Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 04:05 PM

97 posts, read 172,670 times

Advertisements

I have been on this forum for a bit of time...I am considering a move to arkansas and will be visiting end of this month...i am considering several cities however, I am leaning more towards hot springs/little rock/conway area because I prefer warmer weather. and less snow, and because for me being centrally located will be very helpful)...everything I read makes it seem like the only place one should move in the state is in the NW..makes me kinda worried to move anywhere else.

If anyone can shed light on this I'd really appreciate it..thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 04:10 PM

97 posts, read 172,670 times
sorry i meant...more central arkansas..

Old 02-03-2017, 04:43 PM

530 posts, read 820,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromnewmexicotounknown View Post
sorry i meant...more central arkansas..
Southern Arkansas gets the bad rap - and eastern. Central Arkansas is viewed pretty favorably, just not as favorably as NWA. Really, the only rap on central Arkansas is a reputation for high crime in Little Rock and Hot Springs. Other cities like Conway, Benton, and Cabot don't have that kind of reputation

Old 02-03-2017, 05:11 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,487,028 times
How does Van Buren - Ft. Smith come out on the crime charts, I wonder?

Old 02-04-2017, 04:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromnewmexicotounknown View Post
I have been on this forum for a bit of time...I am considering a move to arkansas and will be visiting end of this month...i am considering several cities however, I am leaning more towards hot springs/little rock/conway area because I prefer warmer weather. and less snow, and because for me being centrally located will be very helpful)...everything I read makes it seem like the only place one should move in the state is in the NW..makes me kinda worried to move anywhere else.

If anyone can shed light on this I'd really appreciate it..thank you.
Oh heavens, there is nothing at all wrong with the region you are considering. Conway is very nice, as is Hot Springs and HSV. there are lots of wonderful areas in Little Rock. I think you must be reading only the negatives for some reason. Yes, there are more positives about the NW part of AR but that doesn't mean the southern part is not worth considering. The part of the state most would want to think twice about living in is the Delta: the eastern and south eastern part of the state. Even then there are areas that some really enjoy. BTW, I do remember your posts from last year. I thought you were more interested in Hot Springs than anyplace at that time.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:14 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,861,175 times
Southern Arkansas has always been looked down on from those in The Rock or NWA. Just how it is. Mostly farming, timber, very rural areas. Some of the best most down to Earth hardest working folks you'll ever meet. Great fishing, hunting. Now heat, humidity and bugs...that's the nightmare there. Due to lack of jobs, people are leaving.

Look at Monticello, a nice small college town. Even El Dorado isn't bad.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:36 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,281,440 times
Southern Arkansas gets a bad rap because the people there have often been there for generations and there isn't a lot of room for newcomers. The professions that are more white collar are going to someone who was born there, grew up there and is going to continue to stay there. Many of the jobs there are lower paying or more manual labor type. The companies tend to be the less environmentally friendly types which tend to be thought of as 'dirtier' and less desirable. A lot of industry has left and gone overseas which doesn't provide as much reason for the next generation to live and stay there.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,853 times
I moved to Hot Springs in 2015 and love it.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janbeach View Post
I moved to Hot Springs in 2015 and love it.
Glad you like living in Hot Springs. There are a lot of places in AR that are good places to live, especially if raising a family. I did notice the OP has not returned. I guess she decided AR wasn't for them. I wonder why?
Her last post indicated she decided Fayetteville would be a good place, certainly that isn't south or mid states. Anyway, she seems to have moved on.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:39 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,348,700 times
"Now heat, humidity and bugs...that's the nightmare there."....While working in So AR in the early 80's, I rented a place outside of McGehee....the owners had a bug-zapper in the yard with a wash tub under it. Each morning there was over an inch of dead mosquitos in the bottom of that washtub. To say there are a lot of bugs in So AR is an understatement.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas