Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 2,815 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone.

I just joined this forum today looking for help and guidance. I am anxious to hear from anyone willing to assist.

Where do I start?

Well My name is Neil. I have lived in Elkhart Indiana and in Cassopolis Michigan (the border is very close to both) for all of my 32 years of breathing. I have a girlfriend (27) named Nicole. A red healer named Kruger and 2 cats Heisenburg and Sid.

My girlfriend and I are ready to leave this state in the dust. Her reasons are defined due to her past in this area. She suffers from depression and some anger issues. She really is a lovely person and a change of scenery will be a blessing.

As for myself Im through with the the whole idea of winter ( this year has been the exception ) and I also need a change. I love the outdoors.

I've never posted in a forum before so things may seem out of place.. sorry.
I have been at my current job for Going on 6 years now. I am an Operations Manager and a Project Manager for a Telecommunications Company. I have been shafted on bonuses and pay raises for a while now. I tried to secure a telecommute position withing our company but that position was cast aside and would not be getting filled. That would of allowed me to move anywhere I wanted to (given i could get to wherever that may be).

I really am a jack of all trades though. I welded for the majority of my working career and can do anything that pertains to welding fabrication. I got my associates in Computer Network Systems a few years back. I love building things wood, metals whatever it may be. I am great with computers. I am fantastic on a forklift. I can manage the heck out of situations. I can do a lot and I have come to like working and dont mind doing so.

So I guess I say that to say this.
We want to move to Arkansas.
I cant afford to come for Job interviews or travel to see towns, places or houses before moving there. Yes it sucks but its not very likely. And if I would be able to it would be once while I took vacation and that would be it. I use the website Indeed to post my resume in hopes of finding a job that would do an over the phone interview but that has not happen thus far.

From what I have gathered from looking in other posts is that Arkansas has low paying jobs. Is that entirely True? I will be honest and tell you all that my current salary is 43,000 year. I truly do not mind making less if it means my quality of life is better.

I need a place to live and a job. The rest will fall into place with my hard work.

I do not know if it needs to be said but since this is the internet i will say it but I am a REAL PERSON in search of real answers.

I truly appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this and reply.

Thank you
Neil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 01:30 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,361,632 times
"I am an Operations Manager and a Project Manager for a Telecommunications Company."....No offense intended, but your current PM salary is pitiful.
If you have solid PM experience, a track record for being on time and under budget and have not pursued your PMP certification, I suggest you do so. With a PMP, you can move anywhere you like, and double/triple your earnings. A PM is perfect for a telecommute position, I did it for years in your chosen field....even from my RV, 2000 miles from home.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Last edited by gemstone1; 02-21-2017 at 02:41 PM..

Old 02-22-2017, 05:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
I know you say you can not afford to come for interviews or to house hunt. Unfortunately there are not a lot of companies that will hire without a personal interview. They are do first interviews and sometimes second one via the phone, but you will have to post on line and be prepared to travel here if necessary. You might get lucky and not have to, don't count on that.

as for salary, and cost of living. They normally go together. If you live in a state that has a lower cost of living, they probably have lower salaries. It all evens itself out.

All I can say, and others will probably agree, is you will probably like AR, especially the NW corner, but there is no way of knowing unless you visit.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:54 AM

Gemstone1-

Yes I agree that my current salary is abysmal and I have been working on that for a while now. I was orriginally just an operations manager and I got an opportunity to prove that I can do Project management with a smaller project to start. That was 8 Months ago but that's neither here nor there. I will take your advice and see what I need to obtain that PMP Certification.

nmnita-

You are sure correct I suppose its that way everywhere. I am trying and trying. I have posted to indeed and I am applying like crazy. I see that Jonesboro AR is about 9 hours away which makes travel more likely.

Question to the both of you.
How would you say the Jonesboro area is? Or surrounding areas?

Also thanks to you both for taking the time to reply.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:18 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
If you have a very good referance, Move to the NW around lowell, Fayettvile area. I know a few places that hire PM's all the time..

Look for company call watcher networking they been hiring PMs for a while. They are in lowell, AR. Blackbox is near by as well and hiring. Lexmark is another one.. So you can find something pretty quickly if they are hiring and you got good refers. Their is another company all R&R out of gravette, that hires, but suggest to stay away from them. They are nice to your face but will stab you in the back quickly to make themselves look good. I know this from past experiance with them, and give you about 100 other Techs and PMs if you want proof. But enough about them.. NW is the area to move for your line of work, plenty of places to go and hire.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:22 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils85 View Post
Gemstone1-

Yes I agree that my current salary is abysmal and I have been working on that for a while now. I was orriginally just an operations manager and I got an opportunity to prove that I can do Project management with a smaller project to start. That was 8 Months ago but that's neither here nor there. I will take your advice and see what I need to obtain that PMP Certification.

nmnita-

You are sure correct I suppose its that way everywhere. I am trying and trying. I have posted to indeed and I am applying like crazy. I see that Jonesboro AR is about 9 hours away which makes travel more likely.

Question to the both of you.
How would you say the Jonesboro area is? Or surrounding areas?

Also thanks to you both for taking the time to reply.
NOTHING IS THERE!.. seriously nothing. Ar State school is all you got, other wise nothing else for your line of work. Try further down to memphis, or west toward NW arkansas. Anything past the arkansas river is all farm land stuff, like logging, farming, ect. PB is a no go zone (pine Bluff).

Old 02-23-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
NOTHING IS THERE!.. seriously nothing. Ar State school is all you got, other wise nothing else for your line of work. Try further down to memphis, or west toward NW arkansas. Anything past the arkansas river is all farm land stuff, like logging, farming, ect. PB is a no go zone (pine Bluff).
good advise: Jonesboro is a great little college town and not much else. You would be much better off in NWA, either Washington or Benton county. As mentioned stay away from Pine Bluff.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:44 AM

Hey all,

Thanks again for the advise and comments. I have a question for anyone to answer.
What is everyone's thoughts on Rogers AR?

Though indeed.com I have an over the phone assessment and if they want an interview I may try to get there.
It is for Preston & Company Inc.
Anyone heard of them? The assessment is for a warehouse supervisor. Hey its a start i suppose.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Old 02-27-2017, 07:22 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,172 times
Rogers is a great city with just about everything you'd need. It does have a lot of traffic though, but it's safe, clean, and is close to many outdoor activities.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils85 View Post
Hey all,

Thanks again for the advise and comments. I have a question for anyone to answer.
What is everyone's thoughts on Rogers AR?

Though indeed.com I have an over the phone assessment and if they want an interview I may try to get there.
It is for Preston & Company Inc.
Anyone heard of them? The assessment is for a warehouse supervisor. Hey its a start i suppose.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
a great city, but I know nothing about the company. Rogers is urban but very close to rural areas, if you prefer to live a little ways from the hussle and bussle..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas