U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:15 PM

730 posts, read 1,971,186 times

Advertisements

Well, Thank you people for having something nice to say about Arkansas! How refreshing.

I do agree there are many states that have those infamous stereotypes. I guess I'm still shocked when outsiders just state these out loud and just laugh hysterically like I have never heard these things before. I just can't imagine blurting out something like "OH, you're from Texas- yall must save alot of gas money ridin those horses to work" I would be the one feeling like an idot.

I do wonder- what is the official term for a Yankee redneck?? Anyone?

Personally I wish people would not play up the countrified hick image to make money around here- I'd like to move beyond this.

I think I am probably a freakish Arkansan- I've never eaten o'possum or squirrels and I don't shop at Wal-mart. It's not that I'm too good or "anti-walmart" its that by the time I walk through the place I have spent more on stuff I don't need than I have saved!!I just want in and out. I also fear that other businesses will not come to our area if they feel they can't compete.This is not an insult to those of you who do.I am glad wal-mart exsists.

I also notice we are the same in so many ways no matter where we are from. When my children say "yall" or "aint" I'm like "hey now, is that proper English"!? Recently I have heard a mother from Brooklyn say "you will not talk with that Brooklyn slang, I taught you better".

A couple of things I strongly agree with...
Jersey Man- You are right- Your state gets SO MUCH crap! I would say even more than ours. I have been there a couple times and I thought the little towns were quaint and charming and have learned not to associate the state only with organized crime. Although the Sopranos was one of the greatest shows in history. (IMO)

And I agree about the speed traps in Arkansas- Yikes.

I can say I am so proud of our improvements in education.

I also hope that the stereotypes of all states fade as people become transient, so that we will basically HAVE to visit a state to form any opinion of it.

Last edited by NOEM1226; 03-03-2008 at 10:26 PM..

Old 03-04-2008, 02:42 AM

8 posts, read 23,504 times
I have to tell you that ever since I started telling people I was going to be moving to Arkansas the lack of knowledge people have of the state has amazed me. The common impression that I am getting from people is that Arkansas is full of tootless rednecks that couldn't spell their names without using the patch on their short as a reference. I am really getting frustrated trying to explain to people that they have no idea what they are talking about and that they need to pull their heads out of their @ss and do some research. I can't say it is a new thing, after all I grew up in Utah so automatically everyone assumes that I am a Mormon or that my dad has multiple wives. It stuns me that in the age of computers and with the access to information we have that so many people can be so clueless about the real world.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:55 AM

16 posts, read 58,405 times
I dated a man from Arkansas several years ago. I'm from Missouri and actually fell in love with the state while spending time there. I've never met such nice people anywhere and what a beautiful place!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:09 AM

292 posts, read 1,135,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustT&Me View Post
Whatcha doin' Owl? Followin' me around C-D? Lol. Jk.

Are you another perpetual traveler? Wish I hadn't lost my post for it. You might have liked it. It had *lots* of personal info within it's borders! Lol. Have a great night!

(And say "Hey" to your wife for me, will ya'?) Btw, is she on CD, too?
I hope you get the time to redo the post you lost....I LOVE reading personal info about Arkansas. Locals know all the good stuff. I'll be waiting.......

Old 03-04-2008, 08:17 AM

5,612 posts, read 13,246,288 times
Everytime I tell someone I'm moving to Arkansas, people look at me as though I've lost my mind and ask me, "Why?" I can't wait to get out of L.A.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:02 AM

456 posts, read 1,426,488 times
Its an interesting state, I'll give it that. As far as many different types of scenery etc, its extremely diverse...just a little too southern for me

Old 03-04-2008, 09:09 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,974,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
Well, Thank you people for having something nice to say about Arkansas! How refreshing.

I do agree there are many states that have those infamous stereotypes. I guess I'm still shocked when outsiders just state these out loud and just laugh hysterically like I have never heard these things before. I just can't imagine blurting out something like "OH, you're from Texas- yall must save alot of gas money ridin those horses to work" I would be the one feeling like an idot.

I do wonder- what is the official term for a Yankee redneck?? Anyone?

Personally I wish people would not play up the countrified hick image to make money around here- I'd like to move beyond this.

I think I am probably a freakish Arkansan- I've never eaten o'possum or squirrels and I don't shop at Wal-mart. It's not that I'm too good or "anti-walmart" its that by the time I walk through the place I have spent more on stuff I don't need than I have saved!!I just want in and out. I also fear that other businesses will not come to our area if they feel they can't compete.This is not an insult to those of you who do.I am glad wal-mart exsists.

I also notice we are the same in so many ways no matter where we are from. When my children say "yall" or "aint" I'm like "hey now, is that proper English"!? Recently I have heard a mother from Brooklyn say "you will not talk with that Brooklyn slang, I taught you better".

A couple of things I strongly agree with...
Jersey Man- You are right- Your state gets SO MUCH crap! I would say even more than ours. I have been there a couple times and I thought the little towns were quaint and charming and have learned not to associate the state only with organized crime. Although the Sopranos was one of the greatest shows in history. (IMO)

And I agree about the speed traps in Arkansas- Yikes.

I can say I am so proud of our improvements in education.

I also hope that the stereotypes of all states fade as people become transient, so that we will basically HAVE to visit a state to form any opinion of it.
The official name for a Yankee redneck is---TED NUGENT!!!

Old 03-04-2008, 09:31 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,858,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
The official name for a Yankee redneck is---TED NUGENT!!!
LOL, I don't know...IMO I have a hard time calling anyone from the midwest a yankee. That term is particularly reserved in my mind for someone from north of the Mason-Dixon and east of Indiana.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:17 PM

338 posts, read 1,192,515 times
Thumbs up Personal Stuff & AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvarkansas View Post
I hope you get the time to redo the post you lost....I LOVE reading personal info about Arkansas. Locals know all the good stuff. I'll be waiting.......
Thank you, but I think that one was meant to be "lost"... some things are simply meant to be lived in the moment. But have you ever heard of the Foxfire books? They weren't specifically AR but Appalachian, I believe.

Let me see if I can find a link for you...

Foxfire books - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -

Once you read the Wiki entry, if it's of any interest to you, then maybe you might try clicking one of their other links. A lot of folksy "stuff" there!

Enjoy!

Old 03-04-2008, 02:26 PM

338 posts, read 1,192,515 times
Thumbs up Re: Arkansas People

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Well Arkansas people aren't the only ones stereotyped. Since I'm from California everyone expects me to be a vegetarian, act like I'm better than everybody or rub elbows with celebs and party all the time. The complete opposite is true.
Hey... from a past Arkansas person to a new one ingoing - Congratulations! I don't know if they'd still *do*, but when I was there..., they'd called 'em Arkansans.

Have a safe voyage and a great time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or