Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2006, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 13,266 times

Advertisements

Hi
We Are Thinking Of Moving To Arkansas & Like The Horseshoe Bend Area.Can Anyone Help Me With Some Facts About The Town,Jobs, Housing,People,Shopping,Etc? I Was Born In West Plains Mo But Have Not Lived In The Area For 40 Years.Any Help Would Be Appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 02:00 PM

Location: I live in va now and hate it because it is to big for me.
5 posts, read 17,761 times
Default horseshoe bend area

well i was born and raised in west plains missouri but spent most of my time in this area with my friends. i dont now much about the jobs their but i can tell you all of the people i have met their have been so nice and respectful.
I was always doing outdoor things their like hunting, fishing, off-roading in trucks and 4-wheelers and i know that you will never get board if you like doing these things. I was always welcomed by the people in this area no matter were i went. Although their is some racesism that does go on in this area but not as much as you would think. The land scape is very beautiful no matter what time of the year. Hit me back if you have any ferther questions about some of this.

Old 01-01-2007, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 13,266 times
Hi Countryboy
I Was Beginning To Wonder If Anyone Knew Anything About Horseshoe Bend.We Now Live In Iowa Looking For A Change & Love Arkansas.We Would Like To Know Anything Good Or Bad About Horseshoe Bend.Property Prices Are Alot Cheaper Than They Are Here In Iowa.Thanks For Any Info On Horseshoe Bend.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 4,599 times
Horseshoe Bend is a retirement community, mostly settled by northerners. Lots from rural Illinois. There's a few jobs, not great. Can get a decent house for under $60,000, and lots for under $4,000. Median age 62, so it's only half retirees. Really friendly people. Walmart about five miles away, and most of the jobs are east, starting in Ash Flat and Cherokee Village.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,711 times
I will most likely retire near Horseshoe Bend in 3 or 4 years. I love the area. I have 6 acres nearby just waiting for me! I'd appreciate any info!

Old 11-26-2010, 07:33 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasL View Post
Horseshoe Bend is a retirement community, mostly settled by northerners. Lots from rural Illinois.
Uh.....make that the Chicago area, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

Take a look at the "clubs", which are groups that meet & socialize so that they don't have to fraternize with "Dem udder peoples", watch the obits, and listen to the accents.

Horseshoe is one of the places, much like Cherokee Village, where you have a lot of people that feel Arkansas would be a great place if it wasn't for the Arkansans.

There was a "private club" restaurant & bar at the Hillhigh Resort, which use to be great, but a couple of years ago ran in to mismanagement and the restaurant is now closed except for banquets, I don't know about the bar.

There is much turmoil in the city council, MRID, and animal control. There is a group of "citizens" that formed an animal assistance group, and the sparks fly between them and the city.

A couple of nice lakes with fishing & boating, a couple of smaller restaurants, two golf courses, has the Strawberry River running through the south side.

Houses can be had from $15,000, to near $1mil, depending on where you feel you need to say where you live.

A lot of people say they live, "In the country", with their 1 acre +/- lot, paved streets, city water/sewer, blacktop streets, and pizza delivery.

Like mentioned, Ash Flat, Hardy, and a part of 62/412 known as the "Four Lane" are close and offers lots of shopping & eateries.

It's close to a ton of recreation areas.

We recently had a county vote on a 1% sales tax to buy more road equipment and hire more people, which most of us really need because the majority of us really do live in the country and have nothing but dirt roads.

There was great dissatisfaction in Horseshoe Bend with that as, "The city takes care of it", and they felt HWY 289 was just fine.

It got defeated, so....no new road equipment to help our washed-out roads.

I highly reccomend subscribing to the city's weekly newspaper, it's not expensive, the "Pacesetting Times", and read that for awhile to see if it's your kind of place.

Pacesetting Times, Horseshoe Bend AR 72512 -- MerchantCircle.com

There are a lot of places around, close by, that are viable if it's not your cup of tea.

Hope that helps. If you have any more specific questions, I'll try to answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas