Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 12:16 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by condorito View Post
Hillbillies in Arkansas! No way, that is an illusion fueled by hatred. Hmm, lets see, I remember being in Berryville and their city parks had actual shooting ranges. Interesting concept half city park/half shooting range. Let's see, I went to Harrison, and that turns out to be a KKK stronghold., hillbillies, NO WAY! What else? Eureka Springs has a statue of Jesus. I remember driving through a small town called Alpena and there were a group of hicks standing around their big truck all in camouflage suits thinking they were the hottest **** in town. As you can see, all the stereotypes are false and propagated by people that HATE Arkansas. No truth at all to these statements!
Do us a favor and please never come to the south again.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:48 PM

292 posts, read 1,307,880 times
Quote:
Hillbillies in Arkansas! Eureka Springs has a statue of Jesus.
I fail to see how a statue of Jesus makes them hillbillies. You sound a bit "intolerant" to me....and I figure it's possible that you're one of those people who would call Christians "intolerant", and tell them that they should accept everyone for what they are.

I like hillbillies anyway.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:48 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times
Quote:
Hillbillies in Arkansas! No way, that is an illusion fueled by hatred. Hmm, lets see, I remember being in Berryville and their city parks had actual shooting ranges. Interesting concept half city park/half shooting range. Let's see, I went to Harrison, and that turns out to be a KKK stronghold., hillbillies, NO WAY! What else? Eureka Springs has a statue of Jesus. I remember driving through a small town called Alpena and there were a group of hicks standing around their big truck all in camouflage suits thinking they were the hottest **** in town. As you can see, all the stereotypes are false and propagated by people that HATE Arkansas. No truth at all to these statements!
All stereotypes have some truth to them but people genreally characterize all of Arkansas based on how things are in some places in the state. Northern Arkansas is typically the most "hillbilly" part of the state. Its where Dogpatch USA was. The tourism in the area plays on the hillbilly stereotype to attract people. Harrison is a backwards, racist town that I avoid like its the plague.

Eureka Springs is a charming town and it surprises me you call it hillbilly based on a statue of Jesus. Just so you know, Eureka Springs also has the largest gay population in the state. They are the only place in the state with legal domestic partnerships.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:20 PM

338 posts, read 1,368,600 times
Thumbs up Wow! Hillbillies & Hatred.

Wow! What a lively discussion! I had to go back and Condorito's post to see the origin of all the fuss!

IMO CR's post could be read from two perspectives: written with a quite sarcastic voice (while an icon might have assisted to clarify), or as a defense against stereotypes. But the fact that CR did post a number of stereotypical examples (bw, the KKK is alive & well in the Midwest), emphasized the word "hate" by capitalizing it (hate is such a strong word - are you saying you hate Arkansans, the ppl? Or simply the state and some of the ways of the ppl there?) ... it would seem that CR intended their post as their own personal opinion as opposed to speaking against those who might believe so, and the examples having provided the reasons why. IMO although it seemed pretty clear, I'd rather CR confirm if what CR posted, was their own judgment of Arkansans before I would ... make a similar judgment in reverse.

On that note, I applaud luvarkansas, Southernnaturelover, & Sam I Am for their friendlier, less emphatically spoken defenses of a place they love & the ppl who make that place what it is. I spent a number of yrs in AR & of all the places I have lived (many) & traveled, I found Arkansans to be among the friendliest, most welcoming ppl I know - Hillbillies or not! Yes - like in any other place, the collective values by which Arkansans live will not be as valued by other ppl, & it's great that we live in a country where we can still choose where we want to live. CR's post notes that CR had "been in" Berryville, "went to" Harrison, and had "driven through" Alpena. I cannot read CRs profile from here, but the post did not state how long they actually lived in AR, if ever, or the basis on which s/he founded his/her values.

Generally, when ppl are personally malcontent, they are more prone to judging others & the world around them negatively. In that case, it is good that CR at least has been through AR to determine it is not the place s/he wants to be instead of simply making a decision on a stereotype itself. So "hate" it or not, CR, I'm glad for you that you are making tracks to a place where you believe you will enjoy what that place has to offer in terms of ppl and the values they live. Safe travels to you & make you find every happiness!

Just a note: Some women do get hot seeing & thinking about men in camouflage driving trucks - bringing home the "bacon" so they can "fry it up in the pan!" If that is something you do not like, be aware that you will find men in camouflage in the Midwest, too! Decked in camouflage, flaming orange caps & blazers, driving their trucks, and beer-in-hand to boot! So don't let *that* sway you... or you'll have to move out West, or to TX or OK where all you'll find are Cowboys! (Lucky for me - I like both!) I think it's great that there are still some men out there that think they are *hot stuff studs* as compared to men who have chosen to live more complacently (and somewhat wimpily IMO), complaining about not knowing how to act anymore with women having come to a point where women can provide for and defend themselves, if needed. (And I'm not saying their stating a confusion makes them wimpy but the choice of their actions reflecting such.)

And a final note re: the Passion Play - thank you Sam I Am... for anyone reading this post, if you have never seen it, I would highly encourage you to do so. It is a very family-oriented event, so children are welcome! Bring some blankets if you go later in the fall - it can get a little chilly by the time they finish the play. It is a fantastic portrayal of the last few days of the life of Christ, and whether one is a Christian or not, perhaps they would assign some value to the dramatical aspects of this outdoor extravaganza, camels and all (or at least when I was there - there were camels), the sets & scenes, so well-performed by such dedicated actors and actresses, ... right there in the middle of the foothills of the Ozarks. (And it sure beats the expense of traveling to Germany to see the same which is only performed once every ten years.)

The Great Passion Play. Purchase Official Passion Play Tickets Here!

Oberammergau - Passion Play

Peace ~

Old 03-09-2008, 03:23 PM

439 posts, read 1,256,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvarkansas View Post
I fail to see how a statue of Jesus makes them hillbillies. You sound a bit "intolerant" to me....and I figure it's possible that you're one of those people who would call Christians "intolerant", and tell them that they should accept everyone for what they are.

I like hillbillies anyway.

I personally feel you should accept everyone for who they are. Are you saying I won't be accepted if I don't go to church and claim I am a christian? I believe in God, but not organized religion. If that is the case then I too won't be moving there.

Debbie.....

Old 03-09-2008, 03:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
FYI my only concept of arkansas is positive.
Kilgore 1 act drama festival.
outstanding flea marts.
near or on the way to Branson.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:34 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
I personally feel you should accept everyone for who they are. Are you saying I won't be accepted if I don't go to church and claim I am a christian? I believe in God, but not organized religion. If that is the case then I too won't be moving there.

Debbie.....
This depends on where you go in Arkansas. Many of the smaller rural towns are far less tolerant than larger ones. This is because the small-town social community usually revolves around a fundamentalist country church. In other words, if you aren't a fundamentalist Christian, stick to the larger towns and you wont have to worry. That is a general fact of life in the rural Bible Belt.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:51 PM

452 posts, read 1,639,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This depends on where you go in Arkansas. Many of the smaller rural towns are far less tolerant than larger ones. This is because the small-town social community usually revolves around a fundamentalist country church. In other words, if you aren't a fundamentalist Christian, stick to the larger towns and you wont have to worry. That is a general fact of life in the rural Bible Belt.

this is true. Arkansas didnt just get its stereotype by accident. There is a real reason for it

Old 03-09-2008, 06:09 PM

439 posts, read 1,256,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofAR View Post
this is true. Arkansas didnt just get its stereotype by accident. There is a real reason for it

If we move there it would be Fayetteville area

Old 03-09-2008, 06:21 PM

338 posts, read 1,368,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofAR View Post
I wish I had not lost my previous post attempting to insert links. Yes, there are definite reasons for the Arkansan Hillbilly stereotype, and most Arkansans I know do not mind the term itself but view it as a term of endearment.

IMO what ppl mind moreso are the attitudes & spiteful speech that spirals harsh or cruel judgments at Arkansans, in general. Ppl with those kinds of attitudes will generally be able to harshly criticize something or someone in about any place they will go or travel. Generally, unless one is truly at-peace within himself and his own life, he finds it a difficult stretch to interact with & live at-peace in appreciation of others, esp. with those who are different from themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas