U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 09:04 AM

3,981 posts, read 4,891,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
I think the mountains around the Jasper area are prettier than they are here plus it is much more of a rural atmosphere if that is what you want, plus you are just minutes from the Buffalo river and still close to many beautiful lakes but I have not seen any nicer lake in my lifetime than Lake Ouachita, but JMHO.
True about the mountains and more rural atmosphere in Jasper, and also true the point made by Wes59 about flatlanders driving in those mountains. It can be a little annoying the twists and turns you have to make to get from point A to point B when you are used to just pretty much going "as the crow flies" everywhere you go!

Also true about Lake Ouachita....a really beautiful lake. Greers Ferry and Beaver are also really beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 12:42 AM

553 posts, read 160,947 times
I still say far southern Missouri in the Ozarks around Springfield, or Table Rock down by Branson although the main part of town can get VERY busy during season.

Missouri also has much better firearms laws than Arkansas. In Missouri you do not need a permit anymore to carry a concealed firearm in public. Also Missouri is stand your ground state as well. Arkansas is not and not until recently they didn't even have castle doctrine in their law.

Also a bill is gaining steam to basically get rid of all gun free zones in Missouri too.

Only thing is in Missouri carrying into a prohibited location like a college without a ccw permit is a crime versus with a permit it's just a fine so the permit still offers some protection versus carrying without a permit and accidently carrying into a prohibited building.

Missouri now with a Republican governor and large super majorities are making it a better state especially for business. Smith and Wesson is building a warehouse in Missouri now.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:23 AM

171 posts, read 68,965 times
Thanks for the info, MO. Coming from Texas, I am trying to get a handle on the income tax issue (and how that affects my Texas teacher retirement) and a higher sales tax than we have here. I have heard that property taxes are less though.

The gun issue is important to me- even though I don't bother to carry right now, because I am so limited in locations. I pretty much go to my school and home so it's not a big issue now, but it will be.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:06 AM

42,335 posts, read 32,928,918 times
The Branson, MO area has some sort of tax zone break for retirees fyi. You could google for more info on that if you're interested, I think it applies to Soc. Security.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:08 AM

1,206 posts, read 660,664 times
About the gun issue, I always have one in the door of my truck or on me when I'm walking around on property for possible wildlife encounters. I do have a CC permit but since moving here, I've never felt I needed to conceal. If I lived in Springfield, I would probably conceal often. Whole different world.

I do love Branson. I takes me an hour and 15 minutes to get there so I'm close enough to do lots of shopping there. I stayed there a couple of months during my move and learned quickly to avoid the strip. The constant traffic was awful!

Old 03-03-2017, 10:13 AM

62,298 posts, read 68,283,404 times
love it for shopping and for an quick weekend get a way, but I would not want to live there.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:01 AM

171 posts, read 68,965 times
Nah. I am not leaving Houston to go to the head banging of either Eureka Springs or Branson. I prefer the company of four-legged squirrels...

Old 03-03-2017, 02:58 PM

553 posts, read 160,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
About the gun issue, I always have one in the door of my truck or on me when I'm walking around on property for possible wildlife encounters. I do have a CC permit but since moving here, I've never felt I needed to conceal. If I lived in Springfield, I would probably conceal often. Whole different world.

I do love Branson. I takes me an hour and 15 minutes to get there so I'm close enough to do lots of shopping there. I stayed there a couple of months during my move and learned quickly to avoid the strip. The constant traffic was awful!
AR is fairly gun friendly but not at the same level as Missouri. In Missouri you do not need a permit to carry a concealed firearm. A few places in MO require a permit to open carry, but that's it. If you want a conceal carry permit to give you the added advantages in Missouri, you can always apply for a cheap Arizona permit which Missouri honors and just use that.

I would get a ccw permit just to be able to open carry in one of the few cities that ban open carry to avoid an ordinance violation. Within the next couple years I think that will change too and cities will no longer be allowed to regulate open carry.

Missouri also has stand your ground, Arkansas does not.

At the current time Missouri is more pro gun than Texas. There is a bill for permit less conceal carry in Texas but it doesn't seem to be gaining a lot of steam.

When we were looking to move some place warmer, we noticed that the metro areas in Texas the property taxes were really high compared to Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas