U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 11:55 AM

159 posts, read 71,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
no one including myself every said this was not a public forum; that is what makes CD so special. You referred to the idiocy of people do something or believing something, I am simply saying I can't believe someone would post about something they know nothing about except for something they most likely found out by googling.

Having the Bible as the state book, is not pushing religion down anyone's throat. was there anything in the article that said the proposal was passed or is about to be passed?

As for what did our fore fathers mean? You do not really know, nor do I. It is a matter of opinion and interpretation.

Last but not least, I have said it over and over: I am not in favor of the proposal at all, but I am not going to lose any sleep over it either way. I rest my case. I doubt we will hear another word about it.
I didn't call anyone stupid for believing in anything. What I meant was that the legislators sponsoring this, as well as anyone in favor of pushing this through, is an idiot.
I didn't find out about this by googling. I just saw in on C-D.
I get that you aren't in favor of it (never said you were) but you are wrong to think this has no chance of passing and will never be heard of again. Okay, maybe the chances are low, but that doesn't mean you wont hear about it again.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:05 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,990,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
........" next to the Buffalo river "...

There is a 6 mile buffer.
My understanding is that six miles isn't enough of a buffer since there is a tributary river nearby and porous karst terrain which allows waste to seep through as a faster rate than non-karst.

Maybe someone can write a book about that whole ordeal and it could be the state book.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:03 PM

1,425 posts, read 2,000,448 times
There is no 6 mile buffer regarding the Buffalo River. The "rule of thumb" that the feds used was "as far as the eye could see from river level", looking up the hills either side, they took to establish the 1st National River. My farm was less than 1 mile from the river in Loafers Glory, Searcy County. It was part of a larger farm that was on both sides of the river....until the feds used the eminent domain statute to take the center out of the farm which bordered the river. This google maps earth view will show where the farm is in relation to the river....go to the map view and zoom out to see the park boundry. Loved my time there...was 2 miles to the nearest neighbor.

However, all of this has nothing to do with the original thread intent....so, back to the discussion.

Regards
Gemstone1

Last edited by gemstone1; 03-22-2017 at 04:37 PM..

Old 03-23-2017, 10:17 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,092,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
There is no 6 mile buffer regarding the Buffalo River. The "rule of thumb" that the feds used was "as far as the eye could see from river level", looking up the hills either side, they took to establish the 1st National River. My farm was less than 1 mile from the river in Loafers Glory, Searcy County. It was part of a larger farm that was on both sides of the river....until the feds used the eminent domain statute to take the center out of the farm which bordered the river. This google maps earth view will show where the farm is in relation to the river....go to the map view and zoom out to see the park boundry. Loved my time there...was 2 miles to the nearest neighbor.

However, all of this has nothing to do with the original thread intent....so, back to the discussion.

Regards
Gemstone1

I never said there was a 6 mile buffer law .

I read that the farm is 6 miles from the river thus not right on the river like a poster stated.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
You might have something there. Have you heard about the industrial hog farm that was placed next to the Buffalo River which is America's first national river? The people of Arkansas are fighting that one.

Back to the specific topic. Arkansas has some really interesting books that characterize the people of the state. Some are probably more specific to region such as Ozarks, Ouachitas, Delta, etc., but there is something out there. I like the idea of True Grit by Charles Portis. I've read it and have seen the John Wayne movie. I can't remember if Judge Parker is mentioned. Rooster Cogburn is modeled off of his deputies.

..........'placed next to the Buffalo River "...

Old 03-23-2017, 04:21 PM

Article on the hog farm mentioned above. Sounds like it's too close to the river to me.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 03-23-2017, 05:18 PM

I support that hog farm 100%!

They went above and beyond what was required of them.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:11 PM

"They went above and beyond what was required of them." Maybe....maybe not;

Apparently those who have been investigating since 2013 are not so sure.

more info

from a link in the above article.

But all this has nothing to do with the book....do we need a new thread ?

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas