked up to lack of other knowledge of this state or what?

Many of us are more civilized than we are given credit for and have seen much of the world, yet everywhere we go we are seen as simple hicks-what gives??! Sorry, but had to vent.

I couldn't agree more with you on this subject.

Although I'm not from Arkansas, I have been to several different areas of the state and I didn't find a single hillbilly!:-)

I wasn't real thrilled with Hot Springs but Little Rock had some of the biggest churches I have ever seen, and clean as a whip. The residents of Little Rock have a lot to be proud of.

The next stop was from up in your neck of the woods, just a little east of Fayettsville in Eureka Springs. My wife and I thought we had died and went to heaven and after only two weeks in town had actually started to look for a house to rent.

Unfortunately, we had family issue arise back home and our plans were derailed.

As an ex truck driver from Canada, I had heard all the horror stories of traveling in Arkansas from being ticketed by troopers for just being out of state to making sure you fueled up before you left Arkansas.

I found the people I dealt with in Arkansas were as educated and professional as anyone I had met from any other state I've visited, and in the case of Eureka Springs and area even more so.

Now I'm not going to tell anyone this as I'm hoping to go back there some day and hope the experience will be as memorable as the first time.

My advice to you is act like a hick, as they would expect you to, and keep those low IQ individuals out of that beautiful part of the country as I'm sure this has been working for years already!

Old 03-03-2008, 06:21 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,896,672 times
many people form other states form their opinion on other states by where that state is ranked as far as education goes.

I have read many times northeners, when trying to push a levy through to raise property taxes even higher to fund education, use the phrase------" do we want to end up being another Arkansas,Alabama, or Mississippi ?"

Old 03-03-2008, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,655 times
I'm with you. I live in Napa, CA and visit Arkansas once a year since I have family there. I love it in Arkansas and am planning a big move there in a couple of years when I retire. Northern California, in fact all of California, has outpriced itself for me and I can afford to buy a house and set up a business in Arkansas.

As far as stupid hillbillies? Not even. Most of the people in Arkansas that I have met are very intelligent, well spoken and well read. Ok, they go to church. You don't have to if you don't want to. And, remember, the most intelligent president we have ever had was the governor of Arkansas for several years.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:34 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,806,286 times
Well as long as yer not marryin' yer kinfolk I guess it's ok.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Old 03-03-2008, 05:54 PM

338 posts, read 1,191,509 times
Arrow Arkansas Hillbillies... from a Native-Arkansan

Well... it wouldn't be the first time I will have lost a long post by clicking the wrong button, and I'm certain it won't be the last! Argh!

I just wrote a rather lengthy response to those "really sick of Arkansas stereotyping" from the perspective of a Native- & former- Arkansan who is not offended by such stereotyping. However... that will have to wait until I either decide to re-construct what I can remember from what I lost, or for it simply to be lost in the archives of the twilight zone of all things lost unintended. Ha.

Okay... bc I lost it while added a few links, at least I can go back and insert *those* for anyone who might find them as interesting reading:

Hillbilly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dogpatch USA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Silver Dollar City theme park and attractions - Branson Missouri
Welcome to the Official Li'l Abner web site
"The Beverly Hillbillies" (1962)

Enjoy!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:01 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,026,539 times
LOL@slack jawed, thats hysterical.

I have seen people like that in many states though, more then a few here in Florida.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:24 PM

11,836 posts, read 24,964,372 times
I'm going to be visiting Little Rock in April. I've only heard good things about Arkansas. Y'all seem to have a great business climate, beautiful lakes, lots to see & do & friendly folks. I guess that before a state is knocked it should be experienced. That's my take anyways. Y'all have a nice evening!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:29 PM

338 posts, read 1,191,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I'm going to be visiting Little Rock in April. I've only heard good things about Arkansas. Y'all seem to have a great business climate, beautiful lakes, lots to see & do & friendly folks. I guess that before a state is knocked it should be experienced. That's my take anyways. Y'all have a nice evening!
Whatcha doin' Owl? Followin' me around C-D? Lol. Jk.

Are you another perpetual traveler? Wish I hadn't lost my post for it. You might have liked it. It had *lots* of personal info within it's borders! Lol. Have a great night!

(And say "Hey" to your wife for me, will ya'?) Btw, is she on CD, too?

Old 03-03-2008, 09:41 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,597,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Hope you like Little Rock, its much better than its reputation. Be sure to check out the Clinton library and if you like night life, check out the River Market district. For scenic beauty, there is plenty of lakes nearby and it might be worth the drive to visit Hot Springs, about an hour to the southwest of Little Rock. Are you visiting for business reasons or just for vacation?

Quote:
many people form other states form their opinion on other states by where that state is ranked as far as education goes.

I have read many times northeners, when trying to push a levy through to raise property taxes even higher to fund education, use the phrase------" do we want to end up being another Arkansas,Alabama, or Mississippi ?"
Everybody still assumes Arkansas has the worst schools in the country but that has changed. Ark ranked 32nd overall last I checked. Arkansas even had 2 high schools make the top 100 in the nation. I believe much of the Delta area and certain areas in the River Valley drag the state down.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:58 PM

11,836 posts, read 24,964,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Hope you like Little Rock, its much better than its reputation. Be sure to check out the Clinton library and if you like night life, check out the River Market district. For scenic beauty, there is plenty of lakes nearby and it might be worth the drive to visit Hot Springs, about an hour to the southwest of Little Rock. Are you visiting for business reasons or just for vacation?
Actually a Corvette board that I belong to is having its yearly gathering in Little Rock this year & since my wife & I have managed to miss every gathering so far we felt it was only fair to come down & see AR. I think we'll have a fine time & thanks for the recommendations. There's a local LR Corvette club that's having a show in mid April & with folks coming in from all over the country I'm hoping that we'll have a great time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or