Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:43 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Arkansas panel endorses naming Bible state's official book

I wish they wouldn't do this. All it does is end up causing lawsuits that the state loses.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-19-2017 at 07:07 PM..

Old 03-09-2017, 03:10 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Why do they have to have a "state book"? That's silly.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:34 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
I agree with you. Unfortunately, the state government has taken Arkansas several steps back in the last twenty five years. Arkansas has some excellent authors and books that would specifically represent Arkansas. Some of those books would include references to the bible and it's place in Arkansas. Of course, John Grisham was born in Arkansas. He is probably the most famous author from there.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:07 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
Pathetic, separation of church and state come to mind!

Old 03-11-2017, 12:23 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Pathetic, separation of church and state come to mind!
There is no separation of church and state here in Baptistan (the Bible Belt). I've recently realized that it's pretty much a lost cause at this point. If you want freedom from religion and/or want to get away from a political system where the Baptist church rules everything with an iron fist, you have to move to a blue (or at least purple) state.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
There is no separation of church and state here in Baptistan (the Bible Belt). I've recently realized that it's pretty much a lost cause at this point. If you want freedom from religion and/or want to get away from a political system where the Baptist church rules everything with an iron fist, you have to move to a blue (or at least purple) state.
I do think even the mention of the Bible being a state book is nuts: I also do not see it happening, so we can probably stop worrying about it, but if you think AR, especially NWA is Bible belt, I guess you hae really never lived in or visited the deep south! As for blue states, you do realize don't you AR was blue state until a few years ago.

Sarahsays Yes, John Grisham was born here and yes, we have some interesting authors from AR, but I totally disagree with you about the government going backwards. Just because someone has different views from you does not mean they are going backwards.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:26 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do think even the mention of the Bible being a state book is nuts: I also do not see it happening, so we can probably stop worrying about it, but if you think AR, especially NWA is Bible belt, I guess you hae really never lived in or visited the deep south! As for blue states, you do realize don't you AR was blue state until a few years ago.

Sarahsays Yes, John Grisham was born here and yes, we have some interesting authors from AR, but I totally disagree with you about the government going backwards. Just because someone has different views from you does not mean they are going backwards.
I currently live in Oklahoma, which is redder than Arkansas. Problem is states like Arkansas, Oklahoma, and various other Southern states are too rural and their more moderate urban populations are not large enough to counter the ultra-right wing, authoritarian rural vote i.e. those who want a strict theocracy. NWA might be somewhat moderate and secular, but Ft Smith, Paragould, Harrison, Star City, etc are not.

Also, Arkansas' blue past is almost irrelevant today. When Arkansas was blue, California was red. Around 2004 there was a great political sort along religious and cultural lines. Arkansas and Oklahoma are as red as ever today and probably will be for decades to come.

When it comes to different views, I draw the line when it goes against the Constitution. The First Amendment guarantees separation of church and state (though the Christian right will try to make the case that it doesn't). If ANY special interest group, whether it's the Baptist church or the leftist anti-gun crowd succeeds in dismantling the Bill of Rights, anything that's left of our rights in this country are gone.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:50 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

You live in Northwest Arkansas which is the thriving and more progressive part of the state. What happens there isn't really all that representative of the rest of the state. That part of the state escaped whatever was going on elsewhere and didn't look back. Arkansas as a state has a lot to offer as a place to live and should be desireable. Something is holding it back. I blame state government. Unfortunately, Arkansas always makes the national news for things like this.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:20 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I don't see how the "Baptist Church" can do much of anything, their not an organized church it's tons of independents that sorta kinda work together sometimes. I can't see that movement being hard to overthrow if a majority stands up against it. It's not not trying to take on say the Catholic Church which is literally a world superpower with trillions (probably more) of dollars in their wallets with power that runs deeper than half the crooked politicians out there.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:53 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Why do they have to have a "state book"? That's silly.
I suspect it is merely a meaningless symbolic gesture. Nothing more, nothing less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas