U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2008, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Denver
113 posts, read 561,713 times
Reputation: 69

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvarkansas View Post
I think some of the larger towns (and maybe even some of the smaller ones) have Farmer's Markets now. I know Fayetteville does, but that's pretty far away from Mena....but I would just bet that Ft. Smith has one, too. Just to keep you going until the garden gets growing!

Ha! Just did a search (ain't the internet great!) and found out there is one in Mena! Here is the link that tells about it...also you can click on the "back to search page" link and search every county in Arkansas. Cool.

The Arkansas Agricultural Product Market
Before I'd drive all the way up to Fayetteville, (driving across the Boston mountains with an elevation of around 6,000 feet above sea level), from one of the smaller communities in S. W. Ark., I'd suggest you look at Waldron Ark. Its on U. S. 71 and is one of the larger smaller cities in that part of the state. It offers quite a bit for its size. There is also a nice little country store at Y City, which is just a few miles north of Mena.

Last edited by in_the_gloaming; 04-01-2008 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: additional info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2008, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Glendale Arizona
87 posts, read 259,657 times
Reputation: 40
Thanks Gloaming, Your comments and knowledge are just the kind of info we are looking for. One thing though... You mention some 6000ft mountains between Mena and Fayettville. Somewhere I thought I saw that the highest point in Arkansas was around 2700 ft. Not a big deal to us as we are used to running from Phoenix (1400ft) to Flagstaff (7000ft), but just wanted to verify that your 6000ft comment was correct.
Also, your previous comment on the humidity is probably correct. I spent my first 14 years in Indiana, and a year on the Mississippi coast, all before air conditioning, so I know what you mean. As you found out in Tempe, the dry air has it's drawbacks too, and surviving miserable hot weather here means running the A/C's (home and car) at least 9 months. Arkansas will be definitely be different for us after all these years in the desert, but we think that might be good. After all, we don't have a lot of years left to try new things.
Thanks again for your input.
Slim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2008, 10:24 AM
 
Location: AR
564 posts, read 2,065,027 times
Reputation: 605
Don't let anyone make you think the humidity is higher in Arkansas than any other place in the South, though. South Mississippi/Louisiana have us beat by a mile. I know from experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2008, 11:12 AM
 
292 posts, read 1,135,674 times
Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassayampa Slim View Post
Thanks Gloaming, Your comments and knowledge are just the kind of info we are looking for. One thing though... You mention some 6000ft mountains between Mena and Fayettville. Somewhere I thought I saw that the highest point in Arkansas was around 2700 ft. Not a big deal to us as we are used to running from Phoenix (1400ft) to Flagstaff (7000ft), but just wanted to verify that your 6000ft comment was correct.
Also, your previous comment on the humidity is probably correct. I spent my first 14 years in Indiana, and a year on the Mississippi coast, all before air conditioning, so I know what you mean. As you found out in Tempe, the dry air has it's drawbacks too, and surviving miserable hot weather here means running the A/C's (home and car) at least 9 months. Arkansas will be definitely be different for us after all these years in the desert, but we think that might be good. After all, we don't have a lot of years left to try new things.
Thanks again for your input.
Slim
The highest point in Arkansas is Mt. Magazine, at 2753 ft. I think the sea level measurements may be different from the actual measurements from the bottom of the mountains to the tops.

If you've been in Mississippi, you know what humidity is! The humidity in northwest Arkansas is a piece of cake compared to Louisiana and Mississippi. There are advantages to humidity....every time we go to the cabin in winter, my hands get so dry that they crack. That doesn't happen in the sauna that is Louisiana.

When are you guys planning your move? I hope everything goes well for you. Arkansas is a beautiful state and I think you will like it. Keep us all updated on your move! I want to live it vicariously through you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2008, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Glendale Arizona
87 posts, read 259,657 times
Reputation: 40
Thanks Luv, I thought I had seen where the highest point was around that. I suspect that Gloaming was just making a point rather than trying to give an actual number. Here in Arizona and the Rockies we call 2700 ft either a "hill" or a "rise"
We are hoping to make a "property excursion" within the next two months. We have a real estate agent in Mena who has some already picked out for us to look at. We're keeping our fingers crossed that another "event" doesn't happen to postpone our trip yet again. (Prayers will be appreciated, the more the better.)
You and the rest of the gang have really given us a wealth of information and insight on what Mena life is like. Yes, we'll certainly keep you updated as we progress on this new adventure.
Thanks again,
Slim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2008, 06:24 AM
 
Location: Whiteville Tennessee
8,262 posts, read 15,970,893 times
Reputation: 10024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassayampa Slim View Post
Thanks Luv, I thought I had seen where the highest point was around that. I suspect that Gloaming was just making a point rather than trying to give an actual number. Here in Arizona and the Rockies we call 2700 ft either a "hill" or a "rise"
We are hoping to make a "property excursion" within the next two months. We have a real estate agent in Mena who has some already picked out for us to look at. We're keeping our fingers crossed that another "event" doesn't happen to postpone our trip yet again. (Prayers will be appreciated, the more the better.)
You and the rest of the gang have really given us a wealth of information and insight on what Mena life is like. Yes, we'll certainly keep you updated as we progress on this new adventure.
Thanks again,
Slim
I spent this past weekend in the Mena area. BEAUTIFUL!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2008, 06:43 AM
 
Location: The Rock!
2,370 posts, read 6,857,220 times
Reputation: 803
Good God people do we not know how to fact check?!?!?! There is NO location in the state of Arkansas that even approaches a mile above sea level let alone 6000 ft!! Mount Magazine is 2753 ft above SEA LEVEL not the surrounding countryside! Mount Magazine State Park - Encyclopedia of Arkansas First paragraph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2008, 08:01 AM
 
292 posts, read 1,135,674 times
Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Good God people do we not know how to fact check?!?!?! There is NO location in the state of Arkansas that even approaches a mile above sea level let alone 6000 ft!! Mount Magazine is 2753 ft above SEA LEVEL not the surrounding countryside! Mount Magazine State Park - Encyclopedia of Arkansas First paragraph.
LOL...I did a little fact checking and came up with the 2753, as you will notice, but I wasn't sure about the sea level thing and didn't really care, so I didn't take the time to look it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2008, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Glendale Arizona
87 posts, read 259,657 times
Reputation: 40
Luv and all the rest, Here's kind of a crazy question. We both spent our childhood in the Midwest and fondly remember the fireflies or lightening bugs that used to flicker in the night. This is a piece of nostalgia that we miss as unfortunately Arizona has no such thing as a firefly. So we have been wondering if after 50+ years, when we get to Mena will we see fireflies at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2008, 01:32 PM
 
292 posts, read 1,135,674 times
Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassayampa Slim View Post
Luv and all the rest, Here's kind of a crazy question. We both spent our childhood in the Midwest and fondly remember the fireflies or lightening bugs that used to flicker in the night. This is a piece of nostalgia that we miss as unfortunately Arizona has no such thing as a firefly. So we have been wondering if after 50+ years, when we get to Mena will we see fireflies at night?
Ah, lightning bugs. Well, I can't speak for Mena, but I'll tell you this....there is this overlook on Hwy. 23 (Pig Trail) that looks over (of course!) a huge hayfield that runs right up to the Mulberry River in the distance. In the summer, right at twilight, the fireflies light up that whole hayfield. It's like some kind of magical event, there are so many of them! So, while you may not see lightning bugs at your house in Mena, you will definitely see them somewhere while you live in Arkansas. If you have a really open yard, probably not, but if your yard has lots of bushes or is close to some, maybe you'll be able to see them from your porch. Nothing better than sitting out on the porch watching the lightning bugs come out!

I wish I could photograph the lightning bugs in that field....I kid you not, it's totally awesome. I wrote Tim Ernst once and asked if he could photograph it and he said it would be hard. He's working on a "landscapes" book right now, though, so maybe he'll remember what I said and give it a try.

The lightning bugs are already out and about in Louisiana! They may be in Arkansas, too, but my mom is at the cabin right now and she says it's been about 10-15 degrees cooler than here, so they may not be just yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top