Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2017, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,912 times

Advertisements

I am considering taking a job at Rich Mountain CC in Mena. I know this is a small town in a rural area, which is exactly what my wife and I are looking for. Any info on the area would be appreciated. What is the college's reputation? Is the community involved with the school? How is the housing/land market? Is it a "friendly" community? My wife and I are both 50, and looking for a nice, quiet place to finish out my teaching career and retire. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 12:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wescude View Post
I am considering taking a job at Rich Mountain CC in Mena. I know this is a small town in a rural area, which is exactly what my wife and I are looking for. Any info on the area would be appreciated. What is the college's reputation? Is the community involved with the school? How is the housing/land market? Is it a "friendly" community? My wife and I are both 50, and looking for a nice, quiet place to finish out my teaching career and retire. Thanks in advance.
Personally, never been to Mena but have heard nothing but positive things about the town.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:44 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,563 times
great small town, every body knows everybody business is how close nit it is..Just not much to do, but out door stuff if you like that.. other than that.. small quite little place.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:36 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,902,176 times
Now you are talking about "my world" A very long time ago I spent my teen-age years there and still have family there. My sister had been away for 20 years but moved back a few months ago after retiring. She has a friend who teaches at the college and the friend seems to be happy with her employment/employer. I'm sure you know it is now affiliated with the University of Arkansas. They also have a good hospital there and "lots" of doctors for a community of that size.

I don't know about housing except Sis had kept her house there and considered buying, renting, or building. I think I remember her saying there was not much choice of rentals. She ended up "gutting" her house and completely rebuilding the inside which I thought was a good move. There are several vacant building lots on the west side of town as the result of the tornado, in fact, she owns one of them.

If circumstances permitted, I would be happy to move back there.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:33 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Now you are talking about "my world"
I knew you would show up.

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 02-28-2017, 01:03 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,902,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I knew you would show up.

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas