U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 02:16 PM
pek

14 posts, read 5,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla
Btw: My yearly property tax is $555 for two homes on 40 acres. Where else could I live for such low property taxes?[LEFT]

In TX I pay over $8,000 a year for two "average" houses on small lots.

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 02:25 PM

3,283 posts, read 926,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am sure there are items we all purchase on line we can't get locally, but as for shipping and handling most on line companies now are not charging S&H if you order $25 or $50 worth. Sometimes less, sometimes more and if you are a Amazon prime member you pay nothing for shipping plus delivery is 2 days or less.
If you are an Amazon prime member, you are paying for shipping but through another route.

I always choke a little when I read that someone thinks something is free when they're paying to have it.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:01 PM

6,643 posts, read 2,347,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ok, think how you want, but it is not double taxation. Right now, if you buy on line and the merchant happens to have a facility in AR you are charged tax anyway.
As for property taxes, have you checked what they run in many states compared to here? We lived in Texas for 13 years; moved in 2001. We had a small home, outside of Dallas that was valued at just about $130,000. Our property taxes were about 2300. Here our home is valued at $156,000. Our taxes are barely over 1000.00. Car and home owners is a similar story.

As pointed out, but you are choosing to overlook: we are one of the few states with a balanced budget. That to me is saying something plus as others have said: the law is already in place, just not enforced. That will, now, most likely change.
The issue has to be looked at from multiple angles, not just a property tax comparison. I don't own a home so property tax has no benefit to me. I also never had to pay property tax on owning a vehicle in Texas, but I do here! I did some checking and according to this site, Arkansas is ranked 19th in tax burden.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/

While that is certainly not the worst, look at the states ahead of it. ROI is the most important factor:

https://wallethub.com/edu/state-taxp...i-report/3283/

Arkansas is ranked near the bottom at 44th. Texas is 16th. For the tax burden put on Arkansans, the ROI stinks! Arkansas sucks in almost every one of the main categories - Education, Health, Safety, Economy, and Infrastructure & Pollution. I would take health off the list because we do have some excellent hospitals here, and pollution is not really a problem, but our tax burden is on the level with Northeastern taxes that offer a lot to their communities.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:23 PM

1,224 posts, read 673,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
If you are an Amazon prime member, you are paying for shipping but through another route.

I always choke a little when I read that someone thinks something is free when they're paying to have it.
well of course nothing is free. I love my prime membership. I get 2 day shipping, free kindle books each month and prime movies and tv series. It's $99 and well worth it. I think you knew what she meant by saying "free". No reason to choke.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:04 PM

355 posts, read 168,892 times
WalletHub has an interesting way of putting their own spin on things.

In the first link you provided I have no idea where they are getting their property tax numbers, but they are wrong.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:10 AM

62,667 posts, read 68,750,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post

of course you are right, but we are paying $100 a year for prime; I have never kept track but i am guessing we save 2 to 3 times that much by not paying taxes or shipping.. Again basically you are correct and of course nothing is free. I certainly didnt't mean to imply we get something free.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:22 AM

62,667 posts, read 68,750,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The issue has to be looked at from multiple angles, not just a property tax comparison. I don't own a home so property tax has no benefit to me. I also never had to pay property tax on owning a vehicle in Texas, but I do here! I did some checking and according to this site, Arkansas is ranked 19th in tax burden.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/

While that is certainly not the worst, look at the states ahead of it. ROI is the most important factor:

https://wallethub.com/edu/state-taxp...i-report/3283/

Arkansas is ranked near the bottom at 44th. Texas is 16th. For the tax burden put on Arkansans, the ROI stinks! Arkansas sucks in almost every one of the main categories - Education, Health, Safety, Economy, and Infrastructure & Pollution. I would take health off the list because we do have some excellent hospitals here, and pollution is not really a problem, but our tax burden is on the level with Northeastern taxes that offer a lot to their communities.
Have you ever heard of slanted studies? I guess when you get your information from one source you do not understand there are ways to play with numbers.

If you really think, because you choose to rent you are not paying property taxes think again; Don't you realize your landlord has factored in the taxes when he/she set your rent? That is a poor excuse.

Car taxes after you pay the sales tax on your car you are not paying anymore in car taxes than you paid in Texas for car registration each year. Or we aren't anyway. I don't have a clue how much your taxes are on your car.

Yes, studies show where we are compared to other states when it come to quality of life, what you are not considering nor do these studies, we are a rural state with a few regions being extremely poor, thus bringing down the overall figures. Studies are not meant to be taken quite as seriously as you seem to think. Anyone, if they check hard enough can find a chart or study to prove a point. The only problem with that is: any figure can be challenged and found wrong by someone.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:45 AM

1,187 posts, read 3,372,162 times
I'm amazed the land of Walmart has managed to hold out this long. This will probably spawn no-name boutique websites that don't care about the law. Same thing is happening with online e-cigarette/e-juice sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas