U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 11:06 AM

1,156 posts, read 618,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Arkansas is already one of the most taxed states in America and we have pathetic little to show for it. We have a high poverty rate so any new taxes is just going to make it more difficult to get ahead. And then on top of that, asking us to be accountants and keep track and records of every penny bought online is just ridiculous. Only in Arkansas. If I am charged sales tax when I make the purchase and then asked to pay sales tax again on the same purchase when I file my taxes, then that is flat out double taxation and wrong.

I don't know the stats but I'm not sure how we are the most heavily taxed state. When I lived in Louisiaian, our sales tax was higher and our property tax was a LOT more. Arkansas is one of the few states that keeps a balanced budget though. I don't like paying high tax anymore than the next person but paying sales tax on my purchases isn't really increasing my taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 11:25 AM
pek

14 posts, read 3,582 times
90% of what I buy comes from Amazon. Living in TX now, and amazon automatically charges me tax on what I buy, since they have facilities in TX.

However, if we retire and relocate to AR, I wouldn't want to "lump sum" pay it at the end of every year. I'm worried about the whole "state income tax" thing in the first place. As an adult, I have never lived in a state with state tax.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:41 AM

2,500 posts, read 708,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pek View Post
90% of what I buy comes from Amazon. Living in TX now, and amazon automatically charges me tax on what I buy, since they have facilities in TX.

However, if we retire and relocate to AR, I wouldn't want to "lump sum" pay it at the end of every year. I'm worried about the whole "state income tax" thing in the first place. As an adult, I have never lived in a state with state tax.
.........."if we retire and relocate to AR "..

I did just that and my savings in real estate taxes were of a much greater benefit than my worry over state income tax.

(actually, the real estate taxes are the reason Texas got scratched from my re-location list early on )

Old 02-08-2017, 11:41 AM

35,603 posts, read 19,207,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have been a soppoter of the bill forever and I am as conservative as they come. OP, first of it is a bill that Womack is trying to push thru on a federal level, not just AR. If it becomes law, you can gripe all you want, but it wiil be inposed nationwide and should be.

Of course I love the idea of not paying tax on my Amazon purchases and other on line products, but how do you expect our cities and the small business man to survive without us paying taxes on our purchases? I have to honestly say, I see nothing wrong with this. Everyone wants something for nothing, that isn't the way it works.

What I do resent and that is paying taxes on food.
I dunno, but I always thought our cities and the small business man got a break because purchases on-line also include shipping and handling. And many of the purchases on-line are for products that the local small business man doesn't stock. And this tax just makes it that more expensive.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:15 PM
pek

14 posts, read 3,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone
I did just that and my savings in real estate taxes were of a much greater benefit than my worry over state income tax.

(actually, the real estate taxes are the reason Texas got scratched from my re-location list early on )
we sound like birds of a feather. The reason we want to relocate is due to the extremely high property taxes where we are.

I bet most state income taxes on small/medium income (mostly SS) would be way less than what I pay in property taxes in TX.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:30 PM

2,802 posts, read 707,088 times
This new Amazon sales tax is happening in Oklahoma, too, starting March 1.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:38 PM

61,666 posts, read 66,702,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Actually, this has been the law for years, at least in my state, and I think in all states (it's called the "Consumer Use Tax"), it's just that the consumer has been expected to voluntarily keep up with their online purchases and report it when they file their state income taxes.

I've been doing it ever since I was made aware that I was supposed to....I have to admit I was unaware of it for several years until my state returns added a line for it on the form. I was like, "Whaaaaa?" and so I googled it.

I just make a file in my email program every year (because you always get an email when you make an online purchase) labeled "2016 taxes", etc., and file all the emails for purchases in there. Then I go there and add them all up when I file my state taxes. A little annoying, but as Nita said, necessary.
you are totally right; it just has not been enforced. All that will happen from hence forth is the law will be enforced.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Arkansas is already one of the most taxed states in America and we have pathetic little to show for it. We have a high poverty rate so any new taxes is just going to make it more difficult to get ahead. And then on top of that, asking us to be accountants and keep track and records of every penny bought online is just ridiculous. Only in Arkansas. If I am charged sales tax when I make the purchase and then asked to pay sales tax again on the same purchase when I file my taxes, then that is flat out double taxation and wrong.
ok, think how you want, but it is not double taxation. Right now, if you buy on line and the merchant happens to have a facility in AR you are charged tax anyway.
As for property taxes, have you checked what they run in many states compared to here? We lived in Texas for 13 years; moved in 2001. We had a small home, outside of Dallas that was valued at just about $130,000. Our property taxes were about 2300. Here our home is valued at $156,000. Our taxes are barely over 1000.00. Car and home owners is a similar story.

As pointed out, but you are choosing to overlook: we are one of the few states with a balanced budget. That to me is saying something plus as others have said: the law is already in place, just not enforced. That will, now, most likely change.

Last edited by nmnita; 02-08-2017 at 01:51 PM..

Old 02-08-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I dunno, but I always thought our cities and the small business man got a break because purchases on-line also include shipping and handling. And many of the purchases on-line are for products that the local small business man doesn't stock. And this tax just makes it that more expensive.
I am sure there are items we all purchase on line we can't get locally, but as for shipping and handling most on line companies now are not charging S&H if you order $25 or $50 worth. Sometimes less, sometimes more and if you are a Amazon prime member you pay nothing for shipping plus delivery is 2 days or less.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:04 PM

1,156 posts, read 618,181 times
Well the more I've looked into this, it seems to be becoming the law in most states, so Arkansas is not the exception. No one is being double taxed, I'm not sure how someone would even think that? You are just paying state sales tax (6% for AR) where you weren't paying any sales tax before.

Btw: My yearly property tax is $555 for two homes on 40 acres. Where else could I live for such low property taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas