U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 07:23 PM

61 posts, read 173,509 times

Advertisements

I am so happy to be able to vent about this... I LOVE Arkansas. Everywhere i go I am so Proud to say thats where Im from. Growing up in Texarkana Ive lived in Both AR and TX but Always claimed AR. It was always funny traveling with my mother (mama) and having people ask us where we were from. She would always say Texas and I would say Arkansas. Can you imagine mother and daughter claiming two different places!!! Im sure that confused a couple. But that is exactly how WE Arkansans have to change others opinion of our great State. Be proud that your from Arkansas, be proud of that Southern accent (i promise most are jealous of) and talk it up. Show them the type of people that are actually come from AR. Im so tired of Arkansas being thought of as our Nations armpit. And if your not enough remind people that Alltel, Tyson, Walmart, Heifer International, just to name a few, ALL set up shop in Arkansas. 4 + major corporations have to be onto something there!!! When all else fails just smile and say see yall later cause we do NOT want our great lil secret getting out. And curse the guy from Chips for selling Arkansas to the West Coast!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 07:28 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,643,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRY_ANGEL_HORSE View Post
I am so happy to be able to vent about this... I LOVE Arkansas. Everywhere i go I am so Proud to say thats where Im from. Growing up in Texarkana Ive lived in Both AR and TX but Always claimed AR. It was always funny traveling with my mother (mama) and having people ask us where we were from. She would always say Texas and I would say Arkansas. Can you imagine mother and daughter claiming two different places!!! Im sure that confused a couple. But that is exactly how WE Arkansans have to change others opinion of our great State. Be proud that your from Arkansas, be proud of that Southern accent (i promise most are jealous of) and talk it up. Show them the type of people that are actually come from AR. Im so tired of Arkansas being thought of as our Nations armpit. And if your not enough remind people that Alltel, Tyson, Walmart, Heifer International, just to name a few, ALL set up shop in Arkansas. 4 + major corporations have to be onto something there!!! When all else fails just smile and say see yall later cause we do NOT want our great lil secret getting out. And curse the guy from Chips for selling Arkansas to the West Coast!!!
You forgot Dillard's, Axciom, Windstream, ABF, and JB Hunt. In addition, there are many national corporations with significant presence in Little Rock and NWA.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:32 PM

9,605 posts, read 23,151,383 times
Just T,
Of course Southern Baptists are nice! But that's what people are expecting in Arkansas, that's the stereotype, of ignorant ,overall clad, barefoot Southern Baptists with straw comin out of their mouths. but even Southern Baptists are a diverse lot..There's even some liberal democrat Southern Baptists.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:09 PM

338 posts, read 1,194,569 times
Wink S.B.s and other nice Arkansans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Just T,
Of course Southern Baptists are nice! But that's what people are expecting in Arkansas, that's the stereotype, of ignorant ,overall clad, barefoot Southern Baptists with straw comin out of their mouths. but even Southern Baptists are a diverse lot..There's even some liberal democrat Southern Baptists.
Yes, Ira. I was joking w/you. (The same as w/Moth & hope it was taken that way about the pig manure.) Needed to joke a bit w/some friendly folks. I found out was a "troll" was today - mercy! I'd rather meet a Southern Baptist anyday than to try to have a conversation with a troll. Yes - S.B.s are nice. Very nice ppl - along w/ others from AR. I get down there at least once/year for about a week - sometimes twice. Depends on what's going on down there. In fact, I found out this week I'll be going through sometime probably in late Oct. and then again early May. The colors there are fabulous in fall! Really - both of those times of the year are great! I'm looking forward to it.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:13 PM

338 posts, read 1,194,569 times
Question Nat'l Corps in NWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
You forgot Dillard's, Axciom, Windstream, ABF, and JB Hunt. In addition, there are many national corporations with significant presence in Little Rock and NWA.
Great feedback, Chris! What are some of the other nat'l corps w/significant presence in NWA?

Old 03-05-2008, 10:08 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,643,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustT&Me View Post
Great feedback, Chris! What are some of the other nat'l corps w/significant presence in NWA?
Well, Wal-Mart has required all its vendors to locate an office in NWA. That is what has fueled all the growth.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:20 PM

531 posts, read 1,555,508 times
I think if you're from any eastern state with mountains people on the coasts in large urban areas think "hillbilly" "redneck". I've heard more hillbilly jokes (growing up in West Virginia) than I could count--not to mention the movie "Wrong Turn" which encourages the stereotype!

Old 03-06-2008, 07:23 AM

8,262 posts, read 16,000,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Just T,
Like me!!! Liberal Southern Baptist

Old 03-06-2008, 07:26 AM

8 posts, read 39,207 times
Why are red headed stepchildren considered a bad thing?

Old 03-06-2008, 07:29 AM

8 posts, read 39,207 times
Also, people think that just because they are owned by the medical profession (Jonesboro people always boasting of the latest medical facility), it makes them big time. Phewy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or