U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 07:22 PM

162 posts, read 54,939 times

Advertisements

We are trying to decide between moving to southern Missouri or Northern/NW Arkansas. We are moving to Fort Smith this summer from Texas, and will be there for two years while we wrap up our working careers. Then we plan on retiring and enjoying the mountain views. How do Missouri and Arkansas compare on taxes for retirees, home taxes, sales taxes, and just general cost of living. I'd like to know your opinions.
Note: I will cross post this in the Arkansas forum too

Wes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 02:36 AM

326 posts, read 100,006 times
Check out the Racial makeup and crime statistics for the areas....Missouri had a lot of towns invite in a lot of Section 8 people and who place went to hell with tons of scams and crime, by this I mean 50/50 racial split of white/blacks. Most of these blacks were moved out there under lie that work was available and forced to hustle or work the drug trade in order to get by as there was just no work. A single person would definitely notice pretty quickly when you are not left alone about 'dating' which can lead to violence against the victim in the city. Stinks as rural policing/sheriff will cooperate and even ruin female to place with drug dealers & keep her there. As I browsed the house for sale ads, I noted WAY TOO MANY kicked in back doors in some Missouri areas while Arkansas is still hiding sex abuse of all ages in some areas including cities ... End up with sheriff that will ignore methie or druggies until he does a felony but it means a rural homeowner had to own firearms to be okay away from 'town life' and resident had to finally deal with a home invasion by blowing the guy's knees off -- was no reason to try to bother this rural homeowner either as perps car was still operational and did not need gas. Definitely worth looking at crime stats with this website's city/town name section and see if the crime rates seem a little high for the population as could be high Section 8 levels...many of the towns refuse to take police reports from repeat victims or women alone but you cannot tell until you move to the area and see what locals tell you if you ask about life around the area.

I highly recommend you rent as there are MANY more factors involved as people who bought existing housing were being busted out in some areas while the people who bought new houses were left alone as it keeps the building contractors working. The rude kids are always a help on knowing if something will be annoying about the area if they are bothering retirees. You could RV around for a while to see what suits you.

Missouri has some REALLY good housing deals without good internet except towers....I'm biased against Arkansas due to my own personal experiences so I avoid the area completely.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:31 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,901,224 times
"I'd like to know your opinions". ...opinions are fine, everyone has one...however they are no substitute for facts. Do your own research once you have had your fill of opinions. The internet is full of tools to help retireees narrow down the best place to retire based on all sorts of factors, like... taxes (sales, property, social security, pension, estate), weather, activities, continuing education, entertainment, access to healthcare, etc. Everyone enters retirement with different priorities, what are yours ?

State by state tax friendliness article This gives you a way to compare the tax enviroment by state.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 02-22-2017, 04:55 AM

61,666 posts, read 66,702,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post
We are trying to decide between moving to southern Missouri or Northern/NW Arkansas. We are moving to Fort Smith this summer from Texas, and will be there for two years while we wrap up our working careers. Then we plan on retiring and enjoying the mountain views. How do Missouri and Arkansas compare on taxes for retirees, home taxes, sales taxes, and just general cost of living. I'd like to know your opinions.
Note: I will cross post this in the Arkansas forum too

Wes
Wes, I can only tell you what we have been told based on some people's experience. We haven't lived in MO. We have visited a few times and do some of our shopping there as it is only 8 miles from where we live. Of course I think you are talking SoWest Mo. I would never moved to the eastern part of the state or one of the larger cities.

Taxes overall are a little lower in MO. except for property taxes. Ar freezes property taxes on seniors which can be a savings. I think charts will show the over cost of living is lower in NWA. But as many know, I am not a huge believer in charts. So much depends on so many things. How one person lives, shops, lives can be very different and affects col in my opinion.

Ft Smith reminds me somewhat of SW MO. the towns north of Ft Smith, are a little prettier in my opinion.

we have found the people in NWA a little friendlier. There isn't a big difference.

Activity wise, NWA takes the cake there. We really do have so much to do, all within a 1/2 of so, depending on where you live. SW Mo not as much. Again, it depends on what you want when it comes to entertainment.

You can only find out by visiting the area. I know you are going to have 2 years to do just that. You will probably find there is not a lot of differences in the 2 states. I think NWA is a little more cosmopolitan due to the companies that are based here. We have a lot of people from all over the world calling NWA their home. SW Mo is made up of many small towns, no really large cities. It is really farm country.

NWA has better medical facilities. Remember, my views are based on NWA and SW MO. If you were to go further into MO. it would be different.

Either state will give you a wonder life.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:26 AM

nmnita: as you know, we are researching the crap out of this. We KNOW we don't want to stay in Fort Smith- it is a means to an end for us. In the 2 years, we will grab the dogs and take trips through the area and see how things look. I never realized how difficult it is to be able to move ANYWHERE we want, with no restrictions to speak of. We are just looking for the prettiest place with the least taxes shredding our retirement.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 390 times
Having options is a great thing isn't it? But it leaves so many choices that it can be tough to decide.
We are in the Chicago area now and have researched a number of areas...AZ, TN, (Nashville area and Knoxville area), AR, and eastern MO.
We are pretty much decided on NWA for our retirement location. It is so beautiful, so many things to do both outdoors and indoors, friendly, and very affordable after decades in stinking corrupt Illinois. We are looking forward to NWA for home.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:06 PM

1,156 posts, read 618,181 times
I think it's important to decide what you want the atmosphere to be like. Since you will be retired, you'll be at home more often and have time to do many activities. What do you want to see when you look out of your window each morning? What is most important? I really think the differences in cost of living for retirees is going to be negligible from AR to MO.

Think about the things that are important to you, the things that you are not willing to compromise on, and that should help narrow down a few spots.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:49 AM

Holly- Our # 1 is still the Jasper area. That area is amazing. We just felt like we needed to look at state taxing issues, how they will handle my teacher retirement, how they will handle my wife's SSA, how far to supermarkets/Sams, etc.

Blymvs: Some on here know what we have gone through in looking for the "forever" home. We have toured NM, Az, Ut, Co, Wy, Mt, Id, Tn, Ga, Al, SC, NC. it came down to milage back to the Houston area to see the grandkids, and cost of living in the state. We loved the western states, but too expensive. We loved the Tenn/SC/NC areas, but too far. NWA seems to fit all of the requirements, but we still have a couple of years to nail it down.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:08 PM

626 posts, read 146,939 times
Cant belive i am saying this, but try HSV.. hot springs village for your type of retirement. Cost of living is decent. NWA is decent but climbing up a little every year due to high demand of employment. When people start to get paid decent, they will start jacking up the prices because they can afford it now.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:58 PM

We may look at the Village area, but my wife HATED Hot Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas